PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about this..?

Mike Finn
09-18-2004, 12:51 AM
I would appreciate opinions on this. I like very much doing this expressionist type stuff... but as I am just exploring this style some feedback would be nice :) I would give an arm, leg and even other bits for a local mentor...sigh.

Mike Finn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/41667-street.jpg

Marty C
09-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi Mike,
Well there are lots of mentors here on WC to fill the gap.
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with your work.
The immediate impression this work gives me is one of frenetic busyness, of escaping a downpour, of speed, movement and the jumbled, mixed colour of the city. If that was your intention then consider this a success, because it is very effective to that end.
If is supposed to be a leisurely stroll in the city...
It is worth exploring new avenues, going down a different road, you never know what you might discover at the end.

Mike Finn
09-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi Mike,
Well there are lots of mentors here on WC to fill the gap.
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with your work.
The immediate impression this work gives me is one of frenetic busyness, of escaping a downpour, of speed, movement and the jumbled, mixed colour of the city. If that was your intention then consider this a success, because it is very effective to that end.
If is supposed to be a leisurely stroll in the city...
It is worth exploring new avenues, going down a different road, you never know what you might discover at the end.

Thanks Marty... Yes that is the intention of the work, the wet, rainy feel is better on the full size canvas (18"x24") and if I was back in Mandurah I would be knocking on your door :)... a wine cask in hand of course!!

Mike Finn

Marty C
09-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks Marty... Yes that is the intention of the work, the wet, rainy feel is better on the full size canvas (18"x24") and if I was back in Mandurah I would be knocking on your door :)... a wine cask in hand of course!!

Mike Finn
And with that wine cask in tow (make it a nice red) you'd be more than welcome! :wave:

jbitzel
09-18-2004, 11:37 AM
composition wise I really like how everyone is going in a different direction than the subject. :D

joa
09-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Very nice--I love the colors, the busy-ness, the reflections. It has a lot of energy, due in part to all the diagonals and choppy strokes. Do some more of these! :clap:

Jo

Eileenjm
09-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I too like your style and would like to see more. :clap: :clap:

Eileen

sassybird
09-18-2004, 05:51 PM
I really can't add much to what the others have said. I like the piece for the energy and tension. One thing that bothers me a bit is the fact that the piece looks like it could be a 3 separate paintings. I would like to see a little more blending between the 3 sections to pull everything together.

Mike Finn
09-18-2004, 08:44 PM
One thing that bothers me a bit is the fact that the piece looks like it could be a 3 separate paintings.

Thanks everyone for your comments... Appreciated.

Charissa.... That is a very worthwhile and educative observation. I have of late been painting strictly from imagination/memory, not allowing myself any reference at all. I think in my mind I am only seeing the main subjects etc. I looked back over some other recent ones and I see exactly what you obseved. They all lack the little things to tie the composition together. Oh what a joyful discovery :) Thank you!!!!!! Charissa.

Mike Finn