PDA

View Full Version : Show & Tell Sunday - 09/19

Barrie
09-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Saturday's show & tell was awesome you guys!! Way to go everyone!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Here's a custom ring I've been working on for a while - customer's diamonds (what to do when you get a divorce and get to keep the ring! :evil: , 14K and sterling. I think it looks pretty cool. I told her it's no longer a wedding ring, it's now her divorce ring! (Bring on the party! LOL!) She loved it so much, she's ordered another, but sticks & stones (of course! LOL!) in solid 14K - my choice of stones! I'll show you guys when it's done!!!
I'll be back later to check out what you guys have been up to! Have a fun day!

Andee
09-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Barry - wow, what a stunning ring! Of course she loved it, how could she not? :clap: One question: do you drill holes in the ring underneath the diamonds, so that they get more light, or is it a closed setting?

Not sure there will be anything from me today, actually I'm planning on watching all three LOTR movies today which won't leave any time for anything else... :D

Andee
09-19-2004, 06:40 AM
I couldn't stand the thought of not doing at least ONE piece today, so here's a necklace with pink Indian glass cubes, Swarowskis and seed beads:

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Barrie,
Your ring design is gorgeous!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!--------Mona

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 08:07 AM
I couldn't stand the thought of not doing at least ONE piece today, so here's a necklace with pink Indian glass cubes, Swarowskis and seed beads:

Andee, Your pink glass cube necklace is lovely! I love deep pinks!---Mona

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Hello Everyone!
As I am fairly new, you are just beginning to get to know me. I dabble here, dabble there, and the fact is...there is pretty much nothing I won't try. I enjoy many forms of creative outlet! Lampworking, seed beading, knitting, just about anything that attracts my eye for color, dimension, and texture! Needless to say, I am a very busy lady! I have shared some of my lampwork and some of my seed beaded design work, and now would like to share another form of wearable art! A few knitted stoles(wraps, scarves,whatever your prefer to call them) Super long and wider than an average scarf! Wishing everyone a wonderful day! -----Mona

tamjai
09-19-2004, 08:59 AM
mona the scarf in the centre, the turquoise one, has my name on it! those look soooo luxe and welcome to the gang! :D
barrie - great ring, i'm not surprised that she loved it
andee - how is it that you can take simple cubes and make them look like they should be from Tiffanys????????

i've caught the seed bead bug......i still haven't figured out how to end off peyote nicely so i have switched to square stitch. there are three more bracelets under contruction right now. Juls said something about an army wife having time on her hands, i think i now understand! :D
the second is a simple choker with fringe and the first has fw pearls and my bead for the toggle
tam

Andee
09-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Mona - wow, great scarves, they look absolutely comfy and snugglable!! :clap:

Tam - soz dear, you got that wrong, can't you see that it clearly says Andee on the turquoise scarf? ;) And thanks, you are really flattering me! :) Lovely pieces you have to show today, I would say the black/brown one is also calling my name, but that can't be coz I don't wear chokers! I'll settle for the bracelet instead, yummy! ;)

McDuck
09-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Barrie - beautiful!

Andee - love that color!

Mona - you definatley are a talent! What fun scarves!

Tam - just popped either of those in the mail to me :evil:

I need to go look in the kiln, a custom order or two down there.

-Mary

beclectic
09-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Barrie - beautiful ring. Very nice idea for something that says I am not a wedding or engagement ring. Looks very elegant and somewhat industrial for some reason.

Andee - for not making a piece of jewelry today I'd say you turned out a really nice one. I like that deep pink color.

Mona - I like all your scarf/stoles and the jewelry you are showing them with. Even though purple, blue and red are at the top of my list of colors the turquoise one caught my eye as well. I don't know what makes it more special than the rest but it is.

Tam - both great pieces. That choker is a real eye catcher and I bet it looks fantastic on. The little fringy edges really make that piece.

McDuck - OK lets see what came out of your kiln today, you know you want to show us.

I've got to take a picture of a pair of earrings I just finished and I'll put it in here. Be right back.

I'm back. Here is the pic.

McDuck
09-19-2004, 11:05 AM
:o Barabara shush! you are embarraing me.

I already told you I had something to show...but gotta get it outa the kiln, photo it, image it up, and post...and shower, bead show to go to today wiht my gf Judit.

a new type of flower, another daisy pendant, custom order froggies and lizard, a red MOP flower set and my first goddess for the chunky woman :rolleyes: (she is hand formed and actually has a flower imprint on her, but you cant make it out under the celadon crackle glaze) :rolleyes: . yes and I forgot the nipples Okay???? It was late...and I was tired *insert whiney icon here*

btw barbara i like those earrings. Nicely made and look fun to wear!

-Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/18183-Lizzyorder1WC.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/18183-froggyorder1aWC.jpg

Andee
09-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Barbara and Mary! :)

Barbara - it's so good to see some of your work again! I love those earrings, and especially the cube beads you used!

Mary - wow, busy gal! More cute froggies, but this time the red flower set really caught my eye, that colour pops!

BBsBaubles
09-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Today's S&T is rocking already! Too many to mention but:

Barrie - That's a great story to go with an equally awesome ring!
Andee - I'm so impressed with how quickly you can put something together (I'd love to see your bead stash).
Mona - The stoles are top notch. I could see any one of those on my shoulders!

Great job everybody! :clap: :clap: :clap:

carebear
09-19-2004, 12:11 PM
morning all...

this is what I get for sleeping in....everybody's already here! what a bunch of goodies I get to look at! :clap:

barrie, GORGEOUS ring...I bet it really sparkles too..

andee...really pretty! I made a bracelet somewhat similar..those cubes really sparkle don't they! love it!

mona..the bottom scarf is my favorite..I love all the colors in it!

tam, love the bracelet! that focal bead sets it off just pefectly..(I like the choker too, but don't want to get into a cat fight with the other ladies) :evil:

barbara...beautiful earrings...is that copper? I bet they really swing nice when they're on..

mary..just don't have enough good words to say about your stuff....gorgeous? wonderful? fun?...all of those and more!

ok..here's some stuff from me...apologies about the horrid scanning again! the top one is a black and silver 2 layered necklace, the second is green swarovski and silver bugles and the third is my wal mart necklace...:p , just a bunch of cheap wally world beads interspersed with some fancier beads..makes a great necklace for about $3...(I like to practice with the cheap stuff before moving on to the expensive stuff!)

carrie

TheBlueBetween
09-19-2004, 12:14 PM
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS S&T TODAY!!!!!!!

I love everything and want one of each. Especially that teal scarf with the lime green and fushia. I think it might go great with Andee's necklace. And Tam - great work on those bracelets! They look so fun to make - I really need to pull my seed beads out again. But oh, I want to go melt some glass. Not enough time in the day :crying:

Goodness!

And Barbara - a show and tell from you! Great earrings!!! What is that black wire???

Great use of bad karma diamonds Barrie - they look so fresh and ready for some completely new and daring life.

And those lizards are just too cute - I might NEED one of them!

Wow - I wish I had something to contribute!

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Mary,

Your lizards, torso, and florals are fabulous! If I may ask, how did you achieve that wonderful antique crackle finish on your torso! I have never seen this finished achieved on a torso before. It adds such a wonderful aged sense of presence!

Barbara,
Your earrings are lovely and very playful! Did you make the ear wires for those!
I love the contrast and playful elegance!

Beth,
Thank you very much for the compliment on my knitted stoles! They are so fluffy and luxurious, warm-but not smothering. I keep some for myself and enjoy the big eyed admiration I get from my frothy extravagant combination of yarns! :cat:

Tam,
Thank you for the compliment on the knitted stoles! I love your beaded bracelet and necklace! I have been wanting to try some work like that but I am a bit intimidated by all of the technical terms that are new to me like peyote stitch, brick stitch, ect....and the patterns....oh my!!!! They are wonderful!

