PDA

View Full Version : Listed at $1

CarlyHardy
10-24-2001, 12:13 AM
This may be a dangerous move but I decided to list some of my paintings at starting bids of $1!!! But the listing fee sure was cheap that way! 65 cents...but I also used a ten day auction and a gallery pic for that amount.

These are reworked paintings on canvas that I really want to sell so I can afford to sell them for less...although it would be nice to get a good price for them! I listed another AFA painting too. The last one I listed for $1 on that auction sold for $127.50! The buyers sent an email to tell me how much they loved the painting...that was really nice.
carly

(Rita, I'm watching another of your paintings!)

CathyD
10-24-2001, 01:30 AM
Hi Carly,
I too have wondered about a starting bid of $1. In fact I did do one auction at that, and the painting ended up selling for 16.00. NOT cool. So I decided I wouldn't do that again. Then I saw that Rita (I think it was Rita) had several auctions with that low minimum. So I was wondering if she has a reserve or something?

Thanks,
Cathy

teresasart
10-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Carly, you are braver than I... I have a couple of sculptures I'd like to get rid of, as 1) they were created back when I was married, and I've since changed back to my maiden name, and 2) my technique has elvolved such that I don't really want to show them with my other work. I guess I still don't want to get rid of them that badly, though, as I just couldn't list them that low. I'd rather give them away to friends who I know appreciate but can't afford my work than sell them for $1.00 (or $16.00...still less than the materials cost!) I had thought about listing one on AFA, as then it would be going to a good cause.

Good luck with your auction! I guess I'm not enough of a "gambler" at heart to be able to do that (yet?)

Teresa

Sumafra
10-24-2001, 08:37 PM
You are brave Carly. I couldn't see myself doing that unless I had a reserve. But if you sell consistently and have many regular buyers, it should be fine. I guess I'm just not there yet. Good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out, I see you already have some bids.

arteitaliana
10-24-2001, 09:56 PM
listing at $1 ( I also listed at 0.01!) is very scary. Listing at $1 and paying $23 in fees (featured auctions)is even scarier.
But has been ok up till now. The amount of people seeing my work is 8-10 times as much. The last listing (just closed) had 430 hits. I have one featured listing started at $1 but this time I put a reserve of $99 which has been met.
It's a bit of a gamble, I know, but the exposure is important, especially now that ebay is pretty slow. When I was working in advertising I learned that is tough times you have to spend more in advertising to succeed. These are tough times....
Thanks Carly, Lee, Fred and Linda for your bids. Yesterday there were only WC artists bidding on my listings. I was really overjoyed. Today a guy that probably will not appreciate my work as much as you guys may have, has won one auction and overtaken Lee. Carly is the only one left...

luv ya all

Rita

leesmith
10-25-2001, 12:39 AM
Rita,

I've had to slap myself to keep from bidding against Carly on the other one!

My problem is that I want ALL that you list!

:D

Lee

tammy
10-25-2001, 02:16 AM
I posted my very first 0.01 auction in regular auction format last week. I got 2 bids. The first from a repeat buyer for 1 cent and then the winning bid from another for 0.55. Oh wow! But I think I've got a commission from it! Yeah!

jeneelind
10-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Hey Carly,

I like you work, but you knew this. I bid on the one for a dollar, and it only went up a quarter. Last time I did a 1 painting it went for 6 dollars. I am going to keep my eye that one (the hat painting)....if it goes for 30 at least it is still an awesome deal.

Jen

timelady
10-26-2001, 07:47 AM
Well, I'm not going to risk $1 prices, but I'm going to take the plunge and buy some Featured Plus ads. I figure I can afford 4 - that's a little over my monthly budget but I'm willing to risk it once. I'm going to list about 15 items all at once and go for quantity and exposure!

Actually, I'm also going to list it as a Virtual Open Studio! Our real open studios are Thanksgiving weekend (since we dont' have Thanksgiving here) so I figure I'll advertise it as a special extension for my online customres. What do you think?

Tina.

jeneelind
10-26-2001, 08:41 AM
If you can afford it, go for it !! I think the feature idea is a good one, it will keep you at the top at all times, which means people will see your stuff when they click on the page.

Jen

CarlyHardy
10-26-2001, 11:06 AM
Jenee! I saw that bid but didn't check on who was bidding! It's weird how ebay does the increment thingy....you could bid $50 and they still would just raise it another quarter! until it gets above a certain amount...don't know when it starts being a 50 cent raise...and then a $1 raise. I think you can put in a single bid some how and it will take that bid...but I haven't figured that one out!
Most of my buying is trying to keep ahead of "LEE"!! LOL
carly

jeneelind
10-26-2001, 11:24 AM
Carly,

Keep ahead of Lee, are you trying to out spend her:) ?

Yea that hows the dollare auction works, even worse with the penny one, I have tried both and didn't like it, at all.

I think painting is worth way more than a dollar carly the canvas cost more than a dollar, and your shipping is very low (are you losing money in shipping?).

I am just hoping somebody gets in a bidding war with me, I can't stand to see people lose money :)

Jen