PDA

View Full Version : Do you participate in the Award system?

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 09:25 PM
How many of you participate in the award system, and is there any way to know if you have recieved any merit or mentor points? :D

Lady Carol
09-21-2004, 10:50 PM
You need to have another category....."yes when I remember". I do not know where to find out if you have received any points

jbitzel
09-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Well the every 30 days rule has me. Because when I think awards, I think of the top 10 people who have taught me and if I awarded 30 a month I would feel like I was giving them out like candy. :D

lensman
09-22-2004, 01:40 PM
I HAD to vote no. I do most of my WC'ing at work - sshhh, don't tell! and the anally retentive IT people have such high security set-ups that I am unable to give out awards, click on the bars at top of page or even use the smilies!! I can only put in a smiley if I happen to know the text version and have it converted when I post :(

Glenn

SummerSun
09-22-2004, 03:11 PM
I admit I voted no :o . I don't feel that I come here regularly enough to really be able to use my award points. It would feel unfair to give points at one time to some people, and then forget to give them to others who deserve them. So I figured it's best not to give them to anyone...

I've been actually planning to start giving them since there are so many wonderful people here, who are always willing to help us beginners, and I really would like to thank them properly - and maybe the award system would be a good way. :)

it'sALLart
09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
I vote a resounding no! I absolutely DO NOT LIKE any kind of reward system based on popular votes. It tends to create a system of personalities that start catering to each other and currying favor just to get some kind of merit badge or something else as silly.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes that this kind of thing matters to, but I was also against entering competitions in a lot of the design clubs that I belonged to in the past for the same reason: it's all about popularity, not talent or vision.

If there was a system on WC that had real, respected artists or art professionals doing the judging, then I might be more inclined to take note.

Godzoned
09-23-2004, 05:08 AM
I didn't even know if I could participate. How do you?

jbitzel
09-23-2004, 07:36 AM
assuming you didn't opt out of the program all you have to do is click on the merit and mentor buttons on the bottom of a post. ;)

Godzoned
09-23-2004, 05:21 PM
assuming you didn't opt out of the program all you have to do is click on the merit and mentor buttons on the bottom of a post. ;)

ooohhh is that what that is for? Golly

Roger100
09-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Shazaaam, I didn't know that. Well, duh, I guess I never participated out of my ignorance of the system.

Personally, I tend to agree w/ it'sALLart take on it. But...on the other hand there's some extremely helpful folks here and if it really matters to them then I suppose I really should.

How's that for decisiveness? (Do I get any points?)

--Roger

Lady Carol
09-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I vote a resounding no! I absolutely DO NOT LIKE any kind of reward system based on popular votes. It tends to create a system of personalities that start catering to each other and currying favor just to get some kind of merit badge or something else as silly.

Interesting you think that way. There is actually no way to know who voted for who....therefore it would be difficult to trade favour for favour.

jbitzel
09-24-2004, 09:04 AM
In fact I think the whole idea of it should be a popularity contest. Why not if there is one person who is a friend to all why should they not get an award for being the most friendly and helpful. Just because a lurker may be a better artist doesn't mean they should have more weight in the forums. :wave:

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Interesting you think that way. There is actually no way to know who voted for who....therefore it would be difficult to trade favour for favour.

It's not hard to see a situation where various members vote for each other and communicate via private messages. I've seen it happen on other boards and it can get pretty silly. I think the whole merit system seems rather childish, like boy scouts or brownie points or something. It has no basis in the real world like for instance, an award for excellence from International Artist magazine, or something like that which would be useful going forward.

My whole point is this: What is the end result? Is it being given merit by those who are in the know and have experience or some basis of judging? Or is it being rewarded by popular vote?

In fact I think the whole idea of it should be a popularity contest. Why not if there is one person who is a friend to all why should they not get an award for being the most friendly and helpful. Just because a lurker may be a better artist doesn't mean they should have more weight in the forums

Unless I've totally gotten it wrong (and I'm open to that) and it's supposed to be all about merit for being a good person and giving the right advice... otherwise I don't think it's that important, IMHO. The merit thing just feels too "clubby" for me, I guess, but some people might need that type of thing to feel acceptance or something.

The board would run pretty well without any kind of merit system at all, especially when you consider from reading the posts here that most members don't even know what it is. I find that kind of ironic. :) I don't mean for this to come off as crass, I just think WC would be fine without it.

Lady Carol
09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
It's not hard to see a situation where various members vote for each other and communicate via private messages.
I never thought about it that way.

It used to be that it was automatically given out when you have a certain amount of activity in the forum. I used to have a watercolour badge (cause I did a lot of watercolours) and then I got an acrylics badge (cause I switched medium). Now I only have assorted ribbons for involvement in the RIL and APS. I did like it the other way as it was interesting to see what other artists were up to. But I suspect it might have came down to activity in a forum and once the badge was awarded moving on to the next forum......?

