PDA

View Full Version : baby portrait

ShellyF
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Oh how time goes by :eek: I haven't had much time for the computer lately, dealing with a sick dog, looking for work, and getting the kids back to school, but whenever I get a chance I love to just take a peek at what everyone is doing. Some great stuff being posted!

Anyway, I have done a couple of portraits lately, one of which I am posting now. Will try to get a decent photo of the other and post later.

9x12 on canvas. Any and all comments and critiques welcome, although no changes can be made as it has already gone to it's owner! (She was very pleased, thank goodness)

dspinks
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
I would have been, too!!! Beautiful work!

Debra

Marty C
09-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi Shelly,
Beautiful work, you have captured a priceless expression. No wonder your client loved it.

jbitzel
09-18-2004, 09:43 PM
boy, shelly you make me sick :D it's like aspiring to be a pro chess player when you got shelly the robot showing you up. :D But, I always enjoy seeing your work. I know you paint in lots of layers, Ive been meaning to ask you some questions. First what brand of paint do you use and second do you mix with water or clear medium? If water do you ever have lifting problems? Thanks for continuing to contribute to the minds of the newbies :wave:

bjcpaints
09-19-2004, 10:46 AM
ShellyF,
Just beautiful - the coloring, the dewy softness of the skin - perfect!
Barbara

ShellyF
09-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Thank you so much Debra, Marty, James and Barbara :)

boy, shelly you make me sick :D it's like aspiring to be a pro chess player when you got shelly the robot showing you up. :D But, I always enjoy seeing your work. I know you paint in lots of layers, Ive been meaning to ask you some questions. First what brand of paint do you use and second do you mix with water or clear medium? If water do you ever have lifting problems? Thanks for continuing to contribute to the minds of the newbies :wave:

James, you are far too kind. Yes, I paint in lots and lots of layers, (never really counted, but there are lots LOL!) I use Liquitex High Viscosity paints, and I only mix them with water. I tried the liquitex Slo dri medium once and really didn't care for it. The water works just fine for me. My first layer(underpainting) is always done very wet, like water color I guess, then as I start applying colour, I use just a bit of water, and use very little paint on my brush. I don't have any lifting problems, maybe because my layers are so thin?? I am a bit more heavy handed at the beginning, but as the layers increase I use a very light touch with my brush (very limited paint on the brush) , barely grazing the surface. Probably a technique I have carried over from coloured pencils. I get better results if I let the layers dry in between, just to get a better idea of what the dried colour looks like.

Hope this helps, I know I am not the best at explaining things :o If you have any other questions just ask :)

Lady Carol
09-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Shelly, this is adorable. You really have captured the essence of a baby.

Bioartist
09-20-2004, 01:27 AM
This is a very beautiful painting. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Question (if only you wish :D ) what colours do you use????
Thanks for sharing.
Stacey

Eileenjm
09-20-2004, 02:37 AM
I have to agree with everyone this is beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

ShellyF
09-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks Carol, Stacey and Eileen :)

Stacey, I use an underpainting of burnt sienna and french ultramarine blue. Then I usually mix my colours from the following (I always start with a new mixture when I come back to work on it, so there is no exact recipe):

cad red medium or cad red light
yellow ochre or yellow naples
cobalt blue to tone the red/yellow mix down

sometimes I use a dab of burnt sienna, but I can't really remember if I did that here.

and this is mixed with varying degrees of white.

I usually use the cad red light/yellow naples mix when I want a bit of a brighter pinkier look, often found in baby skin. My layers are very thin, and there are many layers. With every new portrait, I start the experimenting all over again to find a mix that I am satisfied with (using pretty much all the same base colours)

jbitzel
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
speaking of liquitex HV, Blick has a good deal on the 6 color base set for 15$.

champagneharley
09-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Very well done.
Regards,
Jillian

lensman
09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
When I see the word 'portrait' in the thread title and your name as author I know I'm going to regret looking! Another great piece.

Now show us a WIP when you do the next one - please!

Glenn

ShellyF
09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
When I see the word 'portrait' in the thread title and your name as author I know I'm going to regret looking! Another great piece.

Now show us a WIP when you do the next one - please!

Glenn

:o Geesh, you are making me blush. Thanks Glenn :) I will try to do a wip progress for my next one, ( I did do one (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212189) a couple of weeks back if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, I don't think I am very good at explaining how I work, but hopefully you can get an idea.

