PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

ociopia
09-20-2004, 05:31 PM
I would love some help on this piece.

I am attaching the photo I'm using and my pastel. As you can see, the photo sort of dies over on the far right and I've had to make up the rest of the horse. Ha ha. Tried would be a better word.

Any suggestions for this piece? I am so surprised at how hard it is, even outdoors, to get a real replica of the color on the pastel.

Thanks,

bnoonan
09-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Oh this is going to be beautiful and you are so very close.

Just a few thoughts…. Blend your edges a bit better – ex: see where the hair over the face comes down – in your painting it looks blocked off like it ends abruptly – unlike the photo.

Also the bright in the cheek – it’s gorgeous but just a tad softer on the edges with the darks. Wow – so close.

As for the shady side of the mane – I think it needs to be a bit darker and that will help his neck curve around better. You may need to add another pound or two onto the neck as well – just a bit.

Well done and oh I do look forward to more of your posts!!!

Barb

Squinting is key!

K Taylor-Green
09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Barb is right. Blend some of the dark on his neck up into the highlight at the top of his neck, so it is not so bright. Darken the rest of the right side of the mane, vary the length of the forlock, and you will have equine perfection!
What a picture!!

khourianya
09-20-2004, 07:29 PM
This is going to be a stunner...when I first saw the thumbnails, I had to do a double take to figure out which was which. It's a gorgeous piece and I do hope you'll post how it turns out!

ociopia
09-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Thank you guys so much for being so responsive and encouraging. I have to say I do just adore this horse so much. I very much want to get him right.

I've had numerous suggestions from the pastel list as well as the animal and wildlife list and made some changes.

I've: lengthened the body, deepened the jaw between the muzzle and the cheek, changed some shadowing on the neck, feathered the forelock, made the area below the forelock more roman (but I might have misunderstood this - maybe I was to make the top of the nose leather more roman.) I've also tried to "fatten" the cheek as suggested, but I don't think I truly understand that suggestion.

I still have more changes to make, I'm sure. I've stopped and taken a photo so you could look at it at this stage and make more suggestions.

Many, many thanks.

Mikki Petersen
09-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Great use of some good advice. The painting is quite lovely.

ociopia
09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Here is the original photo and the latest corrections. Thanks for the many suggestions.

I've faced that the body was not long enough and corrected that (hopefully) though I'm not as fond of the composition now. But it is more "correct" to the eye.

I am wondering about the area under the forelock. Is it too roman?

Thanks.