PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me how to use "silver black"?

newyorkglitter
09-20-2004, 01:47 AM
HI,
I need to know how to use "silver black". I bought some the other day at a local bead store but they were not very helpful when I asked how to use it. :(
Maybe cause they know I work at a different bead store? ( a more helpful and cheaper bead store I might add) Anyway I tried it on a headpin by just putting some on with a Q-tip. I wasn't told whether to rinse it or not, how much to use or anything. Just that it might burn my hands if I touch it. I want to make sure I am doing it right if I decide to sell anything I make with it. Is it safe to use on ear wires? I think it is neat to be able to make your silver black. Is there anything else you can use to do the same thing? That may be cheaper? They were also kinda expensive. But they were the only one in town who had it so I wanted to make the trip.
Thank you in advance!! :)

Allison

New York Glitter Designs

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 06:27 AM
This may sound shocking, but I use clorite to tarnish silver (have to rinse it off pretty well - otherwise it smells or worse will irritate the skin).

I wish I could lay my hands on liver of sulphur though :( No idea where to get it in Germany.

Any ideas?

Iona
09-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I have a 1/2 jar of Griffith Silver-Black I have had for a number of years, and it still is good. I use a cheep small paint brush to paint on where I want the black to go. Sometimes it needs a little help to turn real black and I use an iron wire or broken saw blade to do this. Just touch some areas where the silver-black is on your silver. When you have covered the silver and it is as black as you like, rinse in water and dry your piece. To remove some of the black, such as the top area of jewelry I use a minature cotton buffing wheel with white rouge. Example: Twisted wire bracelet, leave the black in the low areas and shiny on the top exposed wire. It is called antiquing and is expensive in jewelry stores. So if someone asks what is the black tell them you antiqued it, it is a special process and takes time to do. Be sure to rinse well for earwires. It's not as smelly as the liver of sulpur but works well for black. Also rinse the brush well for the next use. If you wanted to do several earrings I would pour silver-black into a small plastic container and then throw away, do not replace it in the jar. You could also wear rubber gloves or use plastic tweezers. It also says "Keep out of reach of children" Poison. Iona

Barrie
09-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Silver black works great, just paint it on where you need it, then rinse. If you tumble polish, it will be worn off wherever the shot can reach. Use a natural bristle brush to paint with (eats cheapie dollar store paintbrushes!). It is a harsh chemical, so wear rubber gloves, in a well ventilated area, have baking soday handy for any spills, and be sure to protect your eyes and skin. Read the bottle for any other cautions or warnings!

Iona
09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Liver of Sulphur in Germany, maybe ask at a drug store or try chemical co. Iona

Iona
09-20-2004, 02:28 PM
I have used a tumbler to remove some of the black, but you may need to change the water because it can do just the opposite of what you want and tarnish everything else after. It can also tarnish the tumbling shot and you will have to clean that before doing any other jewlery. Just keep the water clean and by adding new cleaner. Iona

Gingerbiscuit
09-20-2004, 05:16 PM
I haven't tried this, but have it on good authority:

Hard boil an egg and chop it up and put it in a ziplock bag with your silver. The egg should be hot, and mustn't touch the silver. Seal the bag. Your silver will blacken.

HTH! :)

LadyArowana
09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
I haven't tried this, but have it on good authority:

Hard boil an egg and chop it up and put it in a ziplock bag with your silver. The egg should be hot, and mustn't touch the silver. Seal the bag. Your silver will blacken.

HTH! :)

I think the "eggy" smell is hydrogen sulphide so I guess that is what reacts with the silver. Heaven forbid I should have to cook something though ! Fiona

newyorkglitter
09-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Hey thanks guy's for all the reply's! You have all been very helpful! :clap:

Thanks again!

Allison
New York Glitter Designs

Kreszentia
09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Hello Karen,

try to get liver of sulfur at a pharmacy. At least this is were I got it years ago.

Bye

Kreszentia

P.S.: feels strange to write to you in english knowing you and me are german :-)

acorns2oaks
09-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Hey you! :wave: just wanted to pop over and say hello when I noticed you were posting I had to say hello!!! having a garage sale/glass demo/beadie sale at my house on Saturday.... :angel: you are welcomed to come by! you know where it is.... :evil:

prayers and hugs,

stacy :wave: