PDA

View Full Version : Egret Reflecting on the Stream of Time

meowmeow
09-19-2004, 11:31 AM
:D Sorry about the title...couldn't resist! But it is a reflecting egret..no? :D
Anyhooooo...from a photo I took one day when I was painting the brook and this guy happened along. It is Wallis with some Createx (which I got and finally tried...like it but need to learn better how to manipulate it...seems terrific though) with soft pastels. About 8x10.
STill working on it a bit but open to C&C. I'm at the mulling it over stage...I mean reflecting stage...so speak up!
Thanks for looking!

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/15050-egret_small.jpg

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2004, 11:57 AM
You do these little slices of nature so well! I love the rocks and grasses on the bank. Reflections are good, too.

Dark_Shades
09-19-2004, 12:10 PM
ha ha Sandy ......... I must say though..... I love those rocks and grasses..... splendid :clap: ..... just a couple of thoughts..... the reflection seems bigger than the birdie..... and I cant see any beak :eek: ..... perhaps he's wondering how he's going to have a drink :)

meowmeow
09-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks Kate...and er...um..thanks, Dawn! :D No...you are right...I think the reflection did sort of grow. Hmmmm...I'll have to put him on a diet...hence his lack of a beak! :D
Actually...the beak is there and more obvious in the real painting but it is one of the problems here. It is pretty narrow and only a small bit of it is light...I'll have to remedy that somehow. I was worried you wouldn't be able to see it and sure enough...Dawn can't see it! Of course in this case she is right (ouch! I said it!:D)
I'll play with his beak and shrink his big reflected body.
Thanks guys!

s.

khourianya
09-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Love the rocks. love the grasses. The egret looks good, but, besides it being too big, I think the reflection may be a bit too dark. And I think it has more detail than the bird itself...

meowmeow
09-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks Cori. I'll check it. I know in the photo the reflection is pretty dark but I'll double check.

s.

Paula Ford
09-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Love the grasses and rocks and colors Sandy...Oh love the title also!!

Just a suggestion, but if the water has lots of movement in it, the reflection of the bird should be a bit distorted? (Don't listen to me if I'm wrong please!)

Lovely
Paula

Khadres
09-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Nice beginning here! I agree, you're grassy stuff is ace! I'm reserving comment on the egret, since I'm no expert on birds of ANY kind! I'm sure you'll tweak him to perfection anyway!

Deborah Secor
09-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Sandy, you have some very nice contrast and interesting muted colors going here. I like what's happening in the reflections of the foliage and sky particularly. Compositionally you have some good things happening here, such as the grasses and reflections all moving the eye to the bird.

My problem is the reflection of the bird, too. It may be a little large, but I think it's about the right value. That can be affected by so many things, like the color of the water itself. My problem is it looks too solid and stationary, as if it is cutting through the water. To change that you need to let some of the movement of the water flow over it. I suggest you scumble it a little, using the same colors you have next to the reflection. (And maybe do the same thing for the reflections of the dark grasses on the left side below the bank--just a few touches.)

If this were my painting I'd work a little more on the bird itself, since it's undoubtedly the center of interest. The purple is a good start but I suspect it'll end up being a little less intense.

Have fun--I love the work you're doing lately!! :D

Deborah

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 06:16 AM
I know you are still in the working stage...but do NOT touch the grass and rocks.....Sandy, they are phenomenol..I know everyone else has already said it, but I had to echo their words.....now bring the rest of the painting along and I might give you a clappy...lol :D

meowmeow
09-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Boy, was that reflection HUGE! I smallered it. Did some more work on the actual egret and added some "movement" to the reflection, although it is interesting to me that in the photo there really is very little movement there. NOt sure why. But I agree that it makes more sense to add some. ANd the reflection is darker than I have made it. But I think this works.
YOu have to trust me that the real painting has much more going on than you can see here. YOu don't see much detail here on the bird but I think it works in the painting. I think I am done....but feel free to comment. I am always interested in what people see...and of course I may decide to mess with it some more.
Thanks for all the help!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2004/15050-small_egret2.jpg

s.

JamieWG
09-20-2004, 10:20 AM
This is beautiful, Sandy. I love the rocks and foliage, and the title is WOW! :D

Jamie

Deborah Secor
09-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Wonderful improvement in the reflection, Sandy!! :D This is really a beautiful painting.

Deborah

Dark_Shades
09-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Excellent Sandy....... ..... I can see he's beak now..... alls well in the world :) ..... and the diet worked too...... he's reflection has shrunk :D

.....Great job..... well done

dexonsbabe
09-20-2004, 05:43 PM
very nice :clap:

meowmeow
09-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks all!

So....I guess that is the secret to losing weight...eliminate your mouth for a while! :D

Khadres
09-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Sooz jots that dieting hint down quickly....NO MOUTH! Sounds logical to me!

Great painting! You're really makin' hay up there with your extra time! Good for you!

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 06:17 PM
:clap: yeah you!!!

angecald
09-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Sandy, I just want to say I love this. It's a real beauty!