PDA

View Full Version : wild berry necklace

AlaskaBarb
09-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't normally post the same photo in two forums, but I so rarely make finished jewelery. This is a prototype for a piece I'm going to enter into a juried show. (apologies to those who already saw it in the Glass Art forum.)

Lampworked currants, blueberries, rosehips, crowberries and a couple of cranberries, using Bullseye glass, and dark brown Czech seed beads for the stems. Makes me feel all hobbity inside.

B

tamjai
09-21-2004, 10:27 PM
barb that is too cool - love it, love it, love it! and yes please do post things in both forums - sometimes i make it over there, sometimes i don't and i'm sure i'm not the only one...and bring more glass people with you! :D
tam

LadyArowana
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
It still makes me think of pie ! Fiona

McDuck
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Barb,

This is so lovely. The beads and the way you put them together. might I ask what kind of wire/thread you used? And never apologize for showing it in two forums. I have no time to go to the glass forumns much at all and appreciate it when you all come over here!

Thank you so much for sharing, again splendid!
-Mary

Charlee
09-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Ooooh don't apologise, Barb. This just means I get to drool over it twice. :evil: It's truly gorgeous and yes, very hobbity. I want to wear it in my hair like a circlet. :angel:

Tutti-frutti
09-22-2004, 01:41 AM
I always want to lick the glassbeads that look like food.lol

it certainly would make me droool :wave:
Katja

Tutti-frutti
09-22-2004, 01:44 AM
I notice a star under member what did I do? to get that and did it just appear today??? :confused:
Katja

Andee
09-22-2004, 03:30 AM
Barb - that's adorable! I love it! Thanks for posting it here, I never go to the glass forum (tho I know I should do it with all the great work there), so don't apologize for posting it twice! :)

Andee
09-22-2004, 03:32 AM
I notice a star under member what did I do? to get that and did it just appear today??? :confused:
Katja

Katja - you made your 50th posting and became a "Member" (= one star)! Before that you were "New Member" with no star! :)

Oskadis
09-22-2004, 04:22 AM
*DROOOL!!* :clap:

AlaskaBarb
09-22-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks, everybody.

Hey, McDuck. I used 49-strand Soft-flex for the main loop, and then two strands of dark olive green Kevlar, waxed together, for the currant branches and danglies, with a lot of retracing in the steps, especially in the rosehips, because they're relatively heavy. Those seed beads are pretty stuffed by the time the thing is done.

I'm going to set up the new digital rectifier this week, and try to make some custom electroformed leafy end-clasps. I'm a total putz at finishing off the ends. (Actually, the whole beading thing is hard for me -- it took two days to string this, and that's time away from the torch. Not cost-effective, but nice for a special costume or something.)

Hugs,
B

Emjay
09-22-2004, 08:45 AM
As I said in th glass forum (and thanks for posting this here, too),that is absolutely one the most wonderful pieces I have ever seen!

Beads-Me!
09-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Barb - that is absolutely gorgeous!!

carebear
09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
absolutely awesome...that's gorgeous! thanks for stopping by our forum.....!!!

carrie

toozygoot
09-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Barbara! I love it! A truly "wow!" piece! You said prototype - does that mean you are still working on the final design? I have a question. I have strung some bracelets using kevlar thread for the little extras I string onto the base. I found that the thread broke. Someone said that kevlar cuts through kevlar. Have you not had that problem and how did you avoid it?

Thanks for considering my question but thank you more for posting to this thread!

pat

beclectic
09-22-2004, 09:23 AM
B, thanks for coming over to wearables and posting your work. That is one of the loveliest necklaces I've seen. It looks like the Spirit of Fall should be wearing this.

You said you don't make jewelry often but you certainly do a wonderful job when you do. One thing I'd like to let you know is that kevlar can cut itself depending on the kind of knots you use. I've never used it myself so I'm not sure what the recommended finish is. Your necklace looks nice and solid so it probably isn't a problem but I wanted you to be aware of this aspect of the material you used.

I showed the picture to a co-worker and she loved it. I knew she would as she has bought viney wire work from me before. The first thing she asked was how much did I think you would charge for the necklace. I said you were making it to enter in a show.

A suggestion, how about a closure that matches the viney part of the necklace, or a blackberry with a seed bead loop or even a glass toggle especially designed to close the necklace, maybe something that looks like a loop of vine with a bar that looks like a stick. I find the silver somewhat disrupting to the design and if it is for a compition then an intragal closure will make it more of a design whole.

Mary Riggs
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Barbara, your necklace is drop-dead gorgeous and reminds me of the Old Masters (of painting fame) and their still lifes.

In my opinion, you are a 'master' at realistic berries! Beautifully string, BTW. :clap:

Prudence
09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Barb, It's beautiful!
I'm glad you posted here; I don't usually go to the glass forum. Pru

flynfire
09-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Very classy.

beadyeyedgirls
09-22-2004, 10:59 PM
barb, that is a beautiful piece--or should i say, lots of beautiful pieces! thanks for posting here; i never have time to go to the glass forum anymore, even though that's what drew me here in the first place. thanks for sharing! & fab job on those berries!! :clap:

chevy1659
09-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Barb,

Your necklace is absolutely gorgeous!! Truly a beauty :clap: