PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me how much...

Cyndilee
09-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi All- Can anyone give me an idea of how much I should ask for a bracelet like this? It took me appx 3 hours to make but it was my first and I'm sure it took longer than average. I don't want to underprice it but of course don't want to overprice it either! Can anyone tell me what they've sold similar pieces for?
Thanks!

Cyndi

debkauz
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Cyndi,
That's a hard one to do. It really depends a great deal on your market. I have a market in Palm Desert California and I am able to get a lot more in that market than I would, say, in Iowa. My mother's friends are shocked that I get $100-$150 for a piece of jewelry--WHOLESALE! THeir idea for the same piece is maybe $40. RETAIL! NOT! It looks nice and you obviously put a lot of work into it. I would at the very least do !) price of inventory x 3-4 or 2) inventory price plus a set fee for your time and work. It may take you a while to figure out what your market will bear. Good luck!

Deb

Patricia'sglass
09-17-2004, 10:45 PM
I agree that style of bracelet is more work intensive. I don't think 3 hours is a long time. I must be a slow meanderer...but it takes a while to do all the dangles before you string. Or is it done with one strand of Nymo? It's really pretty. :)

tamjai
09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
this won't tell you what your market will bear but it may give you some ideas.....http://home.iximd.com/~carousel/CraftCalc1pt6.htm
tam

sassybird
09-18-2004, 12:28 AM
What is your area like? I live in ranch and farm country in Idaho. Something like that people would be shocked by a $25 price tag. They just don't buy much in the first place, but when they do they treat a buy like they are at a flea market. So, what did I do? I found me a partner on WC! that does the selling and I will be doing the work.

Cyndilee
09-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I know the supplies x3 + hourly wage formula, but in some instances I'm not sure that works. Here I've got appx. $5 in supplies and if I wanted $10 an hour that would make for a $45 bracelet. If I used artisan lampwork of course the price could be even more. I'm just wondering if that is a ridiculous price to expect? Wouldn't it be nice if when everyone posted their jewelry here they would post also how much they are asking or have sold that piece for. I'm just thinking if most haven't sold a certain style piece for over a certain price- it really wouldn't matter the time or materials I had invested, I most likely wouldn't get more than x amount of dollars, unless it was a super unusual piece. Lol, so I guess my posted question should have been- how much could you get for this?

Patty- it is done w/ one base strand of c-flex then an additional 8ft piece. Fairly easy but time consuming, got the pattern from Bead & Button (i think) :)

debkauz
09-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't think that $45 is unreasonable at all. Price it at that and if it doesn't sell, have a *sale*. Then people will for sure think they are getting a deal! I sell mostly wholesale and I price most of my work between $60 and $150 for wholesale. I would at least double if it were retail. I guess you just have to try it and see what happens. Let us know!

Debbie

ShineyObjects
09-19-2004, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Cyndilee]Thanks everyone for your input. I know the supplies x3 + hourly wage formula, but in some instances I'm not sure that works. Here I've got appx. $5 in supplies and if I wanted $10 an hour that would make for a $45 bracelet. If I used artisan lampwork of course the price could be even more. I'm just wondering if that is a ridiculous price to expect? Wouldn't it be nice if when everyone posted their jewelry here they would post also how much they are asking or have sold that piece for. I'm just thinking if most haven't sold a certain style piece for over a certain price- it really wouldn't matter the time or materials I had invested, I most likely wouldn't get more than x amount of dollars, unless it was a super unusual piece. Lol, so I guess my posted question should have been- how much could you get for this?

