PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Demo

CarlyHardy
09-18-2004, 06:10 PM
I painted this as a demo at the local Hobby Lobby on Wed. night to advertise my classes. One of my favorite subjects, the Toccoa River in North Georgia.

Full sheet of Art Spectrum and NuPastels only. The manager had ask me to focus on their brand for the demo :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/250-0915demoToccoaRiver7x5.jpg

I'm beginning to feel that my style is developing more too or maybe I'm getting sloppier :D

carly

Dark_Shades
09-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Ha! ....... sloppiness suits you :) ..... its delightful ...... is that some ink line drawing in there too ...... love the soft leafiness of it all... perhaps you could do a demo of this in here for us too.... or something similiar

CarlyHardy
09-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Dawn! No pen...just the rough layout of the rock formations with a dark nupastel. And I find that I don't really care if some of that still shows in the final painting. As long as it has an overall harmony.

carly

Dyin
09-18-2004, 06:50 PM
It's beautiful, Carly! Can't wait til you do an OP class landscape :D This really has a lot of color harmony going on, so it really pulls together the two different sides. :clap:

Pinecone Conniff
09-18-2004, 06:53 PM
I love your "sloppy" style!!...I am amazed that you did this entire piece with Nu-Pastels!...I'd be craving my soft softies... :eek:
Really beautiful work!...Did lots of people sign up for your class?
Annette

Paula Ford
09-18-2004, 06:55 PM
OH how beautiful Carly. The colors are wonderful and I love the rocks!!

Paula

K Taylor-Green
09-18-2004, 07:10 PM
What a great piece, Carly. Light, airy, and I love the rocks.

Khadres
09-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Beautiful stuff! Those Hobby Lobby folks really got the goods when they let you demo...I'd buy ANOTHER set of NuPastels, if I'd been there! :D

I've done a bit of work on Art Spectrum with Nupastels and Polychromos, both, and found that the gritty surface works really well with the hard pastels. They seem to show up more boldly on that surface.

About ten years ago, I had a short-lived oil landscape class at one of our Hobby Lobbys....short-lived because I could NOT convince the largely senior class to buy proper supplies and one by one they got disgusted with trying to paint 16X20 paintings on cheap canvas paper with #2 cheapo sable brushes and low quality paints. When the last two took off on vacation, I took off for good, too! :( And what IS it with some students who INSIST on buying, say, purple and lavendar and lime green and black and brown and THEN want to paint STRAWBERRIES and milk jugs?!?!?! I don't get it, but I seemed to get every last one of 'em in my class.

Good luck to you! Lovely painting!

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Carly, this is lovely! I don't think it is sloppy at all - and I do like those dark lines, they seem to pull it all together. Wonderful light in this and you seem to use colors that I've not used before. I like how the harder pastels work on sanded surfaces - gives me more control in detailed areas.

:clap:

bnoonan
09-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Not what I think of "sloppiness" that is...

I think of fabulously loose and rich and colorful and expressive.

Carly I've always admired the way you just capture the essence of light in all your outdoor work. It glows.

Barb

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
I agree with Barb..I hardly think of this as sloppiness.....I see the effects of an artist and her medium becoming as one ......As much as I appreciate your previous paintings, this new you is very appealing.

khourianya
09-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Absolutely stunning! I love how the light draws you right in. Makes me want to canoe further up...

jackiesimmonds
09-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Sloppy? Where exactly? I dont see sloppy, I see impressionistic, I see wonderful colour, I see beautiful atmosphere, I see CONFIDENCE in approach.

Lovely style. Mature, not sloppy.

Jackie

Dark_Shades
09-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Dawn! No pen...just the rough layout of the rock formations with a dark nupastel. And I find that I don't really care if some of that still shows in the final painting. As long as it has an overall harmony.

carly

No, I like it too .... thought it added to it :)