PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot!!!

Mark Wilson
09-22-2004, 09:21 AM
i have got to watch the weather forecast more closely. after weeks of inlaws, remodeling, painting, moving kids to college, i found myself with a free weekend with nothing to do. so i decided to fire up the studio and blow some glass. well i did fire it up and i did blow some glass, but boy was it hot. we had a warm front move in on friday, so on saturday and sunday it was in the mid 80's outside. that does not seem that warm, but when the cool air you are bringing into the studio is at 80, it does not cool things down very much. by the end of the blowing session, it was about 120 in the studio, and much hotter in front of the glory hole. i have heard from others that they blow in temperature conditions even hotter, but i do not do very well when it is that hot. i did manage to make some pieces, but i never got in the groove. i would make a few pieces, then shut down the glory hole for about 30 minutes to cool off, then turn the glory hole back on and make a couple more pieces. that is what is nice about having a pilot light burner, i can just turn the glory hole on and off like a light bulb. here is a cylinder i made on saturday. it isn't as cylindrical as i wanted, but then i was so hot its good that i could make anything. you can't see it very well, but there is a stripe of rainbow dichroic near the black.

AMR GlassWorks
09-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey Mark! That is very pretty!! I finally got to "know" the heat from the glory hole and crucible while I was at Glass Stock!! It was HOT!!!!! I had fun though but I don't think that is something I would want to do for a living though! I can now say I made a paperweight, ugly as it is!! :p :D

Beth Myers
09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
BEAUTIFUL MARK!
And not an easy design to do I'm guessing.
I'll be demanding and say....I would love some pics of you working outside!
I'll admit I'm asking alot, but there is nothing better than glassblowing pics, esp. from your studio.
So glad you posted, keep us up to date.
love and pokes in the sides,
Beth

LadyArowana
09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
That is way way too good to be used for kitchen utensils ! Fiona

!Karen
09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
I hear you on the heat! And I only have a torch & kiln going!

Winter can't come soon enough for me!

Great design Mark!!

Becky Mason
09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Mark,

Great colors and pattern. I do have one question though. I've often wondered this, so maybe you can answer it. Why do they call it a Glory Hole? Shouldn't they call it a Hell Hole instead?

Becky

Virginia L.
09-22-2004, 11:42 AM

I have to agree with Fiona's comment, very pretty, I would not be using it for utensils, floating flowers or candles maybe, but NOT anything utilitarian, it just looks to preciouse for that :clap: :clap: :clap: Could you send some of that heat up here, we are having a very cold fall, early and very cold. I have always loved September for its beautiful warm days, NOT THIS YEAR - Beautiful work, despite your adverse situation

CharleneN
09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Mark,

That's really beautiful and I agree with the comments that it is too pretty for kitchen tools.

I don't know how you do it. I think I would faint from that heat.

FiredDesires
09-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I disagree about it being too pretty for the kitchen!!!!! If I had "that" in my kitchen holding my utensils.....well, I'd have to bake you a choclate cream pie as a thank you!!!!
Glad to see you back at work and sharing your art. :clap:

3SistersBeads
09-22-2004, 12:22 PM

That would hold a helluva margarita! :D

Love the colors Mark, as usual................. :wave:

Mark Wilson
09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
thanks for your kind comments. i do not know why it is called a glory hole, it just is. that name has been a glassblowing term for many years. you will find that the sex industry has also taken the name over to mean something quite different, so be careful if you do a keyword search. OMG!!!!! anyway, back to earth, i make stuff like that all the time so it isn't any big thing. i made a napkin holder, a pot scrubber holder, a spoon holder, q tip holders, all sorts of things for the home. i even made a bubble vase tooth brush holder. i figure that i need something for these functions. this way i don't have to buy it and it is kind of nice looking as well. i made a lot of stuff last weekend, and i will try to get around to posting some more. i just destroyed over 100 pieces because i did not have room for them any more. it was kind of good for the soul to free myself from my creations, kind of like when frankenstein freed himself from his monster.

ChinaBlue
09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Mark, you silly duck - I bet you anything that you could have had a "fire" sale (pun very much intended) right here on WC and got rid of all that glass and made a few buckos in the process. Such a shame that you destroyed them, although it's nice that you had a soul cleansing as a result. :)

littlecrow1
09-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Ohhh Mark!!!! :eek: your broke all those pieces?? :eek: UGH! List those puppies for sale before you do that again...ya bout made me spit my soda all over my keyboard when I read that! :eek:

I love your work! :clap: Very pretty!

