PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 9/19 Show and share...

Norma623
09-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Opened up WC and can't believe I'm the first one this morning....so I'll be a teeny bit of a thread hog! :evil:

The first transparent red based tab - silver foil with frit, then encased, then I got a little funky and tried to do a sort of faux leopard spot over pink dichro (to match something I saw in Vogue while sitting in an airport!), third is a set of tiger-like tabs... and finally an aqua bead with a dichroic core - silver foil, then frit, then encased, then silvered stringer with a twist. They're all on Ebay! Have a GREAT Sunday!

Onalee
09-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Great beads Norma, Love the pink dichro one.
Here is another set of mine. I know I need to get a better background. Will work on that. Onalee

Norma623
09-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Great set Onalee - is that raku frit? I'm still FRITLESS (drool!)

kellyvgirl
09-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Kelly and I've been visiting this site for some time now. I finally thought I'd join in.

I've been making beads for about 7 years now. I also do fused/slumped glass ranging from small cabs on up to large wall-hangings. I occasionally dabble in stained glass. Beads are my absolute favorite. They are small works of art that can be easily displayed any time you wish as part of your attire. They also store nicely in a drawer or jewelry box--unlike large glass wall-hangings.

I also work full time and have family to keep me busy. So, you will only occassionally hear from me.

If the attachments work, you will see a set of beads made with Moretti glass. They are orange, yellow and green beads covered in clear with white dots on top. They are shaped into triangles.

Norma623
09-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Welcome Kelly! Sounds like you've been at this awhile - now let's get your pix online! The trick is to reduce the pictures to about a 250 x 300 size - I save mine in GIF format.... but I think it will convert from JPG format. It's a pain to resize - but once you get into the habit of doing it with all your pictures, it gets easier. Good luck!!

kellyvgirl
09-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks... Let's see if it works now.

KellyD
09-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Norma and Onalee- Beautiful organics today!
Here's mine for today, Halloween Party Beads. There is a bear dressed as a skeleton, a cat with a bag over his head, and a little cat wearing a mask, ghosts, pumkins, cupcakes, a bowl of candy corn, and a couple of big candy corn pieces.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Kelly

KellyD
09-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Kellyvgirl- oops, I missed your post. Very nice, and nice to meet you too! Thanks for sharing.
Kelly

Norma623
09-19-2004, 09:43 AM
WOOHOO! Way to go KellyV! Great bead set! Hope to see lots more of your work! PS....we're both from Michigan I see!

Kelly D - LOVE the set! Especially the cupcakes - such patience you must have!

cindy in madison
09-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Good morning everyone!

Haven't been at the torch much the last couple of days, grrrrrr! So I'm preparing to turn the little baby on in a few moments. Preparing for me means: checking - ebay, wet canvas, the bead hide, andale, corina's page, and ebay again; drinking most of a mountain dew; turning some music up real loud (typically Janice Joplin, or The Rolling Stones Greatest Women of Rock and the ocassional Ani diFranco) then goin' at it! Wooo HOOO!

Anyway...
Norma - I looked at your beads in the order of the thumbnails here's what I saw
1. Falling leaves in early autumn
2. A Coral Reef
3. Very specifically Oak leaves falling in the autumn
4. A sweet country path
Great job, they are so abstract with alot of detail!

Kelly - these are SOOOO cute I love the trick or treaters and thanks, now I remembered Candy corn is coming soon, mmmmmm!

Onalee - These look like really intracate beads, unfortunately I can't really see them because like you said the background is too busy, sorry.

Happy Beading!
Cindy in Madison :wave:

cindy in madison
09-19-2004, 10:26 AM
that bead HIVE! :o

Amozoo
09-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Norma, your pictures are a great way to start the day- youre a good photographer of beads! nice beads.
Onalee, love that fab purple
KellyVgirl I'd love to see your wall hangings. sweet bead set. Welcome to the gang
Kelly D love your sculptures! especially the mouse in the costume. too cute
Here's two sets, one inspired by Gina's opening set yesterday
and one inspired by Harriet aka kybeadmaker who has been a long time ispiration for me

koregon
09-19-2004, 11:01 AM
wow you guys...Amoret...yummy! those are gorgeous...the second set is just asking to be made into something to be taken on vacation to some warm sunshine fun place!