Thanks Jillian :)

Lulu
09-22-2004, 05:22 AM
absolutely stunning work. Will certainly be watching for a wip.

jbitzel
09-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Is this the commission you talked about? I was wondering how much you charge for something like this. If you feel uncomfortable you can ignore me or pm me. :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
09-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Shelly, i really cannot imagine why your portraits amaze me any longer...I already know when I open the thread it will be a first rate lovely painting.
This is so lovely and really captures the sweetness and innocence of a new little life.

Why look for work Shelly?... You could make a living at this if you want to do that.

ShellyF
09-22-2004, 10:54 AM
:wave: Hi Lulu! OMG it's been a long time since I've "seen" you around :) Thanks for the compliments

James- check your PM's

Angie, you are so kind :) Wouldn't I love to make a living doing this! But I unfortunately have a big lack of nerve to get out there and promote myself, to find the right clientele that would be willing to pay for stuff like this *sigh*
Someday, though...

jbitzel
09-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks, for all the advice you give newbies like me. :wave:

lensman
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Wouldn't I love to make a living doing this! But I unfortunately have a big lack of nerve to get out there and promote myself, to find the right clientele that would be willing to pay for stuff like this *sigh*
Someday, though...

Oh, I wish I had your talent. I don't think I'm the only one here that thinks you could make a living out of this. Take the plunge. You don't have to start big and try and pull in a "paycheque" every week. Do it part time. I don't know much about you but you simply need to get the word out in a very modest way to start. If people are calling you based on other work they've seen then you know you are onto something. Charge them. If it's a relative or close friend you can do it gratis if you wish but make sure that they in turn tell any friends that you did it and are available for commissions at a reasonable rate! As you get more and more requests - and I'm sure you will - you can put your prices further up the scale.

It's one thing to paint for free if you enjoy it and are not financially concerned, but to see a talent like this 'wasted' is criminal!

So put on your Nikes and "Just Do It" :)

Glenn

jbitzel
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
friends and family are tough, because when they find out you do something like painting, they want one. It's real tough charging your family for more than materials. And every painting given away is not a big loss specifically but there is always the loss of money you could have made if you were on commision. I have only been getting back into painting for a couple of months now and I havent even tried selling one. First I have to fill up my walls then christmas presents and so on and so forth, maybe by the time that is all done I will be good enough to sell some. :D

ShellyF
09-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh, I wish I had your talent. I don't think I'm the only one here that thinks you could make a living out of this. Take the plunge. You don't have to start big and try and pull in a "paycheque" every week. Do it part time. I don't know much about you but you simply need to get the word out in a very modest way to start. If people are calling you based on other work they've seen then you know you are onto something. Charge them. If it's a relative or close friend you can do it gratis if you wish but make sure that they in turn tell any friends that you did it and are available for commissions at a reasonable rate! As you get more and more requests - and I'm sure you will - you can put your prices further up the scale.

It's one thing to paint for free if you enjoy it and are not financially concerned, but to see a talent like this 'wasted' is criminal!

So put on your Nikes and "Just Do It" :)

Glenn

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have been taking commissions (in graphite) for several years, and there have been times when it's been quite lucrative. But word of mouth eventually does fizzle out if you don't continue to promote yourself, which is my weakest point. I hate going in somewhere and saying "is it ok if I leave a few flyers here?" I hate imposing on people, but of course people won't know about me if I don't tell them... *sigh*. I am taking acrylic commissions, but people don't seem to want to pay the price. Everyone is all interested until it comes down to the nitty gritty... paying. I never do anything for someone for free at their request. I often use friends or family for practice and my portfolio, and I have no problem giving those away for free. I have a wonderfully generous family and friends, and in the end nothing is ever "free", they give back in their own ways at some point or another.

chandlerjr
09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Shelly,
So nice to see you post again. I love your portraits. This baby portrait is very nice. Personnally, I think doing baby portraits are extremely difficult. You have done a super job. Keep posting--love your work.
Larry C.

sassybird
09-23-2004, 12:17 AM
This is adorable. What a cute little boy, and you did such a wonderful job on this portrait. I would have been pleased also:)

ShellyF
09-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Shelly,
So nice to see you post again. I love your portraits. This baby portrait is very nice. Personnally, I think doing baby portraits are extremely difficult. You have done a super job. Keep posting--love your work.
Larry C.

:wave: Hi Larry! I wish I could post more often, but I practically have to schedule time on the computer as it is, with 3 other people in the house always wanting on LOL! Thanks for your comments :)

Thanks Charissa :)