PDA

View Full Version : What yellow would you use for this? Romantic.

Sophia757
09-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I don't know which neighborhood I should be putting this in, but I figured if I SHOW you, maybe you'll Tell me ... good, eh? Not technical and not lobby, i don't think.

My dear friend who I've known for more than 25 years is getting married. It's so romantic. Her husband to be saw this exact dress in a dream, said she was going to marry him in this dress. She felt kinda like yeah, right :rolleyes: and three years later they were wandering through a country store in Vermont and he said, "That's the Dress!!!" Only one there and it fit like it was made for her. And she said, yes I will marry you. Awwwww.

This will be her wedding dress and she wants me to make her a necklace. So - I have some thoughts on the shades of colors I want to use for the focal, but yellow is such a tricky beast in glass & I would love to hear some input and suggestions? This is a very special project.

thanks!

JoyceMI
09-18-2004, 09:39 PM
oooh how romantic! Gives you goosebumps!

My guess would be opal yellow possibly. Make sure you post them when done, would love to see the finished work.

AlaskaBarb
09-18-2004, 09:45 PM
What a lovely story.

It would be hard to recommend a particular yellow based on the colors each of us see on our monitors. On mine, it looks like there are hints of apricot or something in there.

I was costumer for years, and sometimes we'd be faced with having to accessorize a fabric color that was unique -- in other words, there wasn't anything that really matched it perfectly -- or sometimes, at all.

You might want try to incorporate other colors, like the grey-green leaf color and just a smattering of yellow. If possible, ask to borrow the dress, so you can use it as a referral for mixing your colors, and also to check your progress against it.

There are some master color mixers here on the forum, and I'm sure they'll have some good ideas as to specific colors to try.

Keep us posted!
B

Red*Dog*Designs
09-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Opal yellow with a dusting of peachy enamel maybe ?

GinaJ
09-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Oh, I think Opal Yellow. Here's a bracelet made by WC's Beth of BB's Baubles, using beads made with an opal yellow base:

LadyArowana
09-18-2004, 10:01 PM
What a nice romantic story ! Definately a "happy ever after" ending I'm sure.
Anyway on the bead question. I think I would probably not start with the focal, but choose something pearly that looks good on her skin for the necklace part and then let that and the dress colours guide choices for the focal. I am sure she will want to wear it with other outfits too, so worth considering what colours she usually wears. It will be very special I'm sure. Fiona

bjcohan
09-19-2004, 01:37 AM
It doesn't have to be all lampwork.

I would get a strand or two of creamy pale yellow or dark ivory pearls (you need the dress in hand to get a good match). Then I would do a series of lampwork beads using -- again depending on what that color REALLY looks like in person -- opal yellow decorated with subtle and wispy stems and leaves of lauscha olive (or olive transparent frit pulled into stringer).

You really don't even need a focal. String them with a length - maybe 2" or so - of the pearls, then a small gold rondell, an olivene crystal, the lampwork bead, another crystal, another gold rondell, and repeat all around the necklace. You could do several strands of these with the stations of the lampwork-gold-crystal all around, and it would be stunning. A pair of matching earrings and you're good to go.

Wedding-y enough, but usable day to day afterwards, too. What a great story! May they live happily ever after.

Barb:cat:

Josie
09-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Opal yellow or straw yellow or both. Etched would be even better.
Tracey

kasijo
09-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Etched chardonnay?

Onalee
09-19-2004, 07:58 AM
How about picking up the green and decorating with yellow, then it wouldn't be directly next to the fabric and would make a nice contrast. Onalee

Anne Londez
09-19-2004, 08:33 AM
You can get pale yellows by overlaying light amber over white. It's lighter than the opaque yellows.

Listenup
09-19-2004, 09:28 AM
What a beautiful story - thanks for sharing.

You may find a shade of yellow that's close to what you're looking for in the color mxing chart (http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/mix%20chart/color%20chart.htm)

It's difficult to say exactly what yellow mix would work, because each batch of yellow is different so your results may vary from mine. I would start with a mix and do any final color-tuning by mixing in an enamel. Unfortunately, that would be a pain in the --- for a whole necklace.

I'm also working on a Pearl-Ex Powder (http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm) chart, and some of the colors react with white Effetre by turning it a bit yellow, so you may find a match there. I'm going to be re-doing all of the pix on that page either later today or tomorrow (been waiting for the sun to come out here - supposed to today) so I can take the pix and include the powders on clear beads.