Hi Cyndilee,
You can offer a little paper bag with $5.00 worth of identical components to 20 designers and give them an hour to do something original. After an hour passes and the 20 designers line up with their designs for show and tell, you will see an astonishing array of pieces of work, and it is likely that they will all be very different. The prize(the high dollar compensation) goes to the designer who created the most arresting, intriguing, entertaining, and charming idea. You can't put a price on creativity...but you can try to be compensated fairly for the quality of craftsmanship, originality, and universal appeal of the beauty that you produce during the consultation between your mind, your heart, and your soul.
Someone asked a question last week, how do you know when you have done something really fine, or something only average...nice, but average. The response I heard was...when you make something very nice you smile. When you make something outstanding it increases the rate of your pulse. We have certain autonomic responses to what our perceptions tell us is beautiful. If your pulse is racing when you view the finished piece, mark it up at least twice. Sound to esoterical? Maybe so, but I would and do, gladly compensate an artist with top dollar for an inspired design that has textural, dimensional, colorful qualities that intrigue and entertain me regardless of what I might think the dollar amount of the materials might amount to. So will many many others! Sometimes an outstanding design occurs and produces in hours, weeks, or months. Sometimes an outstanding design occurs in less than an hour, when just the right thing happens on a design table as the components roll up against one another and shout to be joined! A spontaneous and inspired little miracle! I just as easily pay a good price for a one hour miracle as I do a one week miracle and I am not a remarkable shopper. Buyers have a bottom line and it isn't usually price. It is the multi-dimensional level of entertainment and enjoyment they receive from the viewing, touching, wearing, and even the admiration they receive from others!
Do you see your piece coming down a catwalk in Milan, New York, or Rome??? If you do, give yourself a raise!!!!!!At least for that piece. Enough of my soapbox huh!!!! :D
--------Mona
Mona Designs
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/monadesigns

Mary Riggs
09-19-2004, 06:32 PM
I've sold similar bracelets easily for $40-$60.00 in my small town of 6,000. I think it really depends on how unique a piece is to who is viewing it.

A friend was wearing one of my fringe bracelets in our local ice cream shop and the employee saw it, admired it, so my friend gave her my card. The employee called me and had no problem with the price of $50.00, and she works for minimum wage and is aged only 16. Go figure!

Your bracelet is very beautiful and you should have no problem finding buyers who are willing to pay your price. As was stated above, this is a kind of serendipity-type thing sometimes.

debkauz
09-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Mona,
Not only do you know if it's great, but so does the buyer. If they love it, that's what counts! I have made things that I thought were OK and have found out that someone fell totally in love with it and HAD to have it! That's always nice to know. :clap: :)
A totally frustrating moment for me once was selling something off my neck, being afraid I had asked a bit too much and having the person kind of screetch and yell "I would have paid another hundred bucks for this necklace." Well then...
It's just a hard thing to figure sometimes.

Deb

Oskadis
09-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Uhh ... Where are all those wonderful customers? I am still looking for them :rolleyes:

That bracelet is beautiful. :clap:

ShineyObjects
09-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Deb,
I know just what you mean, and actually after all the blabbing I have done about this and that, what it comes down to is that buyers recognize inspired work, are hungry for it, will pay for it, and become devoted followers of work as long as what they see continues to be inspiring! It is an acquisition of intimate art!---------Mona

chevy1659
09-25-2004, 12:04 AM
As a shopper and bead bracelet maker...if it were mine I would definetly tag for a min. of $65.00...the bracelet is gorgeous and unique.

Great job :clap:

SuzyQ
09-25-2004, 07:11 AM
One thing you could do is re-use that design using more valuable materials. People don't value time, even though they should, because with something like stringing beads they often thing "I could do that." But if you change what your are selling to include valuable (note the word isn't expensive) items it will be perceived as a higher value. For example what if your clasp was sterling silver? You add 8 or so dollars to your price in the formula but you add a lot to the perceived value of the piece because now you can say beaded sterling silver bracelet.
I think you could get $45 for that bracelet as is. I would price it at $48. It is really beautiful. Make sure to put it next to something more expensive so they can see how detailed the work is but what a great price. But like Charissa said, you need to be in the right area. So instead of pricing for your market, price in a way you don't lose your shirt and find the right market.

Cyndilee
09-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks all! Being new in the jewelry business I expect it will take me a while to figure out where my stuff fits in. Just having a ballpark figure of what is too low/high is a great help- you've all offered me great advice! Now I've got to figure out what to price my lampwork (my beads) bracelets at. Someone said $1 per minute on the torch be being fairly new w/ a hot head to boot that would be way way too much! But alot is percieved value- one person may look at it and just see glass beads- another would see all the time it took to make each bead. Thanks again!

Cyndi

Dallen
09-25-2004, 08:55 PM
My opinion. Know who you created it for.
The bracelet is an "ego piece" for someone that thinks they are "unique" and wants to be thought of that way by others. I would price it at $125.oo and harp on its uniqueness. Shouldn't be hard to sell at that price.

Dallen