PDA

View Full Version : Show & Tell Monday, 9/20

Shirley C.
09-20-2004, 12:52 AM
i'm home!! FINALLY!! and i still can't figure out what time zone my body is in, so i'm gonna go with the east coast and start the new S & T thread. (gutsy of me, eh?) :D

while i was playing nurse to my poor injured mom, i spent the nights making stuff. i did 3 garden-style bracelets, 1 very lush garden-style necklace (which i sold - dang, no picture!), and 2 chain mail bracelets. here are the garden bracelets.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-ProvenceGardenBracelet.jpg

this next one is going to a gallery in farmington, connecticut.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-VineyardBracelet.jpg

and this one is my favorite - i just love the autumn colors. it's too thick to play nice on the scanner so i couldn't get a larger image of the whole thing. i've included a larger image of each side of the bracelet along with the whole thing. i'm going to make a necklace to match after i make the lampwork beads for it. i can't wait to get back on the torch!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestBracelet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestLeft.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestRight.jpg

newyorkglitter
09-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Very pretty Shirley!! I like the one on the bottom best, but they are all very nice! :D I would love to learn how to make a bracelet like those.
What happened to your Mom? I hope she is ok!! What is a chain mail bracelet? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Thanks!
Allison

New York Glitter Designs

Andee
09-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Shirley, welcome back! And what amazing pieces you made, they're all gorgeous, it's hard to pick a favourite, but I'd probably go for the last one, that looks extra special! :clap:

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Beautiful bracelets! Love the last one best because of the beautiful luster combination :) Hope your mom is fully OK again.

I have been busy too and finally finished 2 chokers with some more beaded chain I had made.

First one is grey cluny lace with czech glass and a venise lace appliqué, second is gimp lace with more czech glass beads - all on German silver wire.

Have a nice day!

Wrong picture order corrected.

tamjai
09-20-2004, 06:36 AM
shirley - i love the green one in the middle - the lampwork beads are stunning on their own! glad your back and your mom's okay
karen - the soft grey choker is definitely special - dumb question - what is 'cluny' lace?
nothing from me right now i'm off to work
tam

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi!

Cluny lace is a type of bobbin lace. It is usually shaped into that criscrossing pattern you can see. Named after a French city, so maybe it originates from there ? No idea :)

I just remembered about a question concerning my white lace choker from last friday. It is indeed tatting :)

McDuck
09-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Oh Shirley it is good to see you back in our ranks. how is your Mom??? What beautiful bracelets, I too like the lampwork in the second one. sweet!

KAren, really very pretty chokers! How long does it take you on the average to make one?? sems like a lot of needle work going on there.

Just emptied my kiln but need a shower first before I post.

-Mary

carebear
09-20-2004, 09:14 AM
morning all!

what great stuff already! yippee!
shirley, all three bracelets are wonderful! I couldn't pick a favorite if I had to...

oskadis..beautiful work as always...the black one is so elegant!

as for me, getting ready for the Red Hat convention this weekend...the boss wants the staff at the restaurant to wear purple and red all weekend, so I'm making everyone a bracelet (except the guy waiter - he's on his own!) so I made 10 elastic bracelets, and then got to thinking......maybe someone will offer to buy them from the wait staff! I've sold jewelry before that I was wearing.....so now tonight and the rest of this week I'm going to try to make some "nicer" jewelry for the staff to wear as well in hopes of possibly selling it...and make up some business cards as well to go with them!

always a money making schemer! :evil:

the first scan is one of the bracelets..the second are the other 9...all elastic, all made for staff to wear while at work...so didn't use a lot of fancy stuff..but they still sparkle!
carrie

beclectic
09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
i'm home!! FINALLY!! and i still can't figure out what time zone my body is in, so i'm gonna go with the east coast and start the new S & T thread. (gutsy of me, eh?) :D

while i was playing nurse to my poor injured mom, i spent the nights making stuff. i did 3 garden-style bracelets, 1 very lush garden-style necklace (which i sold - dang, no picture!), and 2 chain mail bracelets. here are the garden bracelets.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-ProvenceGardenBracelet.jpg

Shirley, I like the colors of this one a lot.

this next one is going to a gallery in farmington, connecticut.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-VineyardBracelet.jpg

Your lampwork beads in this bracelet make it a really good example of a Garden Bracelet. The colors are subtle and pleasing and very lush. I think this may be my favorite of the three but it is close between 2 and 3.

and this one is my favorite - i just love the autumn colors. it's too thick to play nice on the scanner so i couldn't get a larger image of the whole thing. i've included a larger image of each side of the bracelet along with the whole thing. i'm going to make a necklace to match after i make the lampwork beads for it. i can't wait to get back on the torch!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestBracelet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestLeft.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-HarvestRight.jpg

I think I recognize these beads. Aren't these the beads from the unfortunate Garden Bracelet that got made with a bad batch of Nymo. This one has been appealing to me a long time. The colors are neutral with just the right touch of purple and rust.

beclectic
09-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Beautiful bracelets! Love the last one best because of the beautiful luster combination :) Hope your mom is fully OK again.

I have been busy too and finally finished 2 chokers with some more beaded chain I had made.

First one is grey cluny lace with czech glass and a venise lace appliqué, second is gimp lace with more czech glass beads - all on German silver wire.

Have a nice day!

Wrong picture order corrected.

That beaded chain is really outstanding. The lace is beautiful. I wish I still looked good in chokers. Every one of yours I see I covet.

Carrie - What a good idea to use the staff as models. I particulary like the bracelets with the large geometric pieces. They really pop.

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Carrie, those are truly sparklers. I think your marketing idea good. Tell us how it went!

Mary, the average working time for my chokers is about 3 hours. I do indeed sew all the components on. I only resort to glue, when there is absolutely no way of holding them with a thread - and I will go to great pains to make sewing possible. For these chokers most work went into the chains. I worked about 1,5 and 2 m of beaded chain into them, where I had to sort out the beads as I went. Those big czech rocailles are pretty inconsistent in thickness. When I become impatient I may just quickly whip up a fast choker (you already saw some), but my love lies with all those dramatic chains and danglers ;)

Andee
09-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Karen - lovely work as always, but gosh what a beautiful lace on the second piece! I love that!

Carrie - you've been busy! I love the top bracelet with the bold beads!

My piece for today started out as a necklace, but ended up being entirely unwearable - I guess I'll just drape it around a lamp that has a pink/orange pattern...

beclectic
09-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Why is it unwearable? I love the look. It looks like something a fairy would wear.

Shirley C.
09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
thanks for the compliments! i had to make jewelry while i was back there or i would have gone completely nuts! (as opposed to the partially nuts that i DID go...) :D

karen, those pieces are absolutely wonderful!!

carrie, fun stuff. and i know exactly what you mean about opportunities to sell your stuff. i've sold my stuff on airplanes, in airports, in career center seminars, wherever i possibly can...

andee, i'm curious as to why it's not wearable. it looks really sweet!!! i love the colors, too.

...I would love to learn how to make a bracelet like those.
What happened to your Mom? I hope she is ok!! What is a chain mail bracelet? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Thanks!
Allison

New York Glitter Designs

allison, i learned how to make these bracelets by purchasing kate mckinnon's project workbook 2003 and taking her class at the isgb gathering in portland, oregon. here's a link to her web site:

kate mckinnon (http://www.katemckinnon.com/)

as to my mom, she was in a horrible car accident on july 19 (in connecticut), and after having spent a week with her while she was in the hospital right after the accident, i've been in connecticut with her since aug. 16 (except for a week when i was on the oregon central coast for glass stock). she's doing ok now, but she has a broken ankle - tough for an 80-year-old little lady.

and as for chain mail bracelets, there are several folks here on the wearable art forum who do chain mail. keep checking out the show & tell threads, and if you go back and look at the history you'll find some cool stuff. here are the bracelets that i made back in connecticut - the first one is a byzantine done in both sterling and gold fill. the second one is a sterling "open round" that i made for my cousin's wife. she ordered it back in march, and i finally had a chance to do it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/10433-ChainMailBracelets.jpg

Andee
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Barbara and Shirley! :)

It's unwearable because it just doesn't lay right, the flowers flip over all the time and they scratch - shame, I was hoping for a better outcome... Oh well, my lamp won't mind the scratching! ;)

Shirley - I'm happy for you that your mum is so much better meanwhile! And beautiful chain maille bracelets! :clap:

flynfire
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Shirley, I love the blue and yellow bracelet! O., those chokers are so sexy. Andee, you never know, somebody will want to wear that necklace!
Here's the bracelet I was commissioned to do for the Women Soaring Pilots Association. My chain. The main piece is 20ga sheet overlaid onto 20ga sheet silver. The birds and sun on the side pieces are wire. The sun is a 5mm amber cab. It's adjustable, comfortable, and worn like a watch, not loose and dangling. It's not my usual stone/pierced reversible glider pendant.
Kit

bdswagger
10-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Karen - lovely work as always, but gosh what a beautiful lace on the second piece! I love that!

Carrie - you've been busy! I love the top bracelet with the bold beads!

My piece for today started out as a necklace, but ended up being entirely unwearable - I guess I'll just drape it around a lamp that has a pink/orange pattern...

Did you change this around? How about using the flowers on a crochet lace collar? Or beaded collar?
Leigh

Andee
10-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Did you change this around? How about using the flowers on a crochet lace collar? Or beaded collar?
Leigh

Leigh - no, I didn't change it, the piece is draped around a lamp now. Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't wear collars or chokers, so that wouldn't be any use...

bdswagger
10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Leigh - no, I didn't change it, the piece is draped around a lamp now. Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't wear collars or chokers, so that wouldn't be any use...

Hmm, that's a shame... those flowers are beautiful.
Leigh