PDA

View Full Version : Monday Sept 20th Show & Tell

CorvetteJuliet
09-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Ah... it feels good to be getting back to the torch and eBay! I'm finally getting the old bod back to this time zone after a week in Europe. I've had fun playing with my new glass I got at the factory in Lauscha. :) Here are 2 new bead sets from this weekend - the purple set with all the flowers and swirls is called "Forbidden Passion" and the lentil set is called "Primordial Sea". :) I used frit decorated stringer on the lentils. ~Juliet

Jiley
09-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Oh Juliet - those are fabulous!
Hope you had a great time in Europe!

I have been playing with lentils - I have been hooked!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=168666&stc=1

margaretz
09-20-2004, 02:39 AM
Juliet- Great set! I'm sure shopping for those colors was fun! (I'm so jealous!)
Jiley- your lentils look great- I like the combo of beads you used in the set!!!
I've been playing with a combo of two styles, essentially "twistified" Biologicals (microscope slide-inspired) beads. The first has one of the new Vetrofond reds with transl. yellow and the second a trans teal base with white and cobalt. Have a great monday, everyone!!!

Beth Myers
09-20-2004, 03:00 AM
Sweet Stuff Ladies! :wink2:
Beth

Juls
09-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Juliet and Jiley... :clap: :clap: :clap: GORGEOUS beadies!

MZ, you are a mentor to me...I absolutely LOVE your work!!!

hugs~
~Juls

Vaverska
09-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Wow Ladies! just three posts in, and already such pretty things! Sounds like you had a neat trip Juliet, and I don't think your work has suffered one bit for your hiatus! Jiley and MargaretZ are showing nice stuff as well! Very vivid colors! I especially like the orange in the one lentil Jiley...seems everyone BUT me is doing lentils lately! I have the presses, just need to hop to it!
My stuff is nothing very out of the ordinary, just basic Moretti glass. I did use some " Rose Tea" I got from Monique @ Jo-del recently, and some playing around with the effect of layering with the moretti purple. These are bigger than my usual stuff ( all over 1 1/2 inch long). I hope my Pics are getting a bit clearer and easier to see! A different 'look" to my stuff than has been seen on WC before. Everything seems to end up looking very "Tribal" this week!

paintingwithglass
09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Good morning! Delightful posts so far. I played with Raku stringers. Here is one set going on the bay later today. Have a Magnificent Monday. Off to go to the post office. :wave:

koregon
09-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Beautiful Beads Juliet and Jiley~
Margaret...always enjoy your focals...beautiful!
Vaverska~ the one with lime dots has a great cool shape!!! What is Rose Tea???
Painting With Glass...raku is great isn't it??? I haven't put it on ivory much....pretty pillows!

More R108 powder beads....I have to try really hard and work with something else today...but darn I love this stuff.

jeffwelsh23462
09-20-2004, 11:42 AM
here are my things for the day...

mtbarr
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
I've been playing with a combo of two styles, essentially "twistified" Biologicals (microscope slide-inspired) beads. The first has one of the new Vetrofond reds with transl. yellow and the second a trans teal base with white and cobalt. Have a great monday, everyone!!![/QUOTE]

This style just stuns my mind. I love them. Keep up the process as I never tire of the visual....

mtbarr
09-20-2004, 12:20 PM
here are my things for the day...

I am noticing a continual improvement in your art.. this stuff is beautiful...

Bubbyanne
09-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I've been playing with a combo of two styles, essentially "twistified" Biologicals (microscope slide-inspired) beads. The first has one of the new Vetrofond reds with transl. yellow and the second a trans teal base with white and cobalt. Have a great monday, everyone!!!

Margaretz,
I have to comment on your beads. I have taken notice of your work several times and I don't know what you look at under that microscope but the way you translate it into glass is stunning. Your colors are so bold and vibrant, your beads just jump off my monitor. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.
Barb

Bubbyanne
09-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Margaretz,
I have to comment on your beads. I have taken notice of your work several times and I don't know what you look at under that microscope but the way you translate it into glass is stunning. Your colors are so bold and vibrant, your beads just jump off my monitor. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.
Barb

Juliet-Very pretty sets, I like your color use. (I'm a sucker for purple)

Jiley-Very nice lentils, keep em' coming, you do them well.

Carrie-Some cool beadies you got there, I especially like the purple. I may have to check into that rose tea glass you mentioned.

Paintingwithglass-Welcome! Your Raku pillows are great! I'm raku challenged but working on it.

Kaye-Keep making beads with the R108, your beads are gorgeous.

Jeff-Wow...I rrreeeally like your sea horses.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.
Barb

P.S. I'm not sure what happened that my post was submitted twice. I'm certain it was my fault just don't know what I did. Sorry.

jeffwelsh23462
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
QUOTE=mtbarr]I am noticing a continual improvement in your art.. this stuff is beautiful...[/QUOTE]
thanks so much. i am trying my hardest. had a great torch weekend... everyone seems to love the sea dragon! :clap: i get my camera back today from being fixed so my pictures will be much better w/ more detail tomorrow.

