PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Face Sculpture (yuck)

Fire Psycho
09-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi,

You nice people provided me with such positive reinforcement on my 1st ever post on Wet Canvas, showing my few creations in my battle with this new medium, I finally decided to turn on this HOT HEAD torch again and try to do another sculpture (do you think they call it a “hot head” because of how much it can p*** you off?..lol).

AlaskaBarb really hit the nail on the head for me from my last post, speaking about “No 'tactility” and “trying to sculpt wearing boxing gloves” …man…is that the truth, I feel more like a surgeon then letting the passion flow through my finger tips.

I’m sorry, but I ran out of the flesh colored glass rods, I had to think for a minute of what I should do based on the colors I have left. So I created this disaster I’ll call
Hot Head.

Man, he was coming out so good, then when I tried to give him nostril holes the pick I was using stuck in, and wouldn’t come out and I wound up destroying his mouth in the process of yanking it out. I fixed it up best I could with this tool my gorgeous woman got me for my B-Day from Wimzicalities.

Please look at this poor picture (the thing just wouldn’t photograph) and criticize it for me please, I really need your help and opinions.I’m sincerely working hard to get better at this.

I’ll try to do better tonight with some Halloween monsters. I hope one day to produce glass with the talent you guys possess.

With much appreciation,

KellyD
09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
G,

I think the guy is pretty cool looking!
I understand how you feel with the boxing glove thing, when I first started working with glass I had a background in clay...It was so hard not to use my fingers! You will get to a point where your tools will feel like an extension of your fingers. Keep up the good work, you are doing great!
Kelly

CD Lampwork
09-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Keep at it. It usually takes me between 12 and 50 beads to get a design the way I want it. I too have been working on faces. One thing that helped me was to think how God makes 'em in the first place. I start with a shape somewhat like a scull and work my way out.

Norma623
09-21-2004, 07:05 AM
I think you're well on your way! Looks like you have the proportions right, just a little more refinement needed to make a good monster!

Mike E etc
09-21-2004, 07:12 AM
use some wax on your pick to help keep it from sticking.

Mike E

J. Cross
09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't see a destroyed bead. I see one with a lot of attitude. I know my grand-daughter has given me that very look as a response to "No you can't."
Keep working at it.
Joan

Juls
09-22-2004, 03:31 AM
I don't see a destroyed bead at all!

In fact, it sincerely resembles a good friend of mine...not the most handsome guy in the world (sorry John :evil: ), but wonderful and full of character nonetheless!

Stick with it...there is loads of potential there that will lead you down an interesting path!

and Mike..thanks for the lightbulb flashing over my head..I never thought of using wax!!

hugs~
~Juls

Fire Psycho
09-23-2004, 12:06 AM
I appreciate the input, and thx Mike for the wax advice.