PDA

View Full Version : Just Ponderin' x post from open critiques

shirleyq
09-20-2004, 06:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/11444-Just_Ponderin.jpg

This is on a 16 x 20 stretched canvas. Just finished and looking for crits.
Sorry, that it is out of focus. It was either that or a glare on one side. :(

metalhead
09-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Looks great to me. The only thing I might work on if it were me is that the boy's jeans look a little too bright blue and though jeans come in a variety of shades of blue, that doesn't seem to be one I quite recognize as "jeans colored." :) And the contrast between the darker parts and lighter parts of the jeans seems too great, and the wrinkle along the boy's thigh doesn't seem quite right, as that part is usually where jeans are kind of tight, but maybe you have a reference photo that says different. And of course a lot of time digital shots distort the colors a bit, so that may be part of the problem. The rest of it looks great, the boy's face, and the hats, the belt buckle, the bars... all those look great to me. I feel sort of ridiculous even saying anything, as this is quite a lot better than I could manage to do.

shirleyq
09-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Steven - sorry I just CAN'T call you Metalhead.............It's great to have someone from Texas be the first to post... :) and I appreciate your comments. His jeans really did fit him that way and they were lighter. I may go in and adjust the highlights on the jeans....thanks for noticing that part. As for the color of jeans.......it is hard to match so I just went this direction....doesn't mean I will always do that, but for now .....

I feel sort of ridiculous even saying anything, as this is quite a lot better than I could manage to do.

You made some valid points....always feel free to crit my work. :) :)

mooz49
09-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Your title so fits the expression on his face. I love how you are able to do that. It is a terrifice painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
09-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi Shirley,
This is a fine piece, wonderful expression on his face and a great pose.
I think the problem with his jeans is the very light value of the highlights, probably too much of a contrast, the net effect raising the value of the jeans overall. Otherwise, it's great!

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 08:16 AM
the jeans are definatelu the weakest link, everything else looks very polished! :D

shirleyq
09-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Anne, Marty and James - Thank you all. I used more color in the face than I ever have before and it really 'livened' it up. I will make a few adjustments on the jeans....but not today as we are traveling and I am taking it on the plane with me. After the adjustments it is off to have a high res. digital image made.
I appreciate all of your comments :)