Tink
09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Seems like I'm always late to the party, but better late than never, eh? LOL!

The tell part is that this is a blown Moretti vessel made on a 1/4" hollow stainless mandrel. Here is the show part:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10179-pinkfrost2.jpg

CorvetteJuliet
09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. :) I thought I'd pop back in and check out the eye-candy (in this and the other Monday thread. :wink2: )

Jiley - Fabulous blend of patterning! Wish I could see those mixes in my head! ;)
Margaret - Wow! Stunning. Your beads are always so crisp and inspiring.
Carrie - Really neat. The bead with the green dots reminds me of the thing in the middle of a planetarium or a early sci-fi movie sattelite. :)
Paintingwithglass - Oh wow! Can't wait till my R-108 arrives! Yum!
Kaye - So fabulous! I'll be pulverizing some of that frit to powder for sure. :) Did the colors on the barrel shaped bead come out by marvering it on brass or ???
Jeff - Fabulous pieces. You certainly have mastered dichro placement & how to really get it to stand out well & work with the shapes of the glass.

Edit - Tink! You snuck in on me. Wonderful! How big is the vessel? It's so wonderfully shaped I just want to fondle it. :D Are you blowing to form it or making hollow shapes off the end of the mandrel?

travelin'gal
09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone! Some beautiful beads & things today. Margaret, those beads have a really cool effect :clap: .

Kaye, I am totally hooked on R108 myself. Just tried it for the first time ever, though you are makng me want that powder.

Here are my first attmepts with Raku/Color shift:
Deanna

Dallas
09-20-2004, 02:34 PM
All are truely beautiful. Love all the different styles. I am so jealous of your being able to post pictures. I am still not able, and have given up trying to figure it out. I hate not being able to show you. The beads I am doing are very different. Lots of clear, sparkle, and depth. Still don't know how I get it most of the time. Any way. Love the inspiration I get even if I can't share.
Thanks to all,
Cheryl

mysticspiral
09-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Wow! Great work, everyone! I'm particularly enamored of Tink's Vessel, but I'm particularly fond of vessels. I've really missed checking in on these threads. I'd forgotten how very inspiring they can be. It makes me want to rush into the studio and not come out until I have pretty things to show off myself. Hopefully it won't be more than another week before I can make enough stuff to fill a kiln, it's hard to tell with the new baby (see my thread in the lobby if you want to see pictures... :) )

Blessings,

Andi.

Dallas
09-20-2004, 02:53 PM
O.K. I tried one last time and it is saying that there is an attachment. Hope this works. Don't mind the background. This is not cropped.
Cheryl

Tink
09-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Tink! You snuck in on me. Wonderful! How big is the vessel? It's so wonderfully shaped I just want to fondle it. :D Are you blowing to form it or making hollow shapes off the end of the mandrel?

Thanks you guys! The vessel is 33mm high from lip to tip and about 40 from wing to wing.

Three years of trial and error... LOTS of error... has gotten me to the point where I feel pretty comfortable with blowing these little suckers. I use a hollow stainless mandrel with bead release, for starters. I make the neck at the very end of the mandrel, then add a lip wrap. A gather of glass goes at the bottom of the neck, and then I heat, shrink, blow, repeat until I have a nice round shape. A quick anchor and tug at the bottom using a cold rod gives me the final shape. Then handles are added. Finally, I decorate the body however I want. A nice, thorough soak is given before I pop it into the kiln.

Vaverska
09-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I love looking in on everyones neat stuff! All so awesome! And alot of improvements overall even since I signed on!
The "Rose Tea" Lauscha glass ( I said Moretti, sorry!) was purchased from Jo-Del, it is a bit rosier than it looks in the pic, and is a rosier version of Transparent moretti topaz. Very stiff to work with, but I like that it stayed where I put it! Worked out great for this odd form! Thanks for the input everyone! I like knowing what ya'll think!

rosiescreations
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Beautiful work everyone!

Here are my Tile beads for today.
White, pink enamel and intense black stringer.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/23666-patties_079.jpg

MissP_32
09-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello all,

I've been a quiet lurker for quite some time now. Guess I may as well take the dive. Here's a set I made recently. Sometimes I think I try way too hard and these are very simple. I'm mostly proud of my pic, though :D

Hopefully I can get it to upload ...

Oh, and Tink, your vessel is TO DIE FOR!

Thanks!
Miss P

tiger1
09-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Miss P, those are gorgeous!!! What kind of glass did you use?
Mandy

MissP_32
09-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mandy! Those are just moretti transparrants over white dots (Corina's rainbow beads) with Lauscha clear encasing. Simple, but elegant (at least I think so).

Miss P