PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Touches the Land

Deborah Secor
09-19-2004, 07:02 PM
I started this one as a demonstration for my beginners last week and worked on it today for about an hour. I like it a lot!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/23609-DaylightTouches.jpg

Daylight Touches, 11x17", Wallis

My only question is if the light in the lower left corner is fighting to be the center of interest--and if it is, then should I heighten the drama at the end of that path or quiet down the color in the front corner instead? Or is it okay? I'm leaning twoards okay but thought I'd ask my friends for an opinion... Thanks!

Deborah

Khadres
09-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Nope, the light's perfect! Yummy! I like it more than a lot m'self! :clap:

PS: HOW did you get that gorgeous purple in the hills????

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2004, 07:41 PM
More than ok! I love the colors in the path, and the play of light over it. Just great, Dee.

Kathryn Day
09-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Wonderful painting! I love the colors you use.

Kathryn Wilson
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
This is simply gorgeous Dee! You should love it more than a lot.

If you think the bottom left is keeping the eye there, why not cool down that green? I also think the real dark patch in that corner holds my eye too -

BUT, I want to wander down that path to the end too! :clap:

Deborah Secor
09-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone!! :cool: I really like this one too. I did a version of it a while back and liked some of the things about it but it never seemed finished. This one does--and I suspect the fore is what it's all about. So for now I'm leaving it. The issues of color and value will be good ones to point out to my class anyway.

Sooz, I laid down purple, then a deep blue of that same value, then at the end I licked in some red-violet in the top to show the ridgeline a bit, and a touch or two of magenta. Then I used my shaper to move it all around a little and scampered away from it before I noodled too much! Here's a close up for ya:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/23609-Daylightclose.JPG

Deborah

MollyUnlimited
09-19-2004, 11:49 PM
WOW! Fabulous!

I really like the light in the corner. It's at the "beginning" of the path and kinda says, "Start here!" This is just beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

khourianya
09-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Wow! deborah, this is beautiful!

You couldn't have more aptly named it!

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 05:35 AM
"My only question is if the light in the lower left corner is fighting to be the center of interest"

To me it isn't ,,,if anything I find it just enough to be taunting.....spurring the viewer on down the road, ...almost a stepping stone.... without it this work would be not as interesting.

Paula Ford
09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
This is GORGEOUS Deborah...LOVE IT.

The colors are fantastic. I would brighten up the sunlight way in the distance, but that's just me.

It's beautiful now!!

Paula

meowmeow
09-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Yummy! The light brings you in and sends you down the path...just beautiful! I love it!

sandy

bnoonan
09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Lady you are on a roll!!! the lighting in this is magical and powerful - it really gives you that sense of long light that I personally find so magical in the early morning or late evening - and now - not so early or late hours.

the pink on the mountains a beautiful touch and I'm glad you showed us a close up of it.

Oh Deborah - have to ask... the piece in the Goal thread - was that taken where PJO and I painted with you at sunset by the ball field? It sure looks familiar.

B

jackiesimmonds
09-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Be-yoootiful. Frame it.

Jackie

Dark_Shades
09-20-2004, 05:19 PM
My seal of approval on this one too ..... love it

Artistammy
09-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I agree with everyone else. :clap: :clap:

sundiver
09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Okay! It's okay! No touch! Leave it alone! It's perfect!

Deborah Secor
09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
I want to thank you all so much for your encouragement. I have a feeling that part of the reason this one went so well from the start is because of the GOALS thread. I've felt free to paint those expressive ones and just let loose with color and contrast and line and strokes that are totally intuitive--and somehow that's fed into the rest of my work. (That, and I'm a total show-off and love to paint in front of an audience. My work is always better when I'm talking while doing it!Takes my mind off what's happening, I guess! LOL)

I think I've been suffering a little lack of confidence lately, though not consciously, so your words really lift my spirits! Thanks, friends!!

Deborah

judwal
09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
It's more than okay...it's wonderful!

Nancy Leone
09-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I can feel that high desert air. I spent last winter in Santa Fe and this piece makes me want to return. Nice work!
Nancy

Mikki Petersen
09-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Here comes the caboose...Beautiful, Deborah! I like the light in the foreground...an entry point to begin the journey up the path to those gorgeous purple mountains. I'm with Jackie, Frame it!

DominicM
09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Dee,

All I can say is your beginners were blessed to see a peice like this created before them its wonderful.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

paloma
09-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Just love to feast my eyes on your paintings Dee. This is soooo yummy - don't change a thing. Cheers Alexandra. p.s. could wax lyrical but just a flying visit to see what you have all been up to!!

Nodosaurus
09-21-2004, 01:16 PM
This is great. I really like the masses of greenery. You've also achieved great depth. Your class is fortunate.