I don't know...I am a cynic at times

Lady Carol
09-24-2004, 10:44 AM
It also raises the question...Can you vote for the same person more than once?

dspinks
09-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes, but not more than once in 30 days.

But I suspect it might have came down to activity in a forum and once the badge was awarded moving on to the next forum......?
Yes, that was a problem in the old system.

Myself, I voted no, mostly because I forget to do it.

Debra

sassybird
09-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I use my points to vote for people that have been active and those that have posted interesting and new information on techniques in working in different mediums.

Marty C
10-01-2004, 10:35 PM
I think the answer to that is yes, but not within a thirty day period.
Like all reward systems, this can be abused a little via a PM mail around, but because of the thirty day time limit no one person can flood another's merits. The merits awarded are only part of the award system. They contribute to the award, but a significant contribution to a forum is also required, in the number and content of posts. It is not sufficinet to post hundreds of replies saying basically "well done". The system is now sufficiently "intelligent" in that it can judge both the length and content of posts.
With this in house assessment and the points awarded by other forum members the awards are judged and handed out. It is not easy to get an award and should hopefully have some real meaning.
A popularity event as stated by Keith has no real meaning, agreed, but the awards here are more than that and require real effort and a genuine contribution be made.

Bioartist
10-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Question, how do you know if you have been awarded points, or what ever..... and what's the difference between merit and mentor???
Thanks
Stacey

Artguy29
10-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Bioartist:

If you sign up for the WC! monthly newsletter, the number of votes you recieved over the course of the month will be in that email. That is the only way that I know of to see how many votes you have recieved. The difference between merit and mentor is simple: The "merit" award is for members who show a general interest in participating on the board, and deserves some recognition for just being a great member of our community. The "mentor" award is for members who are a valuable contributer to the community, and giving someone a mentor point shows that you are appreciative of the time and effort they put into their responses. For more information about the award system, take a look at this article: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/497/ .

Dave

peglatt
10-03-2004, 01:32 PM
no I do not. It is way too confusing for my wee brain. And I also feel that if you have really worked hard on somethig and are very happy and excited about it, if your name is not recognized there won't be much of a response let alone a vote. I go to a lot of forums and see this all the time.Peg L

rafi
10-05-2004, 06:23 AM
My answer is no. Not out of ingratitude, spite or even ideology.

I don't post enough to be allowed to say thank you to the good people who sometimes post very helpful and informative postings.

HRH Goldie
10-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I haven't voted and with good reason. The award system isn't just about members rewarding each other. As far as I understood it you can gain awards for all different things as Carol has already said.
Mind you - I spend nearly all of my time in acrylics and have just hosted a WDE which was wayover a whole weekend of work. My trophy cabinet remains full of cobwebs and echoes lol!
While yes an award is always nice, I defy anyone who didn't enjoy getting an award, it isn't the be all and end all. I shall continue to post as I do. - Reward merit points and mentor points as I want to and when they are warranted. As for myself I get enough pleasure by communicating with like minded people, having topical conversations, passing on information and hopefully learning a great deal along the way.
I am definitely curious now as to whether someone has ever awarded me any sort of point, but shan't look as it would be a bit of a downer if there was nothing at all.
Here's a thought - Maybe it should be like those auction sites eg Ebay where there is a feedback system. When someone has been of help leave feedback. Someone been negative or nasty in manner leave negative feedback.
Maybe this way members can see each others strengths and what subject they are best at helping with.
It is all to easy in this day and age to be ever increasingly cynical let's try and see the good in people instead of the corrupt all of the time. Maybe we can start changing attitudes for the better?
For me and it is JMHO for the most part everyone has been fine on here. If there is one or two 'bad apples' they don't last long. The other members see to that lol!!! :wave:

Christine

~~Kathleen
04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Where are these old threads coming from?:confused:
~~Kathleen

susme48
04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Beats me....and I don't see a merit or mentor thingy at the end of this thread? I see a rating, but that is at the top too. So is that gone now? or am I just hard of seeing? :)

~~Kathleen
04-03-2009, 12:50 AM
If some one searches the archives (four years back) and votes on a poll without comment, I wonder what this individual is up to?
Silly children.:confused:
~~Kathleen

susme48
04-03-2009, 01:57 AM
:lol: yep!

sveldstra
04-03-2009, 07:14 AM
So does this exist at all anymore? I've wondered a few times.

edtree
04-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Sharon - One way to view awards is to click on your WC user name (or anyone elses) and then click on "View Public Profile" and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, you will see the awards area.

Elizabeth

sveldstra
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I did Elizabeth, it tells me what all the awards are for, but I have yet to see anybody having received one. It says to click on the award name to see a list of those who have been awarded one, but when you do there is no list.