Norma, gorgeous focals!!

Kelly...your halloween set is wonderful....I love to see your sets like these....you do such great little fun beads!

Onalee...beautiful!
and Kelly again...those are cool...what shape are those? with the dots its hard to tell..they look almost cube at first but then look three sided when I glance again.

here are couple raku powder sets...love the stuff...it is so different depending on the core color.

Toni Lutman
09-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Good morning everyone. Wonderful pieces today.

Norma - Beautiful! I still manage to fry all the dichro I try.
Onalee - I love! the focal
Kelly - Great triangles! Welcome to WC!
Kelly - That set is adorable. I love the cat in the mask!
Amoret - Beautiful lentils!
Kaye - Those are wonderful. I need to try the raku powder!

Here are a couple from me. Gaffer and maybe some U96. And lots of frit.

Toni

Jennifree
09-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Beautiful beads this morning!

Amoret, that blue set. Wow!

snootyvixen
09-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Gotta ..... have ... some .... R-A-K-U frittttttt!!!!!!!

OK - I've been working on some "pen" beads for a customer - here's the latest 5 that jumped out of the kiln

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/14836-b040919_5pens_1.jpg

These are absolutely the HUGEST beads I've ever made! I usually work on a 1/16 mandrel and these are made on a 1/8, and they're all about 2 1/4" long. I've learned so much about Jim Smircich's much-touted "heat insurance"!

Vikki

Becky Mason
09-19-2004, 11:32 AM
KellyD - Your Holloween sculpturals are just adorable - and so original

Kaye - Wow girl, you have figured out how to make that Raku Jitterbug DANCE!!!

Here is my contribution for today. A set of heavily encased beads. Don't remember exactly what the core is, but I know there is a base of opaque sky blue, some silver, some frit (don't know what kind), and some rubino. I actually made these earlier in the summer, but decided to wait until fall to list them on the Bay. They go on tonight.

Becky

Becky Mason
09-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Vikki - you must have posted while I was typing my posting. LOVE the center bead. The colors are just so wonderful together. They are all nice, but that center one just jumped out at me.

Becky

snootyvixen
09-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Vikki - you must have posted while I was typing my posting. LOVE the center bead. The colors are just so wonderful together. They are all nice, but that center one just jumped out at me.

Becky

Thanks Becky! That's the one my MIL likes best too ... it's Spectrum - I guess I forgot the "tell" part! LOL!

Vikki

Linnea
09-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Great stuff today, Vikki I love the LONG beads they rock.
Here are mine. I am off to play with frit today.

lepoppet
09-19-2004, 12:17 PM
My new favorite color combination! Golden Autumn

Maria

GinnyHampton
09-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Great goodies today!! Gotta say I love Vikki's bicone beads . .. especially the last on the right :) YUMMY!!!!

Here's my latest, first a froggie bead necklace and matching earrings:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/16244-DSCN3871.JPG

And a big honkin' floral bead!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/16244-DSCN3863.JPG

Lara
09-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Wow, lots of pretties today.

Kaye I have to say your Raku beads are consistantly the prettiest. I just got some of that frit and have a long way to go to get the colors like you are getting. YUMMERS.

Today I have an ivory and black bicone with silvered accents.

Joensey
09-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Lara, love that bicone. Yumm.
KellyD..Impressive detail. I made DH come and look.
A coupla fallish sets from me, really need to start on Christmas. I work in retail, so I'm always several months ahead of where everyone else is. I just ordered Spring flowers at work this week!
Lentil punkins and fall oranges. Orange, two shades of coral and red. Moretti.
Jeanne

kybeadmaker
09-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I love to come here to get my daily dose of inspiration !!!! I am finally getting the hang of Val's raku frit..I think. I love the colors on these beads. I used a variety of base colors in the purple family and then raku.
Harriet

beadsbygayle
09-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new member of Wet Canvas, although I have been reading the forum for quite some time. This is my first posting to show and tell...I hope that I am able to attach a picture correctly.