I do wish the happy couple all the love I've had in the wonderful 20 years I've been married, and I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something that goes wonderfully with the dress. Please be sure to show us your results.

-Kay

Sophia757
09-19-2004, 11:44 AM
This is really close to what I was thinking, although I don't have pearls. I thought I'd make a small focal a la Smircich with opal yellow encased in light amber then periwinkle over white dots dragged, with wispy (whispy?) Lauscha Olive tendrils. I thought along your lines about making several strands of delicate beads & crystals interspersed with gold rondells!

Thanks all of you for the suggestions! I'm going to experiment and I'll show you what I come up with. I'm kind of "cosmic", I always put a prayer for the wearer and her family in each bead and link while I'm making a piece. For peace, for joy, for strength, for awareness of beauty - you get the picture. This one will be especially poignant.

It doesn't have to be all lampwork.

I would get a strand or two of creamy pale yellow or dark ivory pearls (you need the dress in hand to get a good match). Then I would do a series of lampwork beads using -- again depending on what that color REALLY looks like in person -- opal yellow decorated with subtle and wispy stems and leaves of lauscha olive (or olive transparent frit pulled into stringer).

You really don't even need a focal. String them with a length - maybe 2" or so - of the pearls, then a small gold rondell, an olivene crystal, the lampwork bead, another crystal, another gold rondell, and repeat all around the necklace. You could do several strands of these with the stations of the lampwork-gold-crystal all around, and it would be stunning. A pair of matching earrings and you're good to go.

Wedding-y enough, but usable day to day afterwards, too. What a great story! May they live happily ever after.

Barb:cat:

Becky Mason
09-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Christy,

I'm attaching a photo of a set of beads that I made several months ago with opal yellow, Czech jonquil yellow (very pale transparent) and pale amethyst. The yellow in these looks like it would match perfectly. If you haven't seen the jonquil yellow, it is really beautiful. It is very very pale yellow. When you layer it over white it gives you the faintest yellow whiteheart.

Becky

Sophia757
09-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Christy,

I'm attaching a photo of a set of beads that I made several months ago with opal yellow, Czech jonquil yellow (very pale transparent) and pale amethyst. The yellow in these looks like it would match perfectly. If you haven't seen the jonquil yellow, it is really beautiful. It is very very pale yellow. When you layer it over white it gives you the faintest yellow whiteheart.

Becky

WOW Becky that color looks perfect! (Beautiful color combinations, btw!)Where does one get Jonquil yellow? I'm going to go google it. I thought of the gaffer, too, but I have so little of it I hate to mess around trying to match shades and then end up using it all up for naught.

Gorgeous!

Juls
09-20-2004, 03:08 AM
My vote is opal yellow casually touched with copper green and dusted in peach pixie.

hugs~
~Juls

Sophia757
10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Well, I got the necklace made and sent out. Now my fingers are crossed that she will LOVE it! I tried every yellow under the sun and the necklace ended up containing Gaffer, boro, Czech (jonquil yellow :wink2: ), bullseye, moretti... you name it, there's a bead in there! I got some small green pearls, 14k beads & hook and several colors of swarovskis. The finished length is 21" and it feels smooth and nice. I'm not sure I can fit the pics in this post, but I'll try. Thank you all for your help. :wave:

Sophia757
10-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Here's the necklace with the dress. Oh - and I made a bottle stopper for her husband-to-be out of jonquil yellow and raku frit.
:clap:

Bubbyanne
10-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Christy,
I pulled up the picture in your first post about the dress you're matching and compared it to the necklace you made. Beautiful job! I think it compliments her dress perfectly.
Good work.
Barb
P.S.-Lol you posted the pictures together while I was writing this post. Too funny. Oh and the stopper is very nice too. :D

Steffi
10-08-2004, 08:05 AM
That is one wonderful piece! I'm sure she will LOVE it!

Jamn!
10-08-2004, 12:35 PM
That is very pretty!!!! I am sure she will love it too!!!

DonnaBee
10-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes, what Barb said! (All the suggestions are really good though.)

What a lovely, lovely story and dress. :)

Sophia757
10-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks so much for all the nice comments. Re the last post? Yeah, unfortunately my desire and vision are far greater than my skills! Believe me, I tried wispy tendrils. Not a pretty sight! I tried a LOT of things!!Some day, maybe. Oh well, what I lack in skill I make up for in heart? :D