PDA

View Full Version : The Chocolateberry Tree roughs

TedDawson
09-20-2004, 10:54 AM
I told my kids a bedtime story the other night and now I'm working on turning it into a picture book called The Chocolateberry Tree.

I've done a couple of designs for the actual Chocolateberry Tree. Question: Does this look like a chocolateberry tree to you?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/36907-chocolateberry_color.jpg

Also including some roughs. Climbing the mountain to see if the Giant Nose can tell them where to find the tree.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/36907-climbing.gif

Rafting down the river to find the waterfairy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/36907-rafting.gif

Finding the water fairy behind a small waterfall, to see if she can help them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/36907-waterfairy.gif

An interesting side note... for the sketches, I closed my eyes while I was drawing, to get the layout and feel that was in my head. Then I went in and tightened them up.

Comments or suggestions regarding the layouts are welcome.

roger41
09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Ted,
Great drawings...my 3 year old was just sitting in my lap looking at them and they are a hit with him and I:D I guess you have some new fans. Nice tree ...I don't know what a chocolateberry tree looks like, but i like this one :D great job....good luck with the book.

Roger

TedDawson
09-20-2004, 08:53 PM
my 3 year old was just sitting in my lap looking at them and they are a hit with him

Success!!!

Thanks, Roger. Y'know, my kids haven't paid all that much attention to my work until I started working on children's illustrations. That makes it nicer. And with some luck, I'll start growing my junior fan base :cool:

An illustrator friend just suggested that I take these straight into Photoshop or Painter and start working on 'em. Surely, I do miss the spontaneity that you get from initial pencil drawings. Maybe I can find a happy medium somewhere...

AFM159
09-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Very cool indeed!

Does this look like a chocolateberry tree to you?

mmmmmmmmm.......chocolateberry.......yessssss....

Comments or suggestions regarding the layouts are welcome.

ok....I like the first two for sure, but there's something about the last one that I can't quite put my finger on, so let's just say, there's something about the last one.

for the sketches, I closed my eyes while I was drawing, to get the layout and feel that was in my head.

That really is an interesting way to go about it. I have tried to draw like that before, and of course, did exercises of that nature in High School Art classes. They're supposed to help your hand/eye/brain coordination, but mine were always just a mess. Think that says somethin'? :eek:

coolray
09-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Ted, this is a great begining!!!!! I love it!

As far as the chocolateberry tree, I'm thinkin it's not lush enough with leaves. But that is my take on it. The berries could stand out more, but I am not sure how you could work that since brown and green are not a good contrast. Maby white leaves? Just a thought.

Otherwise, you have a great thing going here! I can't wait to see what the book will look like!!

Terry

TedDawson
09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Terry, I think you're right... I fiddled with colors in Photoshop a little, and leaves that are white or another unusual color give it a better feel.

I am so NOT a detail person. But if you're gonna invent a new kinda tree, ya gotta.

Oh, dang, I forgot I have a deadline tonight... :eek:

prairie painter
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
These are just Impossibly cute!! Working with/for kids really is addictive, isn't it.
Chocolateberry made me thing of huckleberry bushes, and your illustration looks alot like that. Huckleberry bushes like to grow out of decaying stumps, might be a fun variation on the idea, but that's just my mind rambling off again :)

Victoriart
09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I think at the moment the tree doesn't look appealing enough (because I'm assuming a chocolateberry tree would be a good thing!) I think the leaves could possibly be purple, for some reason this colour is very widely associated with chocolate. Also this would look quite fun!

Or they could be purple and green! But that would look too much like Barney the dinosaur :confused:

designbyjen
09-29-2004, 03:03 PM
i think your tree is just yummy. very nice leaf shaping & 'berry' placement. if anything you could zoom in so the chocolate & leaf details could be seen better.
curious as to size of tree & it's 'fruits' vs. size of kids. if it's a small tree could consider bonsai aspects so it's not accused of being a bush/shrub which would really screw w/ the title.
other than that, i think you'll do great w/ layout & picking a consistant style to flesh it w/....all looks great. very inspiring process!
now where's my bon bon? *snort*
~~~jen