PDA

View Full Version : WIP: "By Any Other Name" Rose # 7?

champagneharley
09-20-2004, 11:39 PM
I think this is my 7th rose.
Just 8x10" on cotton duck. I need it for my exhibition next month, and figure I have time to do this and perhaps a watercolor.
Again, I'm not sure what I'm doing, and just hope it all works out ok - so we shall see as this progresses.
Just daubed on some light emerald green in areas I want some highlights. Then will try building on this.
I have a great gold frame for this to go in.
Again hating acryics 'in progress' !!!!
Regards,
Jillian

shirleyq
09-21-2004, 12:45 AM
My chair is pulled up to watch :)

mooz49
09-21-2004, 02:44 AM
I've got my chair beside shirleyq!! :wave:

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 06:50 AM
My chair is pulled up to watch :)
I stayed up until 1am, it's now 6.30am and I'm up, going to work. Why oh why do I start these things SO late!
It's at SUCH an ugly, ugly, ugly stage - no wonder it's easy to give up on.
Basically blocking in colours.
Added some Emerald and Hookers green, raw sienna. I think that's what they were.
At this stage it's so darn ugly! Yuk.
Hard to imagine that one can pull it out from here (even I have doubts) !
Thanx Shirley.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
I've got my chair beside shirleyq!! :wave:

:wave: :wave:
More tonight - see you then!
:)
Regards,
Jillian

Lady Carol
09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Settling in with some coffee :clap: :clap:

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Settling in with some coffee :clap: :clap:
Hi Carol, glad to have you along for the ride! :)
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, now that I've blocked in some color - mainly to use up the fresh paint on my palette so it won't dry overnight - I have gone back to my usual habit's of working from the top down in full and almost final detail. In this case I've started in the top left corner, and working down through the rose. Often I do the background first, but in this case not. Raw Sienna is mixed in with the greenery, and also with the flesh pink of the rose. I'm intending to make this more 'golden' but will worry about that later. Mainly trying to blend to get the 'shapes' right, so that you can sense the subtle silken soft curves of the rose petals.
So, with this photo, you should be able to cover most of the painting, and the top left should 'work'. Close up to follow...
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Here's the closeup.
Top left.
I consider the leaves 'done' for the most part. The rose still will do with more blending, but will work on that at another stage as I want to introduce some yellow and green blends.
The rose is flesh pink with raw sienna, and white mainly.
Regards,
Jillian

Georgi
09-21-2004, 09:32 PM
I've just snuck in quietly with my chair, some chocolates (enough to share around), coffee and Kahlua (ditto!)...plus a notebook to jot down notes.....I've a lot to learn so you'll have to have patience with me! :wink2:

Lee :)

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 09:40 PM
I've just snuck in quietly with my chair, some chocolates (enough to share around), coffee and Kahlua (ditto!)...plus a notebook to jot down notes.....I've a lot to learn so you'll have to have patience with me! :wink2:

Lee :)
Ah! You speak MY language! Yummo!
I have never learnt to paint, so, in 'learning' you are only seeing the way I paint - a teacher may teach differently - so I have all the patience in the world - just don't ask why I do something - I don't know - instinct I think. :)
Glad to have you along for the ride.
I hope this will look as good in it's frame as I think it will. This is the first time I have ever planned a painting around a FRAME!
(Yeah! I know - crazy! But it's OK, because I'm an artist! :D )
HEE HEE HEE
Regards,
Jillian

Lady Carol
09-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Toss a bit of Kahlua in mine too. Actually hang on a sec while I go and get a fresh cup

champagneharley
09-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Toss a bit of Kahlua in mine too. Actually hang on a sec while I go and get a fresh cup
Well maybe this is a good stage to inform you this is a SINGLE rose. If you get to seeing more than ONE, you might need to back off that Kahlua. :)
(Unless this looks better with multi-blossoms.)
*LOL*
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-22-2004, 12:16 AM
This is it for tonight. Not much progress. And at a stage it looks SO bad!
Oh well...
Nite all.
Regards,
Jillian

Bioartist
09-22-2004, 12:59 AM
awwwww...I was just getting settled in....and then you go to bed...drat :D
See ya later then (this time I'll be early :D :wave: )
Stacey

Eileenjm
09-22-2004, 03:08 AM
Jillian this is looking lovely, can't wait to see the finished piece. :)

Eileen

champagneharley
09-22-2004, 06:43 AM
awwwww...I was just getting settled in....and then you go to bed...drat :D
See ya later then (this time I'll be early :D :wave: )
Stacey
I NEED my beauty sleep! :D
See you soon!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Jillian this is looking lovely, can't wait to see the finished piece. :)

Eileen
Thanx Eileen. This sure is an ugly stage, so hope it gets to looking better soon. That's what I hate about acrylics. Too many ugly stages before it gets done - it's easy to get discouraged.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Still at an 'ugly stage'.
Working on it some more.
Some Cad Yellow, and also introduced some Brilliant Purple.
Much 'refining' to do.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Next step.
Worked on the purples on the bottom, they were fun, but also need some more work later.
Mainly worked on the two top buds and the leaf between, and about to start working down the buds. I've left the main rose for the time being, as the buds will probably determine how I treat the flower.
Regards,
Jillian

Lulu
09-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Really interested in this wip. Thanks for sharing Gillian, and also for sharing the palette.
I'll be quietly watching progress too:)

champagneharley
09-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Really interested in this wip. Thanks for sharing Gillian, and also for sharing the palette.
I'll be quietly watching progress too:)
Glad you're enjoying it Lulu :)
I always have my reservations as they look SO ugly in progress. I work so hard at acrylics, often going over one part for hours, before getting the effect I want - whereas with oils, pastels, gouache, watercolors, etc. I get exactly what I want with far less effort.
Stay tuned! :)
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Sorry ... disaster struck!

