PDA

View Full Version : Commissioned Patton Montage

Deano
09-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Everybody.
A friend of mine who is a devoted Gen. Patton fan (he's personally met with Patton's son and the son's wife) wanted me to do yet another Patton painting...this is the third. It's a 16"x20" in acrylic on primed stretched canvas. The other elements in the montage: Willie...his bull terrier, one of his pearl handled Colt pistols, and the Sherman tanks he pushed to speed across the battle fronts.
C & C welcome and appreciated...although it's too late to change anything...it's been paid for and picked up.
Thanks for looking and commenting, Deano.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/34493-DSCN0632.JPG
Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/34493-DSCN0633.JPG
Colt Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/34493-DSCN0634.JPG

Bertoni
09-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Deano: Nice work there!!!

piper2
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I like the pop art style, but I would say that the vastness of the lower left corner is a little weak. As you said though, too late to change now!

Deano
09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Bertoni: Thanks...and it's nice to see you again.

Piper: Thank you for your comments...much appreciated.

Best wishes, Deano

metalhead
09-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Impressive, as always, Deano. The composition strikes me a little odd... the pistol and the dog seem to float in space. I'm reminded a bit of those little gold coins that hover, spinning in space in that Super Mario Brothers videogame. I can see the pistol and the dog kind of spinning there... Probably you should just ignore me... :)

katju
09-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi Deano,

A very nice grouping of memorabilia. It's a little different style than you use on WDEs. (I like them both.) You show yourself to be very versatile in subject matter. ;)

Kathy

Deano
09-20-2004, 05:12 PM
The composition strikes me a little odd... the pistol and the dog seem to float in space. Lol...That's what's fun for me in a montage. It's not based upon reality...the images are superimposed...could be transparent etc.

All the best, Deano

lorna12
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
As Kathy said, different from what we usually see from but exactly what I would expect....flawless painterly work. Very well done, Deano! :clap: :clap: :clap:

sassybird
09-20-2004, 06:19 PM
I always enjoy looking at montages, and this one is very well done. I agree that the space down in the left corner that piper spoke of is empty. Maybe the gun would have been better placed there.

Deano
09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
A very nice grouping of memorabilia. It's a little different style than you use on WDEs. (I like them both.) You show yourself to be very versatile in subject matter. Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping in and commenting. The work here represents around 20 hrs worth of time, while the WDE is 2 to maybe 4 hrs total. I truly enjoy the fresher alla prima of WDE the most...(probably just older and more impatient...Lol.. :D .

Deano
09-20-2004, 08:02 PM
As Kathy said, different from what we usually see from but exactly what I would expect....flawless painterly work. Very well done, Deano! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you, Lorna, my friend. You are way too kind.

Deano

Deano
09-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Charissa. Thanks for the kind words on my painting.
I agree that the space down in the left corner that piper spoke of is empty. Maybe the gun would have been better placed there. Too late to do anything now :rolleyes: . But will definitely keep it in mind with future works. Thanks for commenting.

Deano

mooz49
09-21-2004, 02:54 AM
WOW! what a lot of detail ......... you have a great talent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 08:05 AM
First, you have excellent technique, but I gotta say I think your composition is kinda weak. In photography they drill composition down your throat but in graphics I believe it is even more important because you are in a controlled environment, and people expect more.
Along whith the other comments I would just like to add that It might tie it together if you would have put a map or something in the background, or perhaps made the scene of the tanks more opaque in the lower half of the painting.... no hard feelings I hope... :wave:

Deano
09-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Along whith the other comments I would just like to add that It might tie it together if you would have put a map or something in the background, or perhaps made the scene of the tanks more opaque in the lower half of the painting.... no hard feelings I hope... No hard feelings at all, James. I really appreciate your honest critique. To be truthful, I never did so much as a single sketch to plan this composition due to a time crunch and other pressing projects. Normally I'm much more thorough in planning my mistakes...Lol. :D :D :D

