PDA

View Full Version : wild berry necklace

AlaskaBarb
09-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Last week I made some blueberries, rosehips, currants and crowberries, and said I would post a pic if I made anything with them.

Well, after two days of diddling around -- beads, berries, wire and potato chips all over the kitchen counter -- I think I may have (at long last) come up with what might become a "signature" piece. (With more tweaking, of course....)

Most of my stuff is dark, rooty and organic -- probably things that hobbits and fairies would like.

B

JavaGirlBT
09-21-2004, 05:01 PM
O.M.G. That is mindbogglingly stunning. I think that's the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen.

Lenda
09-21-2004, 05:02 PM
probably things that hobbits and fairies would like.
B
Hobbits and Fairies and LENDA would like!!! That is just fabulous Barb. I mean, I would wear it in a heartbeat! Were the fruit made on a mandrel? I missed your last post on your fruities? Gorgeous job of putting it together, you are so dang talented!!! :D

koregon
09-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I am with the others...GORGEOUS...and I would wear it in a heartbeat to...wonderful job!

Cindy D.
09-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Barb:
Just beautiful!! I love the fact that it is unique - unlike anything else you're seeing - signature piece is right! Way to go!

FrontHallGlass
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
That's just beautiful. The clasp is perfect for the necklace! I love how everything flows right to the end. Perfect.

Rebekah

AlaskaBarb
09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Gosh, thanks. You guys made me feel so good. I'm never sure whether anyone else will like my stuff -- sometimes they say, "oh, that's -- different." LOL :p

I'd love to try electroforming some leaves and bark to mix with the berries. (I bought a digital rectifier and all the stuff, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet.)

Lenda, yes, the fruit was made on a mandrel -- bigger ones for the raspberries and blackberries, and small ones for the blueberries, all made with Bullseye glass.

Hugs,B

Cheng076
09-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Being one of the 'cute' guy you'all let in here I almost never comment on the jewelery but I think I might wear the piece. I am some how drawn to it. Love it.
PJH

BurningScentsations
09-21-2004, 05:27 PM
That is absolutely stunning and wonderful! I love the fairy and hobbit jewelry. Keep up the excellent work!

I love the natural look to your beads and the design of the jewelry is absolutely breathtaking.

I just can't say enough. I love it!!!!!

WOW!!!!

Lloyd

Charlee
09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh my. You've created something utterly delicious and I want it. :evil: Your description is so good and so what I love - "...dark, rooty and organic -- probably things that hobbits and fairies would like." Thanks for the eye candy!

!Karen
09-21-2004, 05:33 PM
You have quite a talent! That is wonderfully put together, the seed work is just the right color to keep it earthy!

Lovely!

maureen
09-21-2004, 05:33 PM
wicked cool....................maureen

Isabel M.
09-21-2004, 05:39 PM
I agree, what an awesome necklace design!!! A show piece for sure!
Isabel

tehale
09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Wondering whether I'm a hobbit or a fairy..... :confused: because I LOVE it! Beautiful work, just beautiful.

Norma623
09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!! No other words....just GORGEOUS!

rosebead
09-21-2004, 06:14 PM
that is so beautiful. I wish I could hold it in my hands. :clap: :clap: :clap:

fikefire
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Oh my that is stunning! Nice work :)

CharleneN
09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Stunning!!

Johanna Stephenson
09-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!

CorvetteJuliet
09-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Oh wow! Beautiful! The neclace design just soooo works with the lampwork. Definately distinctive in a fabulous way! :) ~Juliet

Becky Mason
09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Barb,

When you have men saying they'd wear your necklace, you KNOW you've made something spectacular! I'm in AWE. :eek: :D I just spent about 5 minutes literlly staring at your creation and examining every minute design detail. I have made a few necklaces with multi-strands of lampwork and seed beads, and I swore I'd never do it again. The amount of time I spent making them was outrageous; and they don't even come close to being as intricate as your design. You need to send this picture to every bead magazine out there girl! You've got yourself a winner!!!

Becky

Sophia757
09-21-2004, 06:57 PM
What a beautiful design!

I wish we had a post on here like the "show me your work area" that would "Show me how you manage your jewelry components"! If I want to make something, I have to haul out all my boxes and trays to find the right beads, crystals, spacers - What's your system?

Foofaraw
09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Last week I made some blueberries, rosehips, currants and crowberries, and said I would post a pic if I made anything with them.

Well, after two days of diddling around -- beads, berries, wire and potato chips all over the kitchen counter -- I think I may have (at long last) come up with what might become a "signature" piece. (With more tweaking, of course....)

Most of my stuff is dark, rooty and organic -- probably things that hobbits and fairies would like.

B

OMG awestrickingly gorgeous!!! And funny you mention hobbits, I sit here listening to my son reading The Hobbit as I'm catching up on threads!

emmytr1
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Beautiful, Stunning, ECT...That necklace is amazing, and your beads are astonishing!!! I'll be a farie if I can wear it??? Just for one day????

Kudos to you!!!
Mary Lou

TroyNC
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
WOW :clap: :clap: :clap: That is wonderful!

Bubbyanne
09-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Barb,
Another Barb here. I admired your berry and rosehip beads when I saw them in the S&T. They made me do a double take, they look so real. The necklace you have made with them is just gorgeous. You used the beads you made perfectly, really set them off nicely. Great job. Something I'd expect to see in a museum.
I covet. :evil: :D
More please,
Barb

GinaJ
09-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Yeah. What everybody else said. (WOW...........!!!)

AlaskaBarb
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
I am sitting here reading these notes, laughing -- but at the same time, touched. Really.

Sitting here in my little shop, way up north, I would never have shown this stuff to anyone but my friends at the bead store and the girls in the Scottish Club. They would say, 'oh, that's cute,' and then it would go in a drawer.

I am just so grateful for being able to post here, and for the wonderful artists here on WC

Thank you so much.

B :wave:

Nonie
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Ditto, on what everyone said ...you are blessed! What an amazing piece of artwork. I wish I could hold it and look at it up close. WOW! :clap:

bjcohan
09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
THUD!!!

That is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful pieces I've seen. Gorgeous. Stunning. Utterly amazing. I just look at your necklace and it makes me feel good and warm and connected to the earth. It is, as someone said, delicious.

I keep looking and I keep coming back to it. But then I've always related well to hobbits and fairies.

Thanks for posting this. Can't WAIT to see more of your work.

WOW!!!

Barb:cat:

tulips
09-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Ummm, yeah, what they all said.....BUT, inquiring minds want to know....is it for sale? :confused:

Fyrsmith
09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Barb,

Since I grew up in and still live in Alaska, I am intimately familiar with those berries. :D I probably wouldn't wear it myself, but I sure would try to eat it!!!! :evil: What amazing work! Show us more.

-Don in Kodiak-

Fire Psycho
09-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Captured the organic essence in color, composition, concept and creativity.....brilliant.

Trishki
09-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Now this is stunning art! Wow...how amazingly gorgeous....

and yes - the big question...is it for sale????

BabsW
09-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Simply YUMMY!!

Barbara

LadyArowana
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Why did you have to show me that, I have holiday fat to shed and now I'm thinking about pies ! Lovely work though, and calorie free too. Fiona

MegannsMom
09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Did I ever mention that I'm a Hobbit?

Only taking my eyes of it long enough to write this......

~Cindy

ctseibels
09-21-2004, 11:56 PM
It looks good enough to eat! I love how "real" it looks. You have done a great job of capturing the natural beauty of the fruits themselves, and the vine/necklace. Isn't it fun to finally get it the way you want it? I love the creative frustration that we go through to finally get the "perfect" outcome in a work of art.
Congratulations; it's beautiful!
Carter

chrisdd
09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I can't even find the words to describe how much I love this necklace. The word WOW just keeps running through my mind.

sadiesjewels
09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Now I just have to add my thoughts to everyones praises ... this is just wonderful ... subtle ... and perfect ... yes ... submit it to magazines ... I just love it .. and I'm not prone to leaping up and down when I see something I like as much ...

And I was going to say I was speechless ... lol

Really ... it's wonderful,

sadie

Moth
09-22-2004, 12:32 AM
It is perfect!

I think you should sends it to us for a trial run. We will let you know how us Hobbitses likes it. :evil: ;)

~~Mary Gobsmacked of the Shire

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-22-2004, 01:15 AM
I don't like jewelry all that much but this, I like!

I would like to, however, see some flesh tones incorporated. Like say, um, my neck?

Joan Coffey-Taylor
09-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi,
Your wild berry necklace is so beautiful that it has moved me to make my first entry, ever, on Wet Canvas. I just had to tell you that your beautiful work has reached out and touched me. Congratulations on your glorious creation. You have a fan.

jamilyn
09-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Barb - I LOVE IT!! Where and when are you going to sell it? I'm very interested. Just magnificent!