Gayle
Beadsbygayle

Becky Mason
09-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey Gayle :wave: Your beads look great. I'm so glad that you decided to post these in the Show & Tell. They are very unique and so shiny.

For everyone else reading, Gayle is a very good friend of mine and a wonderful bead artist. She was one of my first lampwork students and is a real natural. Of course I'm not the leat bit biased. :D All of my students are wonderful artists. REALLY.

Glad to see you posting and hope to see you around more actively.

I'm working on a couple of custom orders for Vicki. Can't wait til next Sunday for our Orlando Glass Dragons party at Lori Robbin's house. I've gotten a lot of emails from people saying they are coming. Should be loads of fun.

See ya! Back to the torch.

Becky

KellyD
09-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi Gayle,

Welcome! Beautiful beads!!!!!!!!!
Kelly

Jennifree
09-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Welcome, Gayle! Lovely beads!

Harriet, oooh ahhh. I have a weakness for purple anyway, but those are especially nice.

Ginny, I love your froggy necklace too.

snootyvixen
09-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I had a PM about Smircich's use of "heat insurance" so I thought it might be a good idea to explain myself here! Of course, when I went googling for it, turns out that the correct term is "insurance heat" :o

You can read about it in this JS tutorial (http://www.smircich.com/html/giant_bead.html)

Vikki
(feeing silly now ...)

BeadBraker
09-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Great show everyone!

Hi Gayle! Hope you add a "tell" part to the beautiful beads you are showing! They are way fab. I love your ebay stuff too!

Nancy B in IL

GinaJ
09-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Welcome Gayle, your beads are beautiful...........hmmm, come to think of it, everyone's beads were beautiful! Harriet, those are AWESOME!

koregon
09-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new member of Wet Canvas, although I have been reading the forum for quite some time. This is my first posting to show and tell...I hope that I am able to attach a picture correctly.

Gayle
Beadsbygayle
Very Pretty Gayle...Copper Green and Reduction Frit??? I love this como! you did a great job on the reduction...shiny and pretty/earthy all in one...lovely

dread
09-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Just got back from 3 days with Doug Remschneider !!!!! IT WAS GREAT
BORO BORO BORO !!!!
I made a haul of beads and saw some fantastic demos and made loads of beads and cane and learned so much about boro (I learned I want a bigger torch ) But for now I'll stick with my minor till I move to an oxy friendly house

So showing my beads I made on a minor with oxygen/propane - so it can be done and mine were not the best of the bunch but you will see some color I was able to get - I'll do better at home

Alos another Witch Fat Cat

tulips
09-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Bead hive? What am I missing? Another website? A magazine?

cindy in madison
09-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Krista-
The bead hive is a "group" a bit like this, but much smaller scale and ebay sponsors it in some way. Try ebay, community, people, the bead hive. Lots of good information for bead makers and jewelry makers. I'm not sure if you have to get "invited" to check it out, if so let me know and I will have a moderator invite you.

Cindy

beadsbygayle
09-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and your kind words about my chrome beads! You are right Kaye, the beads were made using a base of copper green decorated with reduction frit stringer. (You can use either silver blue or silver green reduction frit pulled into a stringer to achieve the chrome look.) Once I melted in the design, I pressed into a lentil and then turned my oxygen down and waived the bead in and out of the flame until the reduction stringer turned into the chrome look. It took some practice for me to determine just the right mix of oxygen and propane as well as how long to hold the bead in the flame. Nancy if you have any additional questions, please email me and I will be glad to help. Have you had an opportunity to work with the Bullseye glass yet?

Thanks Becky for your introduction! I am looking forward to our meeting on Sunday and can't wait to meet all of the new members.

Gayle

tulips
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Cindy, thanks! I went to the site and logged in and put in a request to join the group so I guess I'll see what happens! Thanks!