PDA

View Full Version : A Monthly Thread to Show WIP's etc...

sassybird
09-17-2004, 04:05 PM
What do you all think about a monthly thread to show what we are working on? Most everyone shows their finished works, but we have few that show WIP's. We could have a thread that shows where y'all are working, and what you are working on and discuss the WIP's as well as other aspects of painting ie: the enviornment, tools, what paints are being used, etc...

bjcpaints
09-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Thank you. I would like this very much and be happy to participate.

romell
09-17-2004, 06:14 PM
This is a really wonderful idea, Charissa. I guess beginners like me could learn so much with this, considering everyone could have guidances from other artists for their WIP's. I'm a big follower of "What's on your easel" on oil painting forum. :D

ree7
09-17-2004, 06:45 PM
sounds like a great idea.

Marty C
09-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I do quite a few WIPs but mostly post them over in Marine Art due to the subject matter - people are always interested in how to paint water and the sea. WIPs are a great learning tool and generally stimulate a bit of discussion. A monthly one would be great.

joa
09-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Good idea!

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 09:13 PM
count me in :D
Stacey

Vicki_Oz
09-19-2004, 02:23 AM
I think this is a great idea.....when do we start?? lol

mooz49
09-19-2004, 10:44 AM
I am all for it too! :wave:

HRH Goldie
09-19-2004, 01:37 PM
I've posted a couple of WIPs in the past but I was unsure whether or not I was helping anyone by doing this. I'd be more than happy to post more in the future if it was wanted. It's also really useful for me to get feedback, pointers and much appreciated help when needed.
The better the acrylic forum is I think many more would linger here a
while. :clap:

christine

Lady Carol
09-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Alright I fess up.....I voted no to this. I think it will be hard to get an honest crit if there are several WIPS to wade through. And then there will be the preverbial first post of something and nothing to follow it up with. So many of these will not actually be WIPS but dumping grounds for images.

I personally think that independent threads as WIPS would be more instructive for us than a communal thread.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

HRH Goldie
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Carol - It did get me thinking how would it work and if we were all posting on one thread then how would we know which post and reply belonged where?
Hmmm interested to hear how it might be worked. :)

Christine

gnu
09-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Monthly threads work fine as long as it's "what's on your easel?" and NOT wips as such. to comment all you do is quote the actual thread reply concerned. They are fun and I love to see if others are choosing the same subjects as I am right then..
WIPs should be separate..

HRH Goldie
09-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Gnu - the way sassy's post reads it seems that the wips or at least discussion of wips would be on the same thread - according to her post anyway. :D

Christine

it'sALLart
09-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Sassy, I think participation is the key here. I'm wondering if those who are not posting WIP's basically like it that way and would not respond to a monthly dedicated WIP thread anyway. They already have the ability to post WIP's and are not doing so. Would a thread devoted to WIP's cause them to post? I dunno. Plus, I'm wondering if someone didn't like the end result and never posted it... could we MAKE them promise to do post it? honor system?

I sort of like the idea of "What's on your (acrylic) easel Today?" that gnu posted. Make it Saturday. It could be the WIP thought but less confusing since many pics would be posted with no correlation anyway. Then, if they showed us the pic in a month that was the same with changes, it becomes a WIP anyway.

My only other thought is to do it weekly instead of monthly since some artists are more prolific than others and we'd miss seeing a lot of work.

Carol:As far as a dumping ground for images, I thought that's what WC was anyway!!! LOL!!! :evil: (well, with a "show and tell" undercurrent.)

oooh, and then there's those "image load" times.... they could be horrific. My browser makes me wait until all the images are loaded before it shows me anything... trips for coffee, check the mail... what's the weather?.... hey has it loaded yet? :) Have you seen that "Who are you" thread? It takes days to read, literally. Could the thread automatically wipe out the old stuff on a specific nite?

Godzoned
09-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Me.... well I don't care which way I go.

Sometimes I post a wip other times I'd rather not.

Hmmmm sorry Sassy.

Andrew
09-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I voted yes. But really, as a tool for WIP's I don't think it would be viable. WIP's are posted by less experienced artists to get help and constructive criticism, or by an experienced artist to demonstrate a process.

I definitely think we need a "What is one your easel (fill in date here)" thread. It has energetic participation in the oils form. I think that here in the acrylic formum we could match or exceed their level of enthusiasm.

Andrew

bjcpaints
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
AS a newbie, I'l be brave - here is my WIP that I have done more on since this shot but still not entirely happy. I have moved on to a gessoed masonite. This WIP is on slate and is called "Sunday Morning". Thanks for looking.
Barbara