PDA

View Full Version : The Giant Drawing 9/21-9/28

Axl
09-21-2004, 07:55 PM
I had a big project that I wanted to share with you all. Mostly because I'm hoping hat maybe I can get some people's oppinions on the sort of things to add to it... hehe

The Criteria:

One big massive drawing, any medium (as long as its drawing) any support, that is made up of an accumulation of smaller drawings. The catch is that every day we must add another drawing or chunk of drawing to the piece until its due end of term (december-ish).

My idea:

I've decided that since I now have a graphics tablet that i'm going to use this as an exersize to use it, mainly because I'll be able to see the progression as I learn the tool. I'll probably be throwing scanned images into the mix as well, but mostly I want it to be about me learning my tablet. So. Every day I'll add another digital drawing to the mix. I dont have a concept for the entire image... I dont think it has to have a particular concept/theme. I'm just going to do whatever I feel like it.

For you guys:
If you have any thoughts about what might be cool or funky to do, I'd love for y'all to shout out ideas about little images I can add, and critique along the way ofcorse. I'd love to turn this also not only into a project about my progression with the tool, but also illustrating different concepts (by myself and others) and just making a funky image. muaha. So be it subject matter, a n idea, a quote or poem to illustrate, or a choice of media or style to work into the piece - i'm all open for it. yey!

Anyways. Every day I'll post the latest image.

Lets play the game!

Axl
09-21-2004, 07:58 PM
For my illustration class I'm doing an illustration for a vanilla-scented body lotion product. Anyways, neadless to say I have lots of rederences of vanilla flowers, and other random bits for the drawing kicking about.

A colour study of a vanilla flower:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2004/7231-1.jpg

TedDawson
09-21-2004, 10:00 PM
That is beautiful. I wish I could draw like that.

Y'know, what came to mind when you mentioned your project is something that a buddy of mine, Mark Pett, did last year. He does a syndicated comic strip called Lucky Cow. He used to be a teacher, and he organized a project with a high school art class to make the World's Biggest Comic Strip.... ah, and I just checked out his website and see that they did indeed make it into Guinness' Book of Records! Cool! Anyways, here's a link to how they did it and what it looked like:

World's Biggest Comic Strip (http://www.markpett.com/wlcs/index.html)

Now, if you're wanting to use your wacom and do this digitally, if you're working with vector images you could theoretically end up with a massive image without having a massive file size. Add a little bit every day... okay, I lost the train of thought.

I guess a graphic novel wouldn't work, hm? I've long been surprised that hardly anyone has utilized the web for comics. You could have a story that is 12" wide and 200" high, designed to be scrolled through instead of being stifled by panels and page sizes. (Actually, that's how Jack Kerouac wrote On the Road... he typed it, but his original draft was actualy a scroll; one long piece of papaer.)

Or you could do it the old fashioned way: When I was a kid and money was scarce, I'd draw on NCR adding machine rolls that my uncle would give me.

I like your idea of working with the drawing tablet. I can see you winding up with a goth digital version of the Sistine Chapel. I'm sure that's how ol' Mike would've done it nowadays... draw it on the computer and have it printed out like they do for the entire side of a building.

Keep us posted.

Axl
09-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Here's Tonights:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2004/7231-2.jpg

Axl
09-22-2004, 12:04 AM
very VERY cool ted, btw! I love it!!

I dont think i'll be messing with vectore images on this one, because. well. I donno how to do vector stuff *yet* I'm hoping maybe next semester I can mooch my way into an illustrator class and figure some of that stuff now. i think for this particular one i'll try and keep to just drawing/painting in photoshop, so I get as little heat about how much real "drawing" is involved in what i'm doing... I'm sure the moment i bring some of this in I'm going to get a lot of people going "what the hell..."

Honestly, if we can make self portraits of outselves using merely our fingers and an ink pad and call it drawing, I think I should be allowed to scratch on a tablet.

Becides. I draw constantly anyways. If I was adding sketches to a gian piece of paper every day in pencil or pen that would be a joke. Atleast I actually feel like i'm getting something out of this. hmmm.

TedDawson
09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Wow, already this is shaping up to be something awesome. Definitely just keep doing whatever it is you're doing. If I saw that framed, I'd buy it.

Speaking of which, I saw recently that there is a process where you can run canvas through a printer.

Axl
09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
I gotta go get a bunch of crap done, go to work, and then come home and do a self portrait with fingerprints :rolleyes: so I did this one early in the day.

