PDA

View Full Version : Jacob the Avenging Cowboy

emmachester
09-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Another kid picture from me. I was a teacher for 18 years so I have a lot of pictures to choose from. And I guess I'll keep doin' it tell I get it right.

I worked on this all evening and finally decided I couldn't fix the face--I may change my mind in the morning, but the face is the weak area. Oh, I just noticed the bottom of his cape is wonky and I'm really not happy with his left hand either.

C & c welcomed. 14 x 9 velour.

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/47091-Jacob_at_Halloween.jpg

Khadres
09-18-2004, 07:47 AM
I think this is really cute! I wonder if your difficulty isn't, in part, the velour surface? I don't know...haven't tried velour yet, but this is so soft looking overall, wonder how easy it is to do fine detail... Might get some tips from some of the velour pros!

Cute picture tho...good work.

K Taylor-Green
09-18-2004, 09:51 AM
One thing about velour, it won't take a lot of layers, so it requires planning ahead. That said, I still love it.
Over all it is a very good piece, so I hope you can work his face to your satisfaction.

meowmeow
09-18-2004, 09:56 AM
The velour gives it a soft, dreamy look. He is so adorable in his big cowboy hat!
I think it works. Yes, the bottom of the cape, where the dark shadow is, needs a bit of work. It almost looks like the dark shadow is larger than the cape...just a tiny bit though.

Sandy

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Emma....I , like you have been experimenting with velour..I have found that if you wet the tips of pastel pencils, you can create some detailing on velour. It would help in the face, and perhaps "squaring " up the shelving....giving some hard edges to parts of the painting, in my opinoin helps the composition