PDA

View Full Version : WEEKLY SKETCH THREAD Sept. 20- Sept. 26., '04

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 02:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME to the Weekly Sketch thread!

We had some very interesting work submitted last week , so if you misssed it, you can follow the following link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215902

This is open to everyone working in pastels, soft and oil. Here we can have all the fun of painting without any of the worry! Think of this as the experimental learning thread also...One hour is not a whole lot of time to learn something that could impact your art for a lifetime!

Post anything you've done during the week which took you under one hour....exercises, doodles, or complete paintings...in any style. Experiment, break the rules, or sharpen your present skills by working within a set time frame. You probably haven't had a chance to properly evaluate you work, much less be ready to receive a critique, but if you desire suggestions from other members, just ask.

Try to keep your sketch time under 60 minutes, but if you go overtime, post your work anyway. Losing track of time while working is a sign that you're having FUN while you work.

Enjoy the week, and share part of your life with us through sketching!!

Nancy Leone
09-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Sunday, was a gorgeous day after the remains of Ivan left Cape Cod. Took a walk out to the very tip of the Cape. With the wind gusting to 30-35 miles an hour I sketched this 9x13 on matboard in about 15 minutes. When I finished a spectacular rainbow came out directly over the lighthouse...didn't paint it in, just toooo pretty. Worked another 15 minutes on this at home. Guess it looks pretty childish. C&C greatly appreciated!
Nancy

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Cape Cod....after Ivan..what a great title with historical significance....Childish????I think not...I am going to reserve c&c till you have worked more on it ( hint..i like the idea of a colorful rainbow)..What you have here is great !

You get the star for being the first to post this week!!!!!

Khadres
09-21-2004, 01:52 AM
Very neat! I like the water and beach! I'd just love to live that close to the ocean! You should do LOTS of these! Good work!

Nancy Leone
09-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Preston & Sooz, Thanks. Spent last night fighting the wind blown clouds...to no avail. The rainbows appeared and disappeared. The blue-green matboard wouldn't hold the pastel and the fixative (sprayed only on the sky turned the sky to water) This sounds pretty good, maybe I should write rather than try and paint?! Anyway here's the results. Oh, time, the 30 minute sketch turned into an hour's worth of "frustrating learning". Nancy

Khadres
09-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Ohhhh, I like this, Nancy! Love the wind-blown clouds and grass! You've obviously learned a LOT and come out with a NICE painting! I'd say this was a success! Good for you!

prestonsega
09-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Preston & Sooz, Thanks. Spent last night fighting the wind blown clouds...to no avail. The rainbows appeared and disappeared. The blue-green matboard wouldn't hold the pastel and the fixative (sprayed only on the sky turned the sky to water) This sounds pretty good, maybe I should write rather than try and paint?! Anyway here's the results. Oh, time, the 30 minute sketch turned into an hour's worth of "frustrating learning". Nancy

Oh I think this turned out great.. :clap: There is a lot of movement particularly in the marshy grasses.

khourianya
09-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Ok, guys.

First sketch of the week. This one took me barely over the hour mark. it would have been less, but I started to fiddle and almost ruined her. Anyway - it's pretty much done and I know it has issues, but I am trying to work on a weak area as I go (guess I should really cross post now, shouldn't I).

I may add a teeny bit more, but for now...this is it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/47843-cori_africanqueen.jpg

prestonsega
09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
"but I started to fiddle and......"

LOL...oh, the age old question...when is it time to stop? Just one more....lol

In looking back to last week's thread...you seem to be starting a series of native portrait sketches. Was this just coincidental or conscious? And what was your inspiration for this week's submission?

khourianya
09-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Interesting observation. My only train of thought in the attempt to capture portraits was to start getting features down in subjects and that I could get the skintones somewhat close while I practice the features. Caucassian skin tones seem so much trickier to me and so I am taking this one in baby steps.

