PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Daughters Homecomming Jewelry!

dawnann
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi all, Homecomming is this saturday. My daughter Nicoles dress is a floor lenth formal. It is a classic black and white strapless dress. Just a band of white across the chest. Well I thought she wanted to wear pearls with it, but on Sunday she asked if I could make up a set to wear ;) The pendant is going on a slide which I still have to find(let me know if you have a better Idea. I have to wait till she comes home to make sure the braclet is going to fit before I crimp it. Its a crazy week around here with all the themes going on at school :D Everyone have a great day, Dawn

Bazile
09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
That is a very beautiful set, I love it. Has your daughter the type of neck that could take a velvet choker to hang the dangle from. In either black or white velvet ribbon? Just an idea. Be sure to post pictures of her all dressed for us to see. It is our homecoming week too, but my kids are not that age yet. Just the dress up at the Jr High. :D

dawnann
09-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi, That is a great Idea about the velvet, but how would I attach the pendant? That is the latest rage in High School to have a ribbon around your neck. Thanks, Dawn

Bazile
09-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't really know, but thinking about it I guess I would be inclined to sew a jump ring or split ring to the center of the velvet. on the back side. I have never made anything like that because I don't have the neck for it, only in my dreams.......Little hook and eye tape or a nice wire wrapped clasp at the back....with another dangle...maybe? no, might be too much...keep it simple......

Bubbyanne
09-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Dawn,
I have to say that it's great that your daughter appreciates your art and asked you to make something for such an event in her life.

Anything and everything I've ever made my daughter was either abused, neglected or "lost". She "let" me make her a bracelet for her wedding. She picked out the beads and the design. I got to string them and pay for them. Oh well, I love her anyway.

Here are a couple links with choker ideas.
Chokers (http://members.tripod.com/beadcreation/lace_chokers.htm)

Goth chokers-pretty (http://raveneve.com/Chokers3.html)

A tutorial with a choker (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accessories_jewelry/article/0,1789,HGTV_3225_2355219,00.html)

Another tutorial (http://jewelrymaking.about.com/library/n_020803.htm)

I've also attached a few pictures for ideas of different styles. I was looking for a specific tutorial I saw a while back but couldn't find it. If I see it I'll post it for you. I hope you've gotten some ideas. I'd like to see some pictures too.

Good luck,
Barb

dawnann
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the links! I have a better Idea of how to do it. I was just going to sew a jump ring in the front and then tie it in the back....finished jewelry is not really my thing....Thank you everyone! Dawn

dawnann
09-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Little hook and eye tape or a nice wire wrapped clasp at the back....with another dangle...maybe? no, might be too much...keep it simple......

I think this is what I'm am going to do....I'm not a sewer at all....More of a Hot Glue gun and duck tape Girl,lol...I think she will love it! Thanks, Dawn

prncsk
09-21-2004, 01:51 PM
You can buy some fold over clasps at Michael's or Hobby lobby. Attach at the ends of the velvet, add a split ring and then your clasp. With the fold over you just place the velvet inside and fold over each side. It should have a loop at the end to attach the split ring. Good luck and post pictures! You could also do the pendant illusion style on some fishing line......just a thought.

Karen

dawnann
09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
You can buy some fold over clasps at Michael's or Hobby lobby. Attach at the ends of the velvet, add a split ring and then your clasp. With the fold over you just place the velvet inside and fold over each side. It should have a loop at the end to attach the split ring. Good luck and post pictures! You could also do the pendant illusion style on some fishing line......just a thought.

Karen

Thanks for the information! I will go to Michael's tomorrow, Dawn

JannDee
09-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Odd... I just made a whole load of pendants on ribbon the past few days, guess it must be something in the air!

I liked grosgrain ribbon, if you'd want to try something other then velvet.

You're beads look lovely...I hope they become something of an heirloom!

Jann

dawnann
09-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Jann, Thanks for the information! Dawn

beaderpaine
09-21-2004, 05:34 PM
OOOOOooooeeeeee! That's a lovely set! I want one for myself, and I don't have any dance to go to!!!

How nice that your daughter appreciates your work! My one and only dear daughter is 19 going on 25 and she snitches just about every bracelet I make! (No wonder I can't make any money with this stuff!) But, the fact that she likes the things I make is wonderful! She comes up with some terrific design ideas, too!

CorvetteJuliet
09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Oh that's so fabulous and what a wonderful remembrance of the event too! I love the choker idea! :) ~Juliet