PDA

View Full Version : Rahab the Harlot WIP

quinacridonemagenta
09-19-2004, 08:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/43464-DCP_0002.JPG

i can use any feedback i can get. this painting is getting much more involved than it was originally intended. frustrating. the butterfly is MY image. its in most everything i do and represents a transformation/metamorphosis in the story of the painting. so the butterfly stays. the woman is Rabab from the bible (chapter two in Joshua....the painting is about her acting courageously on a belief that differed from anything else she'd ever known........something very difficult to do).

obviously i was thinking of Michelangelo's renderings of the biblical characters as i got her in there. in real life, you can tell her left hand is grasping onto the butterfly wing, as if transcending from one plane into the other, the other hand will be dropping a flax blossom (not in there yet).

i don't know what to do to make her more "readable". i think its too difficult. her hair is a mess, but there are things about it i like.

you know how sometimes you have to give up something good in a painting to get something better. i'm looking for suggestions. .....because right now i'm close to putting her out on the curb with all the other Ivan cleanup. (yes, we got hit by a hurricane this week).
i'm going to try to add in the second post the original "pour" from this painting so you can see where she's come from.....and probably where i should have left her alone.

quinacridonemagenta
09-19-2004, 08:08 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/43464-DCP_0001.JPG
i'm adding in this post the original "pour" from this painting so you can see where she's come from.....and probably where i should have left her alone. i've been asked many times about my process: i start with the canvas horizontally and pour very liquid paint onto it in layers....normally saturating it front and back with the garden hose first. i allow those layers to dry and then stand the painting upright to see what has emerged where. this image is NOT the original first pour, but several layers up and already has most of the defining marks. i miss its beauty. sometimes i wish i would leave them alone at this stage, but there were things that i didn't like.....and then i got in an arguement with my husband, which changes my mood way drastically and thus affects my painting style.....and then the hurricane......and now what? she WAS exquisite, but then i cluttered her (the red rope and a failed attempt at a background window). isn't painting fun? :(

BeeCeeEss
09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
I love the colors and imagery in this painting. It's rather complex and takes some careful study to take it all in, especially when scrolling it up and down on a computer screen. I like the second image and what you've done with it very much.

Beverly

Eileenjm
09-20-2004, 02:48 AM
I too like the second image. Interesting style. :clap: :clap:

Eileen

quinacridonemagenta
09-20-2004, 11:12 AM
thank you for the feedback. i forgot to mention that this is a crosspost from the open critique forum. she's gone through a lot of changes since i started it about two and half weeks ago.

i wish you could see it in person because the details just don't show up.

this, i think, is close to the final version. please give me a thumbs up or down.

i'm concerned about the upper right hand corner where i was going to paint the title (as i did in Bastille on my webpage)....Rahab: with the hebrew text for knowledge; belief and courage.

any feedback?

champagneharley
09-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Congratulations on a most interesting work that is well done.
Regards,
Jillian