AlaskaBarb
09-22-2004, 04:44 AM
Hey, Fyresmith. Yup, it's definitely berry season here -- and bear season, as well. Yikes.

------
Thanks again. This particular necklace was just photographed at lunchtime today, -- not a lot of time yet to think about marketing!

Seriously though, it was done for submission in a juried museum show -- (and now, because of your encouragement, a pic to Bead and Button. :p ) If accepted into the museum exhibit, the pieces would go on statewide 'tour' for a period of one year. Wish me luck!

As far as selling, I'm going to approach some 'beader' friends and see if we can make these more cost-effectively. (As it is, they almost have to be sold in a local art gallery because of the time involved away from the torch.)

As to the question about what 'system' I have -- LOL!!. No system -- oh, wait. Yes. Just stuff every square inch of your house and garage with art, costume and lampworking supplies.

Hugs,
B

Juls
09-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Barb,

Looking at your necklace I feel like I could walk right up and pluck a fresh summer berry from it! It is wonderfully done, from the lampwork to the necklace composition. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would say a DEFINITE article submission to a trade mag!

~Juls

Emjay
09-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Just FABULOUS!!!! Both the beads AND the composition! Be proud, be very proud!!!

Smidgen
09-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Barb, Your style is just what I would wear! Love it. Post more of your creations!

Smidge

jowell
09-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Barb This is amazing. I love it. I build fairie houses in my garden and this is just what they or I would wear.
Jo L.

Wiredreams
09-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Nice necklace.

Christy--To your question about system of bead storage.Here is attached pics that the wife uses.We got them from Jewelry Supply,Alittle pricy,I think,but worth it to us.As you see we got 7 more of them after getting the first one.There are only 5 in the pic,I use the other 3.Each container will hold around 100 grams of silver findings and or 125+ 8mm Swarovski crystals,and you have 60 containers on a 5 tier.We still need around 4 more for the rest of the findings and gemstones we have. www.Jewelrysupply.net under the tool section,then go to storage containers.

Fyrsmith
09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Barb,

Are you submitting it to the Anchorage Museum's "Earth, Fire and Fiber" show? I used to enter that every year when I was living there (only twenty minutes from Alaska :evil: ) If it gets in, I may have to make a trip to see the show this year! :D

-Don in Kodiak-

boheme'
09-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Love, love, love your necklace. The first time I looked at it, I thougth it was the real deal or dried berries. Amazing necklace. Hope to see you in Bead & Button and other bead magazines.

Deb Cline

Nette
09-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Wow! That is so beautiful! Everyone has said all! You are so talented!
Annette

Patricia'sglass
09-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I absolutely LOVE it :clap: It is fantastic! It looks like Mother Earth made it! Thank you for showing it.
PAttym

Jillie Beads
09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Just call me a Hobbit! Very very very nice! :clap: Jill

!ngridh
09-22-2004, 07:57 PM

B

WOW how creative...very realistic and lovely design...I give it a 10 and even the russian judge gives it a 10!

jessicah
09-22-2004, 08:08 PM
That's the most gorgeous necklace I've ever seen :clap: :clap: It looks good enought to eat :D I would love to see that in B&B.

MistyCherie
09-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeoussss! Wow! That necklace is stunning, and I bet any woman who wears it will find someone nibbling on her neck quickly!

*giggle*

Definitely continue with this line of jewelry creation--it's wonderful!

=)

-M

ShineyObjects
09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Positively lovely necklace! Completely Enchanting!-------Mona

Suz01
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
WOW!!!

amazing work - both the beads and the necklace design.

Suzanne

snootyvixen
09-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Holy berries, Batman! That's absolutely incredible Barb!

Vikki

Mark Wilson
09-23-2004, 07:13 AM
i love your wild berrys!!!! when you have made more and are ready to part with some, i would love to get a set for my wife. i could either do the money thing or trade some of my glass for your glass, which ever you prefer.

CalmWaterStudio
09-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Barb, that necklace is absolutely glorious. I have never seen anything like it.. just true beauty.

Leevite
09-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I hope you are not getting tired of people saying the word GORGEOUS ... but that is what immediately comes to mind.

Actually, I am a hobbit, given my hairy feet and tendancy to look forward to second breakfasts and all meals actually. (I'm just mutantly tall.) Would I get the hobbit discount when they are for sale??

Schooner Girl
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM

Beautiful piece, absolutely.
Congratulation Barb.

Gisele

B

Tink
09-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Oh my. Most of you guys know I am NOT a jewelry person. Barb, this necklace is STUNNING, and I'm yearning to see more pictures of it. This is something that I would wear, and that's pretty amazing.

This needs to be on the COVER of Bead & Button. Seriously.

Soozarina
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
KLUNK!

I would sneak in and steal it, just to own it. And I do NOT believe in theft. I would, still, risk the dirty karma.....

PattyK
09-23-2004, 02:09 PM
That's just *incredibly* beautiful Jill. :)

mtnbeadz
09-23-2004, 08:02 PM
WOW! Definitely cover worthy for the bead mags.

You know you've made soemthing special when so many of the guys are admiring it, too.

Congratulations on such a stunning piece!

Daphne of Dilluvian
09-23-2004, 08:47 PM
That is just mind boggling in it's realism. Great Jewellry design! I'd probably have birds pecking at me if I wore that one.

Daphne

StefaniBeads
09-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Absolutely stunning!!

:clap: :cool: :clap: :cool: :clap: :cool: :clap:

Beth Myers
09-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Barb!
Words fail me, BEAUTIFUL!
My kind of work, I'd wear that in a second and I don't wear jewelry that often.
Your hard work, talent and imagination sing through out that piece.
Again, Beautiful!!!
Beth

Lara
09-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Barb. Just ditto to what everyone else has said. This necklace is STUNNING.

I LOVE IT.

Lara

:clap: :clap: :clap:

sharonL
09-24-2004, 10:53 PM
I had to get my 2 cents in here. THAT IS THE MOST WONDERFUL PIECE OF WEARABLE ART I've EVER seen. You have a wonderful imagination and I had get in on your fan club list. BRAVO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

AlaskaBarb
09-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Dear friends,

Your comments are so touching, really. I DID submit it to the mags -- thanks!

I'm working on two more fall necklaces, "Under the Duff," and "Winter Sleep."

Maybe I can post them by the first of the week.

Hugs,
B

Jinx.Garza
09-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Must...Have...That...Necklace!!

Gorgeous work, Barb. :D

Jinx

Tink
07-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I was thinking about AGI today: We just got a new tent and a cool stove, and we went to Cabela's for some other stuff. I was telling John wonderful stories from last year, and telling him how THRILLED I am that he'll be with me this time. I also told him that I was very excited about getting to finally meet some of the WC folks that I've been chatting with here since forever.

So Barbara came up, and I was trying to describe to him how beautiful her work is and how much I love it, even though I am not a jewelry person. To be honest, if I owned a piece of Barbara's work, I wouldn't know whether to wear it or frame it. SO LUSCIOUS!

With that in mind, I just had to find and resurrect this thread. Holy geez, but I love this necklace...

BriarePatchBeads
07-13-2005, 11:04 PM
YUM. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

- yet another Barb

mtbarr
07-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Being one of the 'cute' guy you'all let in here I almost never comment on the jewelery but I think I might wear the piece. I am some how drawn to it. Love it.
PJH

That is so funny. PJ, I think you should request a matching pair of earrings to go with this. Tee Hee... I have this image in my mind... :D

kybeadmaker
07-14-2005, 01:44 AM
I LOVE IT!!!!!....and I usually only wear very simple jewelry, but I would wear that all the time :)

jbriz
07-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Absolutely wonderful! I'm always excited to see more of your work. Always a delight! Can't wait to see the next pieces... Best of luck with your submissions. You know you have all of our votes!!

lwdstk66
07-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Stunning.

Cheng076
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Kay,
Do I have to get an outfit to go with the necklas and earrings???

You know, I have a print/pic of this necklas in my 'Glass Info Notebook'. One of a very few. I still smile and admire it (and the others in the series) often.

You've been doing some great stuff lately, also. I've been able to make only 3 mibs since Peg's. Lovin those implosion flowers.... dichro's next.

PJH

DreamMuse
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow!! This necklace is unbelievable!! What great work! Bravo!

em-mee
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
what a lovely necklace! definitely looks good enough to eat.

politelez
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
well I am a fairy and I love your work. It brings back simple beauty and where every thing that we use to make our art starts from.

lilglassshack
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Barbara, thats pretty!!!!

emoon
07-18-2005, 01:17 PM

B

There is definately elven in my family heritage and I am really sure that is just my size!! Outstanding! Just one thing...what flavor potato chips were involved? Hmmmmm?????

mperaza
07-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Barb,

I've been on the road for almost 3 months now and I don't get much time on WC these days. So.... when I saw that you had started this post, I just had to peek in since I have yet to see a piece you made that I didn't just love. This one is no exception! It is simply beautiful! Great work.

Marilyn