This one was inspired by a picture I saw in a magazine, but the woman reminded me so sharply of one of my students when I used to teach computer classes, so I was compelled to capture her essence into the picture of this native tribeswoman.

as for the "but I started to fiddle and......" well, I just picked up the October issue of The Artist's Magazine and there is an article in there on that exact topic! lol. I plan to study it :p

Khadres
09-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Really nice one, Cori! I like the reflected lights below the jaw and chin, especially. Profile portraits are among the hardest, I think...you did GOOD! Keep challenging yourself with these...you're really moving along with 'em!

prestonsega
09-24-2004, 12:40 AM
I was playing the slide show through the reference library with one eye on the monitor and one eye on tv......this image of a male dressed in jeans playing the cello stopped me dead in my tracks.....got out of bed and went to the studio to paint him....btw, he's playing anew song :music:

9"x 12" on Wallis .... 55 min
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/29946-cellist.jpg

Khadres
09-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Awrightttttttttt! Neat one, Preston! Too cool. Isn't it fun when something siezes your imagination like that? Wow! :clap:

khourianya
09-24-2004, 02:10 AM
That is gorgeous, Preston. the colours are so rich and vibrant - i can almost hear the robust sound of the cello emanating from it...stunning.

prestonsega
09-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks ya'll....Now that I have looked at this again, he looks like an alien with his big ole' head :D ....a legal alien anyway...lol.

khourianya
09-24-2004, 09:22 AM
No, he doesn't, you silly goose. He looks like an artist with a shaved head.

SweetBabyJ
09-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe it isn't his head's so big as that he is a bit lesser endowed from the waist down...? Maybe one of those Kentuckians- you know- 3 million people, 4 last names? Great colour usage, Preston- really nice- you must've really released a lot of energy doing this.

Now- get moving on the show- if Jeannie hits, the library can be a shelter and you'll have a captive audience.

prestonsega
09-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Maybe it isn't his head's so big as that he is a bit lesser endowed from the waist down...?

naw,,,he's got the big head 'cause he's playing at a concert in Roswell,NM!!!! :D ( My appologies to the model, who was well proportioned)

Khadres
09-24-2004, 02:41 PM
LOL, you nut! Easy enough to scale his noggin down a little by expanding the dark background a smidgen, but I don't think this is the real issue. The painting makes a statement about music and the musician's celebration of it. Very cool.

E-J
09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Preston, remarkable colours! You've still got 5 mins to play with ... scale down his head slightly and put this one in a frame.

Nancy, your treatment of the clouds and grasses is sensitive - really like it.

Cori, portraits in profile sound scary ... never dared to try one myself! Looks as if you're having fun with these.

Nice stuff everyone :)

prestonsega
09-24-2004, 07:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/29946-cellist.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/29946-cello2.jpg

I tried.... just short of losing the sense of spontaneity..(I think)...Good gosh,,I didn't know I did all that to him.....WAS I ABDUCTED?

Khadres
09-25-2004, 12:35 AM
LOL...Looks good! You sure you didn't let the little green aliens help? (There could be definite advantages to blaming things on green extraterrestrials, you know!..."The Greenies made me do it!") In this case, however, they were right! :D

BTW, have you developed a sudden hankering for aluminum foil sandwiches? A yearning to stick your finger in light sockets, maybe? Just look out for any sort of probe!

E-J
09-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Preston was on my case in another thread about posting a sketch ... he is utterly merciless when he gets into his slavedriver mode :D

So, I am finally making a start on my first commission! This is a small (5.5x6") 40-min job, the first in a series of colour sketches to help my client/friend decide on the pose and background she'd prefer. I have never attempted a dog before and figured this would also give me a chance to become familiar with my subject, select a palette, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/13865-benjer1.jpg

E-J
09-26-2004, 10:27 AM
'Nother dawg sketch. 50 minutes this time and a different pose but the same palette of pastels and same warm sandy-orange Canson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/13865-benjer2.jpg