PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell Saturday

ShineyObjects
09-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Greetings! I am a new kid on the block! Just signed up a week or so ago. I am lampworking beads(my most recent creative experience) among other things and started out meeting people in the glass art section! I primarily design jewelry and so wearable art is probably the most comfortable zone for me! I have been seriously at play with seed beaded work. If you had mentioned designing with seed beads to me a two years ago, I would have gagged. However, I have found the variety of color, diversity of texture, manipulation of light penetration, and three dimensional possibilities of working in seed beads to be an inspiring and exciting experience! I would like to share a couple of pictures of some of my beaded floral corsage brooches! Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!---Mona

Andee
09-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Mona - welcome to the Wearables! And what a stunning contribution - wow, I admire everybody who has patience enough to do this kind of seedbead work! The brown/black brooch especially calles out to me, beautiful! :clap:

ShineyObjects
09-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Dear Andee,
Hello from Texas! Thank you very much for your warm and enthusiastic reception of my work! After so many hours alone and bent over the design table it is very gratifying to hear praise! It defiinitely feeds my creative energy!
I took a look at your site and your glass work is stunning!
Sincerely, Mona
Mona - welcome to the Wearables! And what a stunning contribution - wow, I admire everybody who has patience enough to do this kind of seedbead work! The brown/black brooch especially calles out to me, beautiful! :clap:

Andee
09-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Mona - thanks and :wave: from Germany! Yup, I agree, hearing from others that they like your work is definitely chicken soup for the soul! :)

Here's my work for today: A bracelet with freshwater pearls, faceted fluorite beads, Swarowski beads and Bali silver. A necklace with freshwater pearls and faceted glass that has the exact right shimmer for the pearls. And a necklace that isn't quite "me" - glass beads (nope, not my own lampwork!) and a sun button for a clasp.

Speaking of "me" - would you guys say there's a certain andeeness in my work? Meaning - would you recognize my pieces as being made by me? I was wondering about this for a while... Is there a signature-sort-of-style in my work? (I mean, apart from using masses of freshwater pearls! ;) ) What do you say?

McDuck
09-18-2004, 09:33 AM
:wave: Mona - Welcome to the Wearables!!! :clap: Such talent, as seed beads although giving the diversity your mentioned are also SMALL! Just love the flower, I toolike the black one and the gold one next to it. Please show us more jewlery wearables and beads!!!

Andee, yes, I would say "perals" are your signature and a more feminine elegant type of jewelry is increasingly becoming your standard. Just love that bracelet, the way you used those sticks in the necklace and the sun is quite whymsical!

As for me, have to go look in the kiln, not sure what lies under the top yet!

-Mary

CarlaAlexander
09-18-2004, 10:07 AM
No finished work yet, but I wanted to play since it has been a while since I have posted. I did the green eyes for an order for a pair of earrings.

carebear
09-18-2004, 10:26 AM
morning all..

mona...gorgeous work! I've done some seed bead work (3 bracelets) and while I enjoy it, I've certainly never tried anything of that magnitude! Awesome!

andee....love the bracelet...!! did you use different bead caps for each crystal? I think it's great...and the necklaces are wonderful as well.....always look forward to seeing your work...

carla...lol...the first beads just make me laugh thinking of them on someones ears...how great! something like those would be a blast to wear to work one night (bartender/waitress)...but the bottom bead is my favorite! beautiful colors!

as for me, just a couple quick bracelets...the white one has some pearls and wedding cake (?) beads I bought on ebay before I even started making jewelry...and the second is some lampworked beads I also got from ebay....liquid silver doesn't scan so well!

off and runnin!

carrie

TheBlueBetween
09-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Wow Mona !!! Great work! Welcome to WC - so nice to see something completely different here! Yay!

Andee - wonderful work as usual - I really like the pearl necklace - I need to get some of those pearls! I was thinking they might work really nice as toggle bars - do you think so too? Or do you think that would be too wearing?