Helen Simon
09-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Gorgeous work, Mark, as usual!! Thanks for showing, and I think it's a good use of kitchen tools...they get little use anymore in my kitchen. :)
Glory Hole is a term descriptive of the Glory of God..Shekina Glory, which is shiny stuff. Remember when Moses' face shone after he hung around God, and he had to cover it so the people wouldn't freak out? Some of God's Shekina Glory was on Moses...shiny stuff, like fire. And there's a lot of it in Heaven around His throne, too...can't wait to see it, and all that GLASS reflecting it..Love, Helen

Mark Wilson
09-23-2004, 06:40 AM
thanks for your comments. i will try to post more photos soon. we will not be blowing this weekend as it is the last renfest and we are going. we are going to have an open studio in a few weeks, so if you live in or near the minneapolis/st. paul area, and would like to come, please PM me. it will probably be on october 16th from 9am to 2 pm.

StefaniBeads
09-25-2004, 07:30 AM
i just destroyed over 100 pieces because i did not have room for them any more.

Aacckk!! :eek:

Oh, I definitely agree with what some of the others said! Next time, before you think of doing that, pleeeez sell them to us! :p :D

3SistersBeads
09-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Aacckk!! :eek:

Oh, I definitely agree with what some of the others said! Next time, before you think of doing that, pleeeez sell them to us! :p :D

OK, Mark, you're allowed to break SOME but not ALL! I mean, Christmas is coming, man! You could always donate your pieces to a local organization or school. Or to me! :D

I wish I lived near you,
Leslie

Beth Myers
09-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Mark,
Around here we have tons of potters. And every year they have a fall yard sale kind of thing. EVERYONE waits for it and is so excited. You have to draw numbers, then in order you are allowed to select the pieces you want, five piece min. I wonder if this would work for you. I bet it would. If you wanted to try something like that.
With your talent, you would have NO problems selling them at your price.
Hugs to you!! :wave:
Beth

Mark Wilson
09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
when i was busting up those 100 pieces a few weeks ago, it was a pleasure/pain thing. i no longer had room to store them. i like everything i make, but i don't love each piece. so i only had room to store the ones i loved. the problem is that it is a lot of work to advertise, box up, ship, the glass and a much too slow process. yes i know people here at WC and other sites might love to have some of this glass, but i needed to get rid of it right then, not over the next month, right then. so i smashed the glass "art" into little tiny pieces so it was over. now i have to get rid of the smashed glass. right now it is in a 250 pound cardboard container in my garage. i plan to throw out 20 to 30 pound in the trash per week till it is gone. i do not recycle the glass a 2nd time. this time the glass is garbage. sorry that i got rid of some glass you guys might have liked to have, but i had a long way to go and a short time to get there. but i will be making a lot more stuff soon, so there is always next year.

dogmaw
09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
when i was busting up those 100 pieces a few weeks ago, it was a pleasure/pain thing. i no longer had room to store them. i like everything i make, but i don't love each piece. so i only had room to store the ones i loved. the problem is that it is a lot of work to advertise, box up, ship, the glass and a much too slow process. yes i know people here at WC and other sites might love to have some of this glass, but i needed to get rid of it right then, not over the next month, right then. so i smashed the glass "art" into little tiny pieces so it was over. now i have to get rid of the smashed glass. right now it is in a 250 pound cardboard container in my garage. i plan to throw out 20 to 30 pound in the trash per week till it is gone. i do not recycle the glass a 2nd time. this time the glass is garbage. sorry that i got rid of some glass you guys might have liked to have, but i had a long way to go and a short time to get there. but i will be making a lot more stuff soon, so there is always next year.

Mark,

I can use your pieces for fusing. Any chance I can get you to send me a box instead of throwing it out???

Jo

Mark Wilson
09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
the glass i have is all 90 coe stuff compatible with bullseye and uroborous 90. i assume that you would like stuff that is thinner and with some pretty colors in it. as i slowly start the process of throwing the glass away, i will sort out some glass for you, into a seperate box. once i get about 25 pounds of stuff, i will mail it to you. PM me your mailing address. i will ship in a few weeks. if you lived in or near the twin cities, you could have all 250 pounds of the stuff, but the cost to ship it would be quite high. i have no use for it. i just bought 750 pounds of clear glass, so that is my focus now.