PDA

View Full Version : Ballintoy WIP

mooz49
09-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I have been doing another painting frtom an old photograph. It is not a very good photograph but I will post it also. I added the horsedrawn cart from a different picture.
Any comments welcome.

metalhead
09-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Looks pretty good. One minor thing I noticed (only because you mentioned you added the cart) the sky looks kind of overcast, (or maybe it isn't but the overall gray just makes it look that way?) and overcast skies usually don't cast strong distinct shadows like the one the horse and cart is casting. Also, looking at the lighting on the houses, it's not clear the shadow is going the right way...

Edit: Well, after zooming in on the photo... maybe it's alright after all. Kind of hard to tell.

Lady Carol
09-20-2004, 10:58 AM
You could always add a shaft of sunlight onto the cart. That would solve the shadow issue. Great piece.

mooz49
09-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Metalhead - thank you - I will make the shadow a little weaker.

Lady Carol - thank you also - I will 'try' and put a shaft of light on the cart.

Anne

Marty C
09-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi Mooz,
Nice job on the perspective, an interesting piece. One thing to improve the depth aspect is the treatment of edges. Up close, edges are hard and defined, with distance edges soften and blur, detail is reduced. Prgressive softening of edges in a perspective such as this is quite effective in increasing depth. This applies to both the hoses and the distant range of hills.
As has been stated, the other aspect is to establish your light source, at present the cart shadow suggests the houses on the right should also be casting an appreciable shadow.
One thing in terms of focus - the photo is stark, the eye is drawn to the houses and road by the contrast with the empty sky. Your work would be similarly improved by removing the competing dark clouds and lifting the value of the sky, the better to contrast with your darker houses.

mooz49
09-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Marty - thanks for the great tips. I will be working on it this afternoon sometime and will post a new pic later. :wave:

mooz49
09-22-2004, 10:51 AM
OK I have made a few changes! I am beginning to wish I had not added that cart with the shadows!! I am not good with shadows and understanding where the light is coming from :confused:
The clouds have gone :wave:
The question is ...... is it getting any better or am I creating more problems?
:o

Marty C
09-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi Mooz,
Very much improved! Well done.

mooz49
09-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks Marty - I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :wave:

ExpressiveAngie
09-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Mooz I love it...I like your painting much more than the photograph...job well done!

Bioartist
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
The question is ...... is it getting any better or am I creating more problems? :o

Absolutely perfect - you have captured that "old world" charm. :clap: :clap:
Stacey

mooz49
09-24-2004, 03:37 AM
Stacey and Angie ............. thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to comment. :wave: :wave:

Anne