My hard drive died last Sunday.
The good news is I found a BRILLIANT guy in Altanta who RECOVERED all my files - a miracle!
However I have to reload and setup all my programs, sort out files, etc.
It's all taking time.
I have worked on this the last two nights at least a little, and need it finished by Saturday afternoon so can transport it to my solo exhibition in Thomaston, Georgia (month of October).
I have taken some more photos, but until I reload my camera program and graphics program(s) I won't be able to upload to here.
Will as soon as I'm able.
Regards,
Jillian

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2004, 06:16 PM
OMG - the dreaded Death of the Hard-drive......been there and it's hell!

Hope all is sorted now and looking forward to seeing the final image! :D

champagneharley
10-01-2004, 06:22 PM
OMG - the dreaded Death of the Hard-drive......been there and it's hell!

Hope all is sorted now and looking forward to seeing the final image! :DVery, very fortunate to find a hard drive restorer who didn't charge the earth. First time I've even had files retrieved from a dead drive.
Will be slow to reconstruct, but at least I've got 'em.
Hope to post asap.
Thanx.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-01-2004, 08:51 PM
OK...
Worked mainly across the top, now working down, particularly the rosebuds and foliage.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-01-2004, 09:04 PM
This is where I am at the moment.
Slow progression, but with each new leaf, etc. Need to assess how it fits in with what is already done.
bottom rosebud still to be done. Working down the foliage.
Regards,
Jillian

tbezesky
10-01-2004, 10:12 PM
This is really coming alive.
Great work!

champagneharley
10-01-2004, 10:25 PM
This is really coming alive.
Great work!
Thank you!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Been busy. Computer crash. A cold. Busy at work. ....etc.
*sigh*

I've done a bit more, and currently working on this.
Still the rose itself to do, and lower right foliage.
Regards,
Jillian

damar
10-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi ChampagneH! Long time! I think this is going to turn out real nice. I have seen some of your W'sIP and you always manage to finish a winner!
Hope you're feeling better! :)
Regards,
damar

champagneharley
10-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi ChampagneH! Long time! I think this is going to turn out real nice. I have seen some of your W'sIP and you always manage to finish a winner!
Hope you're feeling better! :)
Regards,
damar
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm hoping this is a winner. As you say ... slowly coming together.
These that can rush things - not me!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-22-2004, 10:18 PM
I really had hoped this would be finished by now.
Trying to get it finished tonight.
All done, bar the actual rose!
Have had some major family health issues as well as a bit of a cold, myself.
*sigh*
Sorry for the light glare top right.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-23-2004, 10:33 AM
FINISHED !!!

The main rose let me down. But it wasn't the best of roses, anyway. This photo picks up too many 'mistakes' not so obvious in real life.
But for all intent and purposes I am calling it 'finished'. :)

Hope you like it.
I was going to call it 'By any other name' but don't like that. Any suggestions?
Thanks for sharing this process with me.
Regards,
Jillian

TxAggieDarlin
10-23-2004, 06:16 PM
This is wonderful........I have chocolate cookies, if you will stay and paint some more!! heheheh...I appreciate you sharing the stages....I am so new and have only done two....I was ready to pitch them both out as they were so ugly, but I have one now hung up in my bedroom and the other is almost complete......IF I LEAVE the darn clouds ALONE...

It is nice of you to share the stages...I learn so much from all of you. Thanks.

Sharrm
10-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Jillian,
Wonderful WIP. Thankyou for sharing with us. It is certainly a Winner. You were asking for suggestions, for a name, here's a couple: For My Lady, or Dawns' Blush, came to mind.

Cheers,
Sharron

champagneharley
10-23-2004, 09:00 PM
This is wonderful........I have chocolate cookies, if you will stay and paint some more!! heheheh...I appreciate you sharing the stages....I am so new and have only done two....I was ready to pitch them both out as they were so ugly, but I have one now hung up in my bedroom and the other is almost complete......IF I LEAVE the darn clouds ALONE...

It is nice of you to share the stages...I learn so much from all of you. Thanks.
I'll come back and play another day> :)
I hate my acrylics in progress. I guess my efforts endorse never giving up. :)
By the way. They are some of the last roses of summer, so I called them 'Late Bloomers' :)
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
10-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Jillian,
Wonderful WIP. Thankyou for sharing with us. It is certainly a Winner. You were asking for suggestions, for a name, here's a couple: For My Lady, or Dawns' Blush, came to mind.

Cheers,
Sharron
Glad you enjoyed seeing it.
I entered it in a juried show today. It ALMOST made it in. It was awarded a 'question mark' but on going back to it, it didn't make it. I am pleased that it got that close tho. As the judge was not at all keen on florals at all, and preferred 'different' works - ones where they were totally different to anything 'usual', so I thought that was good that she even considered it.
I had to name it. The buds are so much part of it. Blooms - Bloomers, and as the last roses of summer it became 'Late Bloomers' :) Thank you for your suggestion. I'll keep them in mind, as I will be doing more. :)
Appreciate it.
Regards,
Jillian