PDA

View Full Version : Frog... WIP

jbitzel
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
This is the second of my bathroom beauification project. I have 2 bathrooms one with a frog theme and one with a rubber duck theme. I got the refernce photo in the refrence library, thanks gaka. I plan on adding a flower or two in the background but other than that I need some C&C. :wave:

piper2
09-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Your branch looks awesome, but your frog is still missing something, I think. He looks metallic instead of slimy. And take it from someone who has caught a lot of frogs in their day, they are REALLY slimy. Now, a toad, on the other hand . . . :evil:

sassybird
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I agree with James about the metalic look, and I know my frogs too......lol If you don't mind mixing your mediums you could stipple a little here and there with a gel pen or even in black. That would not look out of place since you would only be doing a bit.

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Your branch looks awesome, He looks metallic instead of slimy.
totally agree, but also the frog looks like he has been pasted on the log, not sitting on it (just IMO). But otherwise, the painting is coming along great.
Don't give up on it and show us the final piece.
Stacey

Eileenjm
09-18-2004, 07:40 AM
I think like Charissa said a little stippling would do the trick. If you look at the ref pic the frog has detail in the grove of it's back legs and side of its head. Other that that it's brilliant. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen.

piper2
09-18-2004, 08:39 PM
I think just some darker shadows would adhere the frog to the branch.

jbitzel
09-18-2004, 09:34 PM
as far as shadows on the branch I was afraid that if I mucked it up that it would be too hard to fix the texture on the branch. So don't think I ignored all of you, but here it is finished.

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Much better :)
Stacey

Marty C
09-19-2004, 04:56 AM
The frog looks good, great idea for a bathroom.
I see you have used Gaka's photo. If you haven't already, go and look at some of Gaka's work in acrylic, pastel or practically any medium he dabbles in. It is utterly awesome, the guy is amazing.

pameladallaire
09-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Look at the eye of your frog. It has a flat top and the reference photo shows a large round top. Also the eye needs to be bigger with the top of the eye rounding up, not down, to match the photo. And if you are truly trying to match the photo (I change the original colours of photos) there is a lot of dark and light yellows in this frog. I do like your painting, I don't see many frogs painted here. Pam

piper2
09-20-2004, 01:34 PM
as far as shadows on the branch I was afraid that if I mucked it up that it would be too hard to fix the texture on the branch. So don't think I ignored all of you, but here it is finished.

Be brave! I would still put an ever so faint line of black under his front leg and I would darken that foot that is visible underneath his body. It'll make him more three dimensional.

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 07:53 AM
unfortunatly I already added 3 layers of medium to this painting. When I look at it now I think about how I should have put that line under the front foot, but who is ever completely happy with their stuff? :D

piper2
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
unfortunatly I already added 3 layers of medium to this painting. When I look at it now I think about how I should have put that line under the front foot, but who is ever completely happy with their stuff? :D

Very true. I look at stuff that I sold a year ago, various commissions, and I cringe to think that stuff is circulating the world with my name on it.

Although, your frