PDA

View Full Version : Country Road (wip)

Paula Ford
09-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi All :wave:

Here is something I started last night. Haven't worked on the left side yet except to just lay down some color.

It's a biggie, 19" x 26" on AS, soft pastels

Is there anything you can see that is just awful and needs to be fixed?

Thanks,
Paula
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/1978-countryroad1forwc.jpg

Khadres
09-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Looks quite lovely to me! I think maybe the ruts in the road are a bit widely spaced, but other than that...oh, and how 'bout a bit of scraggly something or other in between the tire tracks? Might liven up the road some more. Nice palette!

khourianya
09-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree about the ruts..although to me they are calling to be "deeper" and I too would love to see some squashy grass in the middle...not alot and it should be close to the road colour

other wise I love it. It reminds me of so many country road I have wandered down in rural Alberta! (Speaking of which - I need to go down some more before it snows and take some country pics for the reference library :D)

Paula Ford
09-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks Sooz & Cori...will fix the road and put some scraggly stuff down it in the next update.

Here's an update.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/1978-countryroad2forwc.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-19-2004, 04:07 PM
I like the underlying shapes in this one and the light and shadow is very soothing. :D

The tracks need to be parallel and in perspective--and there may be multiple sets...or not. If there were I think you could avoid the grass in the center, though it could work, too.

Your fence line worries me. It seems overly crowded and the nearer posts seem too close together. If you took out a few in the nearer areas, it might open up the linear perspective and breathe a little more!

It has such a nice sense of place and time.

Deborah

Paula Ford
09-19-2004, 06:07 PM
One more time...is it getting better or am I digging myself into a hole?

Trying to loosen up a bit :evil: but it's not working so well :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/1978-countryroad3forwc.jpg

MollyUnlimited
09-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I just LOVE this! I could stare at it for hours, seriously. I has all the charm of the country that I just adore. I also love what you've done with the filtered sunlight. Wish I could buy it from you!!!! Is this from a reference or did you "dream" it up? It reminds me of the blue ridge mountains area.

Khadres
09-19-2004, 07:44 PM
I like the added wildflowers and whatever you did to the fence! Very nice, homey scene people are sure to like!

Kathryn Day
09-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Very nice, Paula. I like the wider spaces in the fence posts. Your paintings always evoke a peaceful atmosphere.

dexonsbabe
09-20-2004, 03:13 AM
This is lovely Paula but then your work always is :D

As a beginner to pastels and a struggling one at that looking at your work and others here is an inspiration for me to practise more with the hope of one day producing something half decent.

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 05:01 AM
Paula..I have only one nit pic and it has been consistant from the begining of this thread.....the distant mountain range appears too dark a overpowering on my monitor,,,,I am wondering if it were lightened up...made a little hazy... might not lend itself more to atomospheric perspective and recede somewhat? and it cuts the sky down to a triangle in the upper left corner. (you know it is a great work if that is all I can find to nit pic about :D )

Congrats on another beautiful landscape!

Paula Ford
09-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Molly [blushing] you are so sweet..thank you so much. I can't remember where I got this photo to tell you the truth. Have been racking my brain to try to figure it out. I think it's somewhere in TN.

Sooz, Kathy, thank you!! Just realized a part of my style is to evoke a sense of calm!! LOL never put it down in words before!

Lori [blushing] thank you so much!!

Preston, you are so right. Will work on that mountain tomorrow night and will repost mid-week. Thank you!!

Paula

meowmeow
09-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Coming along so beautifully....this is a lovely, CALM scene...yes...you do evoke that well in your paintings. Very nice!

Sandy

bnoonan
09-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I love this and did from teh first photograph to the very last....

I have only two comments - perhaps the lights that you added to the lit grasses in the upper left are just a bit too bright and a bit too - detailed. Wouldn't they be a bit more blurry and subtle? Hmmm.. I don't paint landscapes as well as you so perhaps you know better. I just find that less detail is sometimes better.

Oh and I'd go a bit more lavender and value close in the sky/mountains in the distance. Didn't see what Preston wrote but perhaps it was the same thing. (checked - yup- sounds like we're in the same camp there.)

You're work is always powerful and impressive!!!

Barb

Paula Ford
09-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks Sandy!!

Thanks Barb!! Will work on it again tomorrow night at class to see if my teacher also has any suggestions.

Paula

Artistammy
09-20-2004, 05:25 PM
This is really wow! I did like the deeper purple shadows on the road in the version before. That could be the scan or photo rather than the painting.

I'm working on the project (painting weakness) so you might like to take a look over there. It's one of the photos I took on Canyon Rd. in Santa Fe.