PDA

View Full Version : Kitty "Spanky"

jyvonne
09-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Hello all!

Just finished this latest kitty- used a photo of a cat named Spanky in the image library. I also posted this in the animal/wildlife section.

This is done on 8x10 masonite and took about 10 hours. It was a joy to paint this little guy!

Any C&C is always welcome.

jyvonne

dspinks
09-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Excellent work on the eyes and fur! I like the muted, analagous background - very calm - yet the great tonal and textural variety between background and subject keeps it from being boring.

Debra

instargalv
09-17-2004, 10:07 PM
A lovely portrait. You've really captured the texture of the fur. It's great as it is, but maybe a little darker (or lighter) background to really make the cat come forward in the space?

mr sandbanx
09-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Wonderful :clap:

Marty C
09-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Hi jyvonne,
Very nice work, the eyes in particular are great. The background I think is fine, the eye is immediately drawn to the eyes and flows to the rest of the cat from there, so the focal area works well.

decoratorgirl
09-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Wow- This is one beautiful cat!!!!!!! Wouldn't touch a thing- looks great!!!!!!!

Eileenjm
09-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Beautiful painting I love the fur and the eyes. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 09:00 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
How did you get the fur to look so real?????? :envy: :envy:
Stacey

jyvonne
09-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Stacey

I just happened to be telling someone in the animal/wildlife section this, as a matter of fact. I had an annoying fan brush that seemed awkward and bulky. One day I cut all the bristles off except about 1/4 -1/3 inch off of one end. What I ended up with was a brush that I love! it has a few clumps of bristles that are angled in such a way that I can do curves and small areas easily- even single lines are easily done by using only the edge. The fur can be done several hairs at a time, but not so many that it looks unnaturally even like a regular fan brush would do. To soften the fur, I make a very dilute solution of water and paint and stroke it over the kitty to blend the fur a bit with the fan brush after I have pretty much completed the picture .

Hope that answers your question!

Have a nice day.

jyvonne

ShellyF
09-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Wonderful! I love the eyes, it's the first thing I am drawn to when I look at this.

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Hope that answers your question! jyvonne

Yes thankyou for your time and patience. :D
Stacey

bjcpaints
09-19-2004, 10:43 AM
jyvonne,
Your painting is wonderful and thanks for the tip on the brush!
Barbara

Lady Carol
09-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Stacey
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. Lovely kitty.