PDA

View Full Version : Is there a master list of stamp art or federal art competitions?

Rusalka
09-20-2004, 01:55 PM
I've been trying to find out about these on the internet, but for some reason, it's really difficult to find anything in my searches. I'm talking about duck stamp, turkey stamp, fish stamp, etc. competitions. Is there a handy master list somewhere of competitions? Also, I'm looking for public competitions in general, things like the "Arts for the Parks competition". Are there any others like this?

Rusalka
09-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Am I asking in the wrong forum? If so can you direct me to the appropriate one? Moderators? Someone? Thanks.

AFM159
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Sorry, I've been keeping a low profile for a few days, trying to get some work done. I did give some thought to your question.

I doubt you'll find any sort of "master list" for such things. There are a few sources that you can check into though. Try the magazines Art Calander and Sunshine Artist, both have listings. You might also try the 2004 Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market (Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market, 2004) . One last thing is to try searching the internet.

That's the best I got, hope that helps, good luck.

Axl
09-21-2004, 08:02 PM
No, you're not in the wrong forum. umm. All i can say is it might take a day or 2 to get some replies... :) Sometimes it takes a bit longer, being one of the slower forums on the site.

That said. Its quality not quantity thats important ^.^ This forum has definatley become a favourite. lol.

Dallen
09-22-2004, 01:07 AM
There is some of the information you are looking for here.

http://www.palc.org/petprojects/stampoutcsac.html :wave:

Good Luck,
Dallen

Rusalka
09-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the link, but I don't think post office holds many competitions - don't they invite established illustrators to submit designs? I'm talking about stamps for hunting and fishing, etc. Usually these are done in each state, and they are contests. (I'm looking for contests where anyone can enter and the piece is chosen on merit)

There is one federal duck stamp competition (which I know about already).

Mkent41616
09-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the link, but I don't think post office holds many competitions - don't they invite established illustrators to submit designs? I'm talking about stamps for hunting and fishing, etc. Usually these are done in each state, and they are contests. (I'm looking for contests where anyone can enter and the piece is chosen on merit)

There is one federal duck stamp competition (which I know about already).

check hte USPS website and look for arts dealines list they have a free publication that isnt timely or a paid publication that is

Rusalka
09-23-2004, 11:56 AM
The USPS doesn't govern hunting stamp contests.

prairie painter
09-24-2004, 01:01 PM
If you hold on a bit longer, I'll bet Larry Seiler will spot this thread. He's the Font of All Knowledge on such things :D

Rusalka
09-24-2004, 01:49 PM
I posted a similar question in his own thread and he never answerd. :(

Axl
09-24-2004, 03:18 PM
heh. well. you could always hit the report thread to moderator button and tell him to take a look :p

lol.

but you didnt get that idea from me.

Rusalka
09-30-2004, 01:46 PM
bump

LarrySeiler
10-08-2004, 05:50 PM
well...here's your Official answer. I've done wildlife art for near 25 years and... I DON'T KNOW...

I contact the department of natural resources of each state I'm interested in and the feds. Word of mouth. Search engines...whatever

I recall there may have been a list once...but again, I DON'T KNOW

ever since the stamps became more and more worthless as far as the artist making money...such a list perhaps found less demand.

In Wisconsin alone...there used to be a couple hundred artists submitting for the duck stamp...now, perhaps about 30 or less.

I was our state's last winner of the inland trout stamp where they actually made the sportsmen yet apply a stamp to their license.

Now they have this generic print out adhesive plastic thing and if you buy a trout stamp it just prints "trout stamp $7" on the thing.

I'm told that if you paid for a stamp, you can actually visit a DNR station and request a stamp at the counter, but you'll pay an additional $3 counter fee.

So...that still does not answer your question. Hope someone more qualified somewhere sees your post. Moderators don't always have the answers. I saw your question earlier...and didn't have an answer then, nor do I have much of one now.

good luck...

Larry

Rusalka
10-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your answer! Maybe just relating your experiences would be a good place to start. I don't know who governs these stamps, is it always the "DNR" of each state? You mentioned in another thread you entered a turkey stamp in Wisconsin, is it the same people who do the duck stamps? I'm sure you know about that one since you entered it. Do you have a link, I couldn't find one on the web. Thanks again! (I am aware one probably has to live in Wisconsin to enter that state's competition)

LarrySeiler
10-09-2004, 10:35 PM
I answered the turkey thread for you...

Years ago...there was a list that some artist actually labored to put together. I remember at events/shows, competitions and such he was distributing them. I may have even received one way back when.

If a state does not as a rule get very many entrees from their own residents they will open it for outside artists. The only way you'll know for certain is to inquire of each state. Not sure every state has an official "Department of Natural Resources" as does Wisconsin. I know upper Michigan does. Other states might refer to it as the Department of Tourism....who knows. But, 15-20 minutes plugging keywords into google.com or altavist.com should reveal much. State departments make themselves fairly easy to access.

take care...good luck!

Larry

lene
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi

I don't know if this link will help you?
http://www.artshow.com/juriedshows/

as I don't know if there are any stamp-competitions listed.

Good luck :)

julisart
08-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Don't know if you're still watching this site for answers, Rusalka, but I just came across your question. Here is a site for the Federal Duck stamp contest... http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/

For state ones, check on your state DNR website. For example, Minnesota's is:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contests/stamps.html

Good luck!

-Juli.