PDA

View Full Version : The Letter, WIP Please help!

Lisa Olivarez
09-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi, here's my pic from Sooz's goal-setting forum. My goal is to be expressively controlled. This is a WIP, about 1 hour into it. I would greatly appreciate any critiques you have to offer!
thanks, Lisahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/41640-the_letter.jpg

emmachester
09-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Lisa,

Excellent work for any amount of time. Love the orange and the houses in the back. My only suggestion involves the women and the rock?. At first I saw them as 1 object because they are so close in value. Defining them as 2 objects seems like an easy fix.

Good job.

Sherry

Deborah Secor
09-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Lisa, as I mentioned over in the goals thread, this is very emotive, as if the arms of the earth are reaching up to embrace or cover this woman. I agree, however, that I was puzzled by the shapes before her and wondered if it was a cradle...? I read concern in her gesture, as if she is concentrating or cooing over something. The colors are complleing, intense, as if a fire rages over her head, and the strong contrast suggests to me that she's hiding from the world.

It's very suggestive and strong and I love your spare strokes.

Deborah

Lisa Olivarez
09-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks Sherry, I'll pay some attentiojn to the figure/rock. I did it from imagination, and so had no reference for value. :)
Dee, thanks, you're always so encouraging! The shapes are a letter and envelope. Guess I , uh, need to work on that too!
Thanks a bunch, Lisa

llis
09-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Lisa! You've done an excellent job with that background and middle ground.... it's fantastic. I think, as already mentioned, a little more attention to the foreground, which you have made your focal area, will bring this painting to completion and be amazing. You work fast and boldly... that's a good thing. :)