Mona

Mona Designs
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/monadesigns

Barrie
09-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Barry - wow, what a stunning ring! Of course she loved it, how could she not? :clap: One question: do you drill holes in the ring underneath the diamonds, so that they get more light, or is it a closed setting?

They're closed settings. It's actually a fallacy that cut stones need holes underneath for light. When you think about it, your finger is right under the ring, no light gets in between, so what's the point?!? Seriously, the main reason many jeweler's put a hole under the stone is to enhance poorly cut stones. In a properly cut gemstone, light enters the stone from the top, reflects off all the facets on the bottom, then exits back out the top - much like a mirror effect. When a stone is poorly, or not as well cut, you need to allow extra light to enter the stone to give it more brilliance - which doesn't work so well, when the hole leads to a finger! My biggest pet peeve about holes under stones is that after a few years of wear, the hole gets filled with finger oil, hand lotion, etc, and is really hard to clean out, especially with stones that can't be ultrasonically cleaned. Yuck!! I've repaired way too many gross things over the years! LOL!

Andee
09-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Beth - your wish is my command ;), although my bead stash really isn't that exciting. It's really sort of an assorted chaos, and most of my stash is small beads... I store my beads in little ziploc bags stored in small containers - on the pic you see my blues (biggest container) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/29310-wc_stash_blues.jpg

and greens
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/29310-wc_stash_greens.jpg

as well as my very meagre lampwork box (sorry bad quality pic)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/29310-wc_stash_lampwork.jpg

Each project involves some time going through all those boxes and bags until I've found what I'm looking for... :rolleyes:

Andee
09-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Carrie - nice work, my fave (quelle surprise ;) ) is the teal/green necklace!

Barrie - thanks for that, yeah, you've got a point there... More than one, actually. I was just wondering coz you see it quite often that stones are set in an open setting, but what you said makes perfect sense! :)

BlindCaveFish
09-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Wow! there's so much on display today I'm blown away!

Andee...I am very envious of your stash, mine would still fit into a shoebox, I have a long way to go
Mary...I've been drooling over your lizards and frogs ever since you started posted them. I'm adopting a gecko this week, and can't decide what to name him, but that tell s you how much I love reptiles.
Tam...I sure do miss seeing your stuff before it gets posted. I love the bracelet!
Barrie, I like the idea of a divorce ring, I'm going to ask my sister if she's kept any rings from previous marrages, if so you may be getting a call ;)
Mona...I live fuzzy scarfs, I hear Calgary has cold winters so I may need one too
Barbara...are the ear wires copper in those earrings? I had no idea you could put copper thru your ears
Carrie... I love the double stranded necklace, but dang I wish I could see it better! I totally understand though, my scanner is actually poor at scanning documents but good at scanning jewellery. Go figure! I di have to do a LOT of adjusting and cloning on photoshop to make it look somewhat presentable

This is my contribution, I made it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have internet at the time. It's a bit strange, but I like it!

sassybird
09-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Barrie, I love abstract in rings. I had one in gold years ago that got stolen from me, and I have never found another one that I liked as much.

Andee, that red is gorgeous with those crystals. From your pictures of all your seed beads I can see why you won't need any for awhile.

Mona, those are some awesome scarves. Where I live scarves are a must during the winter.

Tam, that choker is my fav. What kind of beads did you use?

Barbara, very cool earrings. I love the wire work.

Mary, that lizard is so cool. I love lizards.

Carrie, You necklaces are cool. I never thought of doing them that way.

BlindCaveFish, Welcome to WC! and the Wearables forum. That is a very interesting bracelet.

beclectic
09-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the compliments about my earrings. The earrings are made from craft wire 20g which is copper with a black enamel coating. The coating makes it possible to put the earwires through your ears and the enamel is not an allergen from most people. I made the earwires and the little springs. The earwire has a longer straight part for the bead to fit on. That faceted bead is a firepolished lampworked bead with an AB coating, I bought them at the LBS. It is a clear glass over gold foil I think. The barrel is 1/4" long.

