PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the signs Part 1/2

Fylia
09-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi,

Just started the second year of comic strip evening classes. This was our first assignment: Write a story that brings you from one sign to another.
I colored it up using acrilics and scanned it, but the color looks better in real.

I know it's not perfect and quite some things could be better and still can be corrected... but it's a start

Fylia
09-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Part 2/2...

Axl
09-22-2004, 09:54 AM
ROLF!!

LOL

Okay! That is *quite* amusing!

How did you go about coming up with the idea with that one?? Did it take you a while to think of what was going to happen, or did it come instantly? I know I probably would not have thouht of something like that, but it definately works!

are these each done individually on their own sheet of paper? It would be quite amusing to do them on signs that were similar shape and colour as real road signs and sota just nail them up along the wall for critique. I can sorta imagine these as the typical yellow daimond-shaped caution signs, perhaps alerting people to the oncoming danger! heh

thanx for sharing :D

AFM159
09-22-2004, 03:07 PM
LOL!

Excellent story! Loved it. Axl's idea is great too, only have them made into real roadsigns and placed along the roadside somewhere for motorists to see! It would be a riot!

Fylia
09-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi Axl and Dave...

Well actually, these are existing signs. Where I live, the yellow diamond shaped signs are not used. Warning signs are usually in red triangles.

The sign I started with is the "toilet" sign... and the last sign (a blue rectangular bord, white border, and in white a man and a girl walking means "pedestrian zone. No cars, or motor vehicles allowed").

Getting the idea is usually the hardest part of the class. We get the assignment, sometimes discuss several ideas, do some improvising exercises, but if the idea doesn't come, it can indeed be quite discouraging. And there's no way of forcing your inspiration. To start with we had a collection of different signs, and then it was just a matter of finding a story to get from one sign to the other. I had a good day that day, it came quite naturally.

Oyeah Axl, I just want to say I'm a big fan of you. For one of my next assignments (a more long term exercise) we can choose something ourselves, we're free to do what we want. I decided to illustrate a song of Tom Waits (black wings), and I'm using your "angel tears" and "black and white" as a source of inspiration. I hope you don't mind...

--- fylia ---

designbyjen
09-28-2004, 10:29 AM
LOL! i like this one a lot! great concepting for being 'stuck in a box'.;)

~~~jen

Axl
09-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Oyeah Axl, I just want to say I'm a big fan of you. For one of my next assignments (a more long term exercise) we can choose something ourselves, we're free to do what we want. I decided to illustrate a song of Tom Waits (black wings), and I'm using your "angel tears" and "black and white" as a source of inspiration. I hope you don't mind...

--- fylia ---

That is VERY cool!!!! I dont mind you taking inspiration from me at all, infact I think its an honor! Thankyou! I hope you'll please post it - I definately wanna see!!