PDA

View Full Version : acrylic underpainting for oil-portrait

AndyfromVienna
09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
hey my dear friends,

im working on an underpainting for an oil portrait, i have mostly worked on the skin and will go on with the hair (she is blonde).

this is done on canvas, 40 x 50 cm.

a great painting time to all of you!

*hugs*

Andy

http://www.wasserfarben.at

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Looking forward to seeing this develop Andy.....she's certainly looking at the viewer. :) Good eyes! ;)

sassybird
09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
This is going to be beautiful. Just what you have done so far is very compelling. Her eyes draw me in.

Lady Carol
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Amazing already. I am looking forward to seeing how this will unfold, even if you do it in oils. Please, please keep us posted on the progress.

gini/art
09-22-2004, 12:27 AM
It looks great!!! I am not very familiar with underpainting, is it something I should look into? I like what I see, I guess I am not sure why it's done. Any advice? Thanks all Gini :wave:

AndyfromVienna
09-22-2004, 03:34 AM
hi Gini,

personally i do it because i can develop a painting in acrylics much faster than in oils, it doesnt take time to dry ......... the other reason is that it makes a nice effect if you paint out of a real dark background - again this background/underpainting dries much faster - within a few minutes .... so it is pretty practical reasons .....

:)

*hugs*

AndyIt looks great!!! I am not very familiar with underpainting, is it something I should look into? I like what I see, I guess I am not sure why it's done. Any advice? Thanks all Gini :wave:

gini/art
09-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks Andy, I appreciate the info. Again, you have done an awsome job with the underpainting. I am looking forward to see the completed project.

:wave: gini

AndyfromVienna
10-30-2004, 05:54 PM
hey friends,

here is the latest progress in this one, i ll be working on the background and the dress whenever i find the time to. it will be finished with very thin layers in oils.

*hugs*!!!

Andy

:) :)

Einion
10-30-2004, 06:50 PM
The hair looks great Andy, nice job on a difficult colour.

Einion

Mystfy
10-31-2004, 01:43 AM
This is great. I would love to see a step by step from you as I am only just learning portraiture. If you ever feel the urge to do a tutorial I would definatly be one that would be very grateful. :clap: :clap:

Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks so much for sharing :D

Blessings
L*L
Char

TxAggieDarlin
10-31-2004, 08:36 AM
You have done a wonderful job...

I like the thought of acrylics under the oil...I have not tried oil, but I want to and I think this would speed things up a bit....

She is really beautiful

Rosa Weitzel
10-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Its a lovely angle, I like your idea of underpainting with acrylics. I hope you are going to soften the lines around her mouth and under her chin, she is young and beautiful and harsh lines there age her. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
Rosa

AndyfromVienna
10-31-2004, 06:00 PM
hey Rosa,

yes, the softening will be done with oilcolors, in very thin glazes. sometimes they smooth too much (although you are right, can one ever soften young women's faces too much?) so i like to keep some charakteristic lines. im glad you like my painting!!!!!

*cheers*

Andy

Its a lovely angle, I like your idea of underpainting with acrylics. I hope you are going to soften the lines around her mouth and under her chin, she is young and beautiful and harsh lines there age her. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
Rosa

AndyfromVienna
10-31-2004, 06:03 PM
thank you!

i hope youll try this technique, the acrylics do dry much faster then oils so it really speeds up the progress ....

*cheers*

Andy

You have done a wonderful job...

I like the thought of acrylics under the oil...I have not tried oil, but I want to and I think this would speed things up a bit....

She is really beautiful

AndyfromVienna
10-31-2004, 06:05 PM
hi,

i have 2 tutorials (but for watercolors) on my website:

http://www.andywatercolors.com

they are very similar to how i paint in acrylics!

thanks for your nice comments!

*cheers*

Andy

This is great. I would love to see a step by step from you as I am only just learning portraiture. If you ever feel the urge to do a tutorial I would definatly be one that would be very grateful. :clap: :clap:

Absolutely beautiful work. Thanks so much for sharing :D

Blessings
L*L
Char