My housekeys. Just. because. well. they were there on the computer table. heh.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/7231-3.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
This is gonna be a corny suggestion . . . but thought I'd throw it out there. The minute you said little drawings all I could think of was a quilt - with each square telling a story - and they could be really random in style or color. You could get really funky with naming it - dragon lairs, or timed pieces - bear with me, just throwing out ideas.

My 2 cents.

"The chicken lady." :evil:

AFM159
09-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Excellent idea, Axl! Great way to learn! I'll keep a watch out and see if there's any thing I can suggest.

Ted - canvas can be run through most inkjet printers. It just needs to be properly primed.

it'sALLart
09-24-2004, 12:26 AM
nice work so far, you've really got the goods! how about a fish in there somewhere? (sorry, i have fish on the brain for some reason) or perhaps a lamp or something that gives off light....

Axl
09-24-2004, 10:46 PM
ok I forgot to update last night. So here is todays and yesterdays

Yesterdays was the angel thingy that I drew during lunch and inked, then scanned anc coloured. Then todays was the weird green mazy thingy going on underneith it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/7231-4n5.jpg

Also. I attached what it looks like overal. For anyone whos curious. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/7231-overall1.jpg

Axl
09-25-2004, 02:57 PM
fish :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2004/7231-6.jpg

it'sALLart
09-25-2004, 04:56 PM
and what a nice one it is! this is a tough assignment and you are doing such a great job. i can't think that it would be easy to keep going.

i used to have a googleey-eyed one like that in my little pond, except it was black. darned heater died during a deep freeze and the little guy never made it..... snif, snif.... made really good fertilizer for my palm, tho. :)

sorry, i just can't really summon up real grief for a fish... a cat or dog, sure, but a fish? hmmm.... it's more like disappointment.

Mice
09-26-2004, 08:27 AM
This allready looks very good! It will be interesting to see how this develops..
uhm..ideas..
How about maybe adding a demon as a sort of contrast/partner for the angel? Just a thought :)

Sketch22
09-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Axl, all I can say is Wow! I can't wait to see it finished. I like how everything is working together already. Nice job on the angel by the way, do I detect a comic collector/reader? I find my style effected severely by my two years of collecting and drawing comics back in high school, after art school and a couple of art jobs, I am trying to develope a style for illustrating children's literature, but it is difficult to get that comic style out of me!

Good luck with the rest of the project!

designbyjen
09-27-2004, 09:50 AM
love dis project! this, looking back, will make school a fond memory. you should def. sneak in some images/phrases that will document this era for you...the sneaky stuff only you will know. ha ha...the new way to 'scrapbook'.
we're all envying you!
~~~jen

kramus
11-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Hello Axl - I'm curious about an update on the project. You mentioned running till Decemberish and must be half way through. Have you developed a master plan, or is something growing together in your compilation/association process? Wonder where a fairly good quality result might be seen. I'm very interested, love your work.

chsm
11-13-2004, 03:56 PM
luv this!!!! keep going!
chris

chsm
11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
still waiting for more of this awesome masterpiece! u r a truly gifted artist!

lemonbird
12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Love this WIP! :) I can't wait to see the next installment. :D

LarrySeiler
12-06-2004, 07:15 PM
wow...gorgeous, lovely...this is fun stuff...glad I took a look!!! Good going Axl!

:clap:

Larry

chsm
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
still waiting....... :(

chsm
01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
still waiting....LOL!

Axl
01-12-2005, 02:23 AM
AHA!!

I've been having some difficulties on my end and have been kinda absent as you've seen. I keep getting emails that people are responding to this thread but I cant get on WC to save the life of me. ANYWAYS I dont have the image on THIS computer to post to show y'all, but in february i SHOULD have internet reliably back onto my computer again and I'll show you. AYE.

I also have the last pics of my gateway to hell. So I can post those too.

Sorry for the delay. :|

coolray
01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Axl

As always, you have impressed me with your work! I love the way you are intergrating different images into just one big piece of art! You always seem to have a flare for making things work together.

I think that this should be a project for us here! I love the idea! and since I too have a graphics tablet, I would enjoy working with it more. Not that we would have to limit ourselves to the computer, any medium could work.

You sure have me on the edge of my seat now!

Terry

chsm
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
what happened? where r u? we need to see more of this plz

sancyr
04-05-2005, 05:19 PM
This is some really great stuff! Have you looked into submitting to White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast yet? You should.

http://www.white-wolf.com/MoreInfo/Submissions/ArtistGuidelines.php
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=contactinfo/artsubmission

Sara