PDA

View Full Version : Autum at pine Lake

Tom Christopher
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Hello Artists--I spent the afternoon taking photos of the leaves starting to turn at a lake near my home. I spotted this scene as I was getting ready to return home. This is on Wallis about 18 x 26 inches--All comments welcome --Thank You Tom

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2004, 10:09 PM
How do you work so quickly, and capture such delicate detail? Such a soothing looking place to be. I think the area you live in is absolutely beautiful, and you truely do it justice!

CarlyHardy
09-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Tom,
the way you capture the leaves on the trees without appearing to use a lot of detail is so perfect. I'm beginning to see red berries on the dogwoods and some change of color in our maples....makes me want to get out and paint too!
carly

Mikki Petersen
09-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Tom, this is as stunning as I've come to expect in your work. The colors are so subtle and yet there is wonderful depth. Guess that's the result of painting on location...

We saw glorious fall colors at the 8-10 thousand foot levels in the Colorado Rockies. John (hubby) had never seen the full spectrum of colors before and this was a lovely pallette of yellows, oranges and reds against the deep green of pines. Reminded me of New England. Lovely. Here in the Sierras, we get yellows with small tints of orange as the aspens turn but that's it. so this was a real treat.

Kathryn Wilson
09-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Tom, this is lovely! You really do achieve good depth of color - fall is coming!

Speaking of local color palettes - here in North Carolina, I would have to use a pine green, a russet brown, and a deep plum with only touches of yellow for the tulip poplars. No brilliant reds and yellows - how I miss maple leaf colors!

khourianya
09-21-2004, 08:33 AM
What a gorgeous piece! fall is definitely my favourite season!

I went out the other day and took some pictures of our fall colour along the river. Here in Calgary they don't last very long before they all fall to the ground, but I'm glad i had the chance to capture them!

Nodosaurus
09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Wow. I've been working on masses of greenery lately, now I have a model. :)
I really like this work. Buddy. can you spare a vine?

meowmeow
09-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Gorgeous. THis is inspiring to me....we are getting the foliage and I am trying to get it...you have accomplished it. I'lll have to study this. Thanks!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
09-21-2004, 05:13 PM
what a beautiful array of colours..... this is lovely Tom, as always.... love the reflections too, the only thought was that as we view them on the left, they seem to end abruptly in a vertical line - leaving a little white square on the bottom ...... wish I could something a fraction as good

Dyin
09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Tom...your water is the absolute perfect color. We are just seeing a tiny touch of gold in some trees but can see red patches way up the mountains. It's beautiful and hope to see more fall scenes soon.

Artistammy
09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
This is beautiful. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a close-up of some your strokes in the trees. I'm really trying to learn more about painting foliage.

ociopia
09-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I adore the way you allow yourself such freedom of color. This place has a quality of "everyday" yet also has a "magic" quality. This might be one definition of art.

Tom Christopher
09-21-2004, 09:50 PM
This is beautiful. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a close-up of some your strokes in the trees. I'm really trying to learn more about painting foliage.
Tammy
I would be glad to do WIP of fall foliage for my next painting--this one is already framed under glass so I won't be able to get a decent close up. I will most likely start another painting the end of this week.
Thank you for commenting Tom

Lisa Olivarez
09-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Amazing Tom! :clap:

Paula Ford
09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Well Tom, you know how I feel about fall scenes...this is WONDERFUL!!

Paula

pjo
09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Tom, wonderful, soothing, painting. I love the water, and the foliage is wonderful. And such a big size too, I bet its even more beautiful IRL. Congrats on this one.

EdK
09-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Tom - this one of my favorites. You make it look easy.

prestonsega
09-23-2004, 01:22 AM
I love how you just casually snapped a photo "on the way home" and turned it into a beautiful pastel landscape :) . The reflections are most impressive!