Carrie - I think the green and silver is my fav. but they are all pretty. The amber, brown one made with WalMart beads is very pretty. It doesn't matter where you get your beads or how expensive they are. If they are not chiped and broken and fulfill your design then they are good for what you used them for. Not every buyer can afford a designer original and unique piece made with the best most expensive and perfect beads. It really depends on what market you are aiming at. The main thing you want to watch for is beads with cracks and chips which will ruin your design when they fail. Also you want to be careful of base metals that deterioate with age.

Mary - Great stuff. Love the lizard and frog. I especially like that reddish glaze on the frog. Your goddess torso is very nice. It looks like an archelogical fragment. Of course the lack of nipples is a little odd but OK. I don't think the Willendorf Goddess has nips, does it?

Hollie - I like the way you used the chain to weave around on the bracelet. I think a little space between the larger elements would make each stone stand out more. Perhaps some small silver beads between or some more of those seed beads. I like the clasp, wish I could see it better.

Andee - fun stash. Maybe some time we can have a stash thread and we can compare hoards.

BBsBaubles
09-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Andee,
You sure know how to make a girl drool! Thanks so much for sharing...it was great to see your bead stash! :wave:

McDuck
09-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Carrie you have been busy! yeah! :clap:

Holly, i like how you used thechain in that bracelet.

Andee, you need more beads girl!

-mary

ps the glaze on the goddess is celadon crackle glaze. it is made todo that. :wink2:

carebear
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
hollie...I like the chain idea! might have to give that one a "go" myself!

i think a bead stash thread would be a blast...mine is mostly all in one spot - the living room...lol....so far hubby hasn't complained, but I do try to keep them all in boxes, in the end tables, and on the coffee table...(and occasionally draped around one of our 6 cats, but that's another story)

excellent work posted today..I love it!

Mary Riggs
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
During my lurking, I haven't found a Show and Tell so diverse! WOWSER!

Barrie, that ring is a masterpiece and so original!

Andee, your necklace is very classy and elegant. It appears to be various shades of pink to cranberry. Delicious!

Mona, your scarves are cool (?) !!! I have something similar I got last winter and used them as jewelry. Beautiful color combinations!!! (The bought ones are not nearly as snazzy as yours, by the way.)

tam, your bracelet and choker are dreamy. The color combinations on the choker along with the picot edging makes it a work of art to my eyes.

Barbara, those earrings are just plain COOL! Your wire work is excellent and your design is right on the money, honey!

Mary Mc, the 'salamander' is my favorite. Your work is always A+ and with a bit of whimsy to boot.

Carrie, all of your necklaces are beautiful and with great design and color combinations.

Hollie, your (what appears to be) amethyst and silver chain bracelet is stunning. Love the texture you achieved with the chain interwoven like that.

Me? Nada today. Just got in from cutting down and/or pruning up trees on the property and am currently too pooped to pop or bead or do much of anything else except surf and lurk.

Amazing array of goodies from all of you :clap:

Andee
09-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Andee, you need more beads girl!

Mary, LOL, you don't think that those pics showed my WHOLE stash? ;) These were just 3 boxes out of 14 or so, I only picked some so you'd see the chaos! But I agree, I need more beads! *greedy* :D

Andee
09-20-2004, 04:24 AM
Andee - fun stash. Maybe some time we can have a stash thread and we can compare hoards.

Barbara - yeah, that would be fun (and mouthwatering, for sure! ;) )

Andee,
You sure know how to make a girl drool! Thanks so much for sharing...it was great to see your bead stash! :wave:

Beth - welcome, but I wonder how much you'd drool if you saw the whole thing...? That probably wouldn't be healthy as it could lead to serious dehydration, so I best not make a pic of it... ;)

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 06:36 AM
BIG WOW to all. :clap:

Bead stash... Andee I thought I was bad, but you go far beyond me :wink2:

I guess I will have to stay put to catch up with your bead stash :evil: Guess it won't be difficcult after I get over the spend for the heating oil for the winter :)

Cheers!