TheBlueBetween
09-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Speaking of "me" - would you guys say there's a certain andeeness in my work? Meaning - would you recognize my pieces as being made by me? I was wondering about this for a while... Is there a signature-sort-of-style in my work? (I mean, apart from using masses of freshwater pearls! ;) ) What do you say?

It would be fun to have an anonymous posting some time and see if everyone could guess who made what, wouldn't it? I think I almost always say - oh Andee made some more stuff today - before I look at the tiny head so yeah, I recognize your work here most of the time.

Andee
09-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Mary - thanks! :)

Carry - I used 5 different types of bead caps for the bracelet... I like yours btw! I wonder if it would help with your scanning if you put a sheet of paper on top of the jewelry for scanning?

Carla - I normally don't like eye-beads that much, but the red ones are great!

I need to get some of those pearls! I was thinking they might work really nice as toggle bars - do you think so too? Or do you think that would be too wearing?

Pam - oh, I'm not sure. If you use them with a metal O-part I think the wear would be too much for them. What would work well IMO is if they were set in Sterling...

It would be fun to have an anonymous posting some time and see if everyone could guess who made what, wouldn't it? I think I almost always say - oh Andee made some more stuff today - before I look at the tiny head so yeah, I recognize your work here most of the time.

Yeah, an anonymous post for all of us would be fun! :)

TheBlueBetween
09-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Pam - oh, I'm not sure. If you use them with a metal O-part I think the wear would be too much for them. What would work well IMO is if they were set in Sterling...

Oh no I was thinking a beaded loop - not metal!

Andee
09-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Oh no I was thinking a beaded loop - not metal!

That might work... I can give it a try one of these days, if you don't mind...?

ShineyObjects
09-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi Pam! Thank you for the warm welcome and for the wonderful compliment on my work!

Carrie--those seedbeads to take a lot of time, but I have been able to cut production time way down by using a bead spinner to backload the beads! It goes quite a bit faster that way! YOur bracelets are very very pretty! Thank you for sharing!---------Mona

Carla-Your eye beads are fascinating. I feel a strong Egyptian sense of design when I look at them! I haven't tried any eye beads yet. I am still working hard at basics!

Mary-Thank you for your welcome and for the very nice compliment on my work!

I have an image events site with several albums of different designs including a chronologue of my lampworking from first bead to most recent. If you would like to browse the image events site you can visit this link:

http://imageevent.com/mona2/vintagejewelry

This originally started as a site to display vintage collectibles for consultation from other collectors, but quickly gave up space to my own design work.
At the top of the page you can click the little button to select different catalogues of images!

You are all so very nice! I wonder why it took me so long to find you!?

Sincerely,
Mona

Mona Designs
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/monadesigns

TheBlueBetween
09-18-2004, 12:00 PM
That might work... I can give it a try one of these days, if you don't mind...?

Of course not - I doubt I was the first to think of it :D

Andee
09-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Of course not - I doubt I was the first to think of it :D

Okay, done! :D I made a very lightweight bracelet (same style as the sticks-necklace, but just the "plain" part with the ricecorn shaped pearls and glass beads) and it doesn't feel as if there's any wear on the stick pearl. I will wear it a couple of days and see if there's any wear on it when it gets in contact with tables etc... I'll keep you posted! :)

kyyardlizard
09-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Just wanted to post this pin that I made....this is what happens when you have flashbacks of younger years.. :D

carebear
09-18-2004, 03:32 PM
paula...lol....oh that makes me laugh..mainly because it looks like what I saw in the mirror this morning! :D

beautiful colors.....it's a great pin!

andee..i've tried the paper trick, it doesn't work either...the background of the scanner is solid white, so I don't know where all this darkness comes from...I even play with it in PSP, with no luck...it's really amazing to me because I use the scanner for graphics and photos I use in web pages with NO problem...but jewelry? disaster.....

I'll keep trying...

carrie

lizo
09-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi, all!

Everything looks great as usual!!

I love the pin, Paula! I feel exactly like that this afternoon! lol!

