PDA

View Full Version : Gone for a Row

Carlanna
09-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi all
just finished this painting, Atelier acrylics on gallery stretched canvas 50x70cm (about 20x28 inches).
I would appreciate any comments as it's a bit of an experiment.
Thank you for looking
Carla

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2004/26069-Gone-for-a-Row.jpg

Marty C
09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi Carla,
Well if you are trying to make me look at this for a long time to try to figure out what I'm seeing then you have succeeded! :D
It looks like two people rowing up an enormous wave, but then the upper left throws me completely and I still don't understand it.
This is going to tease me for some time!

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 08:23 AM
definately an interesting angle>

Carlanna
09-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi Marty
thanks for the reply.

Hint: bird's eye view!?

This started off as an abstract but evolved into something neither that not totally realistic. I wanted to play with colours but as they suggested the sea, ended up adding a boat . . .
. . . top left corner propably vegetation beyond the sand dunes . . .

When hubby said "What is it?" I knew I was in trouble, better luck next time I guess!

Thank you candienjames!

Carla

Mybubblewall
09-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I think the piece works quite well. The bird's eye view is a fresh perspective not used to often and pleasantly uneasy... exciting!

However... even though you have stated it started as an abstract, with the addition of a boat, you have brought it back into the real realm and the viewer attempts to understand it as such. So... I'm left wondering what the large black strip across the top of the canvas is. Not bushes or shrubs, not a huge rock, not the horizon with sandy hills... Looks like the world has dropped off out of existence.

Also that slight splotch of green in the upper left corner is akward by itself.

I apologize for the crit. if you didn't want one. Get carried away sometimes when I see a piece I really like.

Crystal

Bioartist
09-21-2004, 12:10 PM
When hubby said "What is it?" I knew I was in trouble, better luck next time I guess! Carla

Yeah but you NEVER listen to the spouse - that only leads to trouble :evil: :wink2: .

Actually I thinnk it looks great, defintely has that open queensland beach feel.
Stacey
PS. the weather still fantastic up there????

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi Carla - I like the colour of the big wave and it's certainly overpowering the tiny rowers - so I get the message of the all-powerful majesty of the ocean!
Sorry, cannot fathom (no pun intended!) the upper left yellowish area - are they sand dunes perhaps?
The strong diagonal of the wave concerns me as it travels, uncut, across the canvas and cuts the composition in two. I feel you need somehow to connect the wave and the 'dunes' area, and break that line.
Just MHO, but you did ask!!!!!!! :D

Bertoni
09-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Carla:
I think this is quite successful. The only thing I would have done is crop off the top 3" leaving just a bit of the land showing. That zeroes in on the boat more! But that's me! I like it a lot!!!!!!! Love those waves:clap: :clap: :clap: :)

sassybird
09-21-2004, 06:11 PM
A birds eye perspective is always interesting. I do believe that you need to pull that vegetation down from the left corner into the sand dunes are get rid of it completly. There is not enough there to add to the painting.

Carlanna
09-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi guys, and thank you all for your most appreciated crits.
Although I like the colours, the darks and lights and the feeling of vastness and movement, I do agree with you Crystal, the dark blue area at the top of the picture is a bit of a problem. I guess could be the dunes in shadow. When I started it it was only a nice contrast to the warmer "dune" colours. . . yep, Charlie's Mum, now that it's no longer an abstract they've turned into dunes!
My problem now is how to make it more believable without taking away from the contrast factor (which I really like) and that pleasantly uneasy feeling that also appeals to me. So sassybird, that silly bit of vegetation in the corner is such an attempt, not too successful either!
As Bertoni suggests, cropping could be an answer but can't really crop gallery wrapped canvas too easily . . . any other suggestions?

ps: Stacey, for the first time in months, today it's overcast but still warm. Were you here recently?

Carla

Charlie's Mum
09-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Just a suggestion Carla........how about trying (on scrap first) making that top vegetation much bigger, as in tracery of branches or other suitable see-through stuff, and using it as a foreground with detailed painting. This would give something much closer to the viewer and set up some cross movements to break that line without detroying anything. It could also enhance that bird's eye view..........just a thought! :)