PDA

View Full Version : textures in acrylics

chaosartworks
09-20-2004, 05:12 PM
hello folks!

im new here, come from the uk and im looking for some inspiration for textured effects with acrylics

there are a couple of examples of texture effects i've use in the past on my website. (see multiforus or caged)

http://www.chaosartworks.com

im currently working on a contemporary sheep (dont ask) and would welcome any texture ideas for its wool

thanks in advance.

steve :wave:

LarrySeiler
09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
welcome Steve...

I have used extensively "gelex" (which was the original name before Liquitex changed it to "Extender Gel Medium")...mixed about half and half with pigment and color where I specifically wanted acrylic to act more impasto'ish in the nature of oil paints.

In fact....I have again and again fooled galleries and the public to believe acrylics I've done on canvas...where gelex is included, appear to be oils.

I didn't set out to produce acrylics so that others would think them oils, but texture is a design component (as you no doubt well know) that helps create a visual voice with purpose. In my case...adds to convincing form and near versus far.

peace

Larry

gnu
09-21-2004, 02:01 AM
I use Atelier impasto gel for texture and becuase I use a knife.
I also have some modelling paste which I'll use at some point to create a textured canvas to start on. I've seen this done to add interest to some semi abstract flowers with good effect..
I'd love to see some abstract work done with this technique