This is a necklace that I made a few days ago. It's with bluestone beads, bali spacers and Swarovski crystals. I like it, but I've already broken it!! I wore it and in the process of testing the clasp, the wire came loose of the crimp!!! I used Beadalon 19 strand wire, 0.12 diameter. And, I used a sterling silver crimping tube. What did I do wrong? :crying: Ah, well. I'll try again.

Liz

BlindCaveFish
09-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Hello! sorry I havn't been on in a while, my move was stressfull but successful!

Beautiful work everyone....that pin is crazy!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma and was wondering if someone culd give some advice.This pic may not look great because it is a scan, but I just discovered how great these beads look together and I'm not sure if I should make a bangle or string them together. I would love to make a bangle, ,but the small brown beads will fit on 18g wire, the holes are too small for 16g. I don't think 18g is thick enough for a bangle, has anyone else ever made one with so thin a wire?
Thanks!

beclectic
09-18-2004, 07:41 PM
What a lot of beautiful things today.

Mona - Welcome to Wearables. Your work is beautiful. I too am taken with the balck and gold piece but I think my fav is the one you photograped on the yellowgold background. I like that tone on tone effect and can really see it on a mustard suit jacket. Of course I never wear those colors but I still like to look at them.

Andee - I love the two different colors of stick pearls in the necklace. Very pretty necklace. I like the florite bracelet but in my opinion you cannot go wrong with the colors in that bracelet antoher winner. The sun clasp necklace is a little different for you but it is very fun. Yes I would say there is a certain Andeeness to your work. I don't know if I could pick your work out were it in a pile with other similar work but I might be able to. Your work has a certain delicatcy. You tend to use soft colors and lots of pearls as you said.

Carla - great eyes and the bicone is very pretty. I especially like the brownish red eyes and can see those in a pair of earrings.

Carrie - I love blue and green together and I am a nut for liquid silver. Wish the scan had been better but from what I can see - I like! BTW, about your scanner, some scanners don't have much depth of field so cannot be used for 3-D objects even though they do great with flat things. Your scanner may be like that.

Pam - I think a beaded loop with the stick pearls could be very nice and intergrate well with other pearl components in a piece. I thought you were talking about a metal O the same and Andee and I had the same misgivings at first.

Paula - I love, love, love that pin. It is zanny and wild. You are so original. Its a reall winner.

Liz - like all the different color crystals. That necklace design really accents the varied colors.

Hollie - I think it was Andee that made the wannabe bangles. This design would solve your problem with the smaller holes. Andee can you remember what day you posted the wannabe bangles. It was you wasn't it?

Nothing from me today. Bad headache and then a picnic obligation. It has been fun looking at all your stuff.

Beads-Me!
09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Welcome Mona! I'm glad you've joined us here! Great work everyone. Paula - go girl! I am SO proud of you and your masks.... ;)

LadyArowana
09-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Great work everyone, and welcome to Mona, I'm sure you will enjoy "wearables". Fiona

Andee
09-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Nice work, ladies! :)

Hollie - I think it was Andee that made the wannabe bangles. This design would solve your problem with the smaller holes. Andee can you remember what day you posted the wannabe bangles. It was you wasn't it?

Barbara - yes, it was me. I posted them on 8.9. (tho the thread carries the wrong date of 8.8.: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214807), 7.9. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214540) and 6.9. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214389)
Thanks for your thorough comment! :)

BlindCaveFish
09-19-2004, 03:38 AM
thank you for the links Andee!

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Great work everyone, and welcome to Mona, I'm sure you will enjoy "wearables". Fiona

Fiona, Thank you very much for your welcome! I am really enjoying the view here! There are so many creative and wonderful designers!------Mona

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Welcome Mona! I'm glad you've joined us here! Great work everyone. Paula - go girl! I am SO proud of you and your masks.... ;)

Nancy,
Thank you for your welcome!------Mona

McDuck
09-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Great work everyone that I missed yesterday and Paula that maks is FAB!

Welcome Mona!

-Mary