WOW! what a lot of detail ......... you have a great talent! Thank you, Mooz, for those very kind words. :) :)

paloma
09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Very nice Deano - as a point of interest how long did this take to finish?
I know your work from WDE s & you seem to produce some good results in the 2 hrs given. Cheers Alexandra :)

theIsland
09-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Beautiful, Deano! It's a treat to see more of your twenty hour work, after seeing what you can do in two. I really love your combination of transparent and opaque paint, and line. It's a lesson in the versatility of acrylics. The shadow on his face is excellent, with a good sense of sunlight and detail visible in both the light and shadow. Making the blue of the flag a sky blue with floating stars is a little touch of genious! I'd imagine the new owner is VERY pleased with his painting. :)

Noma

Deano
09-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Beautiful, Deano! It's a treat to see more of your twenty hour work, after seeing what you can do in two. I really love your combination of transparent and opaque paint, and line. It's a lesson in the versatility of acrylics. The shadow on his face is excellent, with a good sense of sunlight and detail visible in both the light and shadow. Making the blue of the flag a sky blue with floating stars is a little touch of genious! I'd imagine the new owner is VERY pleased with his painting. :)

Noma
Thanks very much, Noma, for those exceedingly kind words. As you know, I am a great admirer of your work,so I really appreciate your comments.
Yes...the owner is very happy...thank God. :) :) :)

Very nice Deano - as a point of interest how long did this take to finish? Hi Alexandra...it took approx. 20 hours.
Best wishes, Deano

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2004, 12:03 PM
HI Deano - fancy meeting you here!!!! :)
I know others have commented on the composition, but montages are often difficult to compose because of their grouping of disparate images....their only connection being with the central character in this case - and they are connected to him through time rather than in the same time and place.....does that make sense? :confused: :)
Individual items are, as usual, beautifully painted with special attention given to the different textures and character of the object/subject.
It was, also, a commissioned work and if the 'piper' is happy to pay then you play to his tune!
You're obviously doing something right when you've had a number of these to do!!!!! Keep going I say! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2004/30494-Van_Gogh_self_port,_original.JPG

......and this is for you! I was going to post it in AMAE.....it's a photo of the original in the Musee d'Orsay, Paris, where we were last week.....couldn't resist taking this for you!!!!!! :D

Deano
09-21-2004, 12:20 PM
:wave: Hi Maureen! Thanks a lot for stopping in and checking out "Ol' Blood and Guts".and they are connected to him through time rather than in the same time and place.....does that make sense? It makes perfect sense to me. Still, there's the question of placement of the individual elements on the canvas...there's where some thumbnails come in mighty handy.You're obviously doing something right when you've had a number of these to do!!!!! Keep going I say! Thank you, lady. :) :) ......and this is for you! I was going to post it in AMAE.....it's a photo of the original in the Musee d'Orsay, Paris, where we were last week.....couldn't resist taking this for you!!!!!! OMG!!! THANK YOU!! It's so sweet to be remembered! :D :D :D

dabblerdot
09-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Deano, you appear as comfortable with the contours of this man's face, as he was himself as he shaved each morning ! LOVE the way you handled the colours and texture of his uniform, and how you faded it out as the eye decends to the tanks. Gorgeous and clever sky/flag creativity ! The Colt looks so real it may fall off the canvas onto my keyboard and that would scare the c**p outa me !!! There may not be the same 'weight' in the lower left as the other areas, but I certainly don't find it empty (what the dickens is that license-plate looking symbol there ????).
No wonder the commissioner is pleased- this is terrific ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deano
09-22-2004, 02:33 AM
Hi Dabblerdot/Lauren. Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy your gift for words.what the dickens is that license-plate looking symbol there ????). It's a sign signifying "Bastogne". One of the achievements Patton is noted for is racing there to cut off the Germans before they arrived thereby causing a significant change in the war to the favor of the Allies.

Deano

Eileenjm
09-22-2004, 03:03 AM
Brilliant work.

Eileen

Deano
09-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Than you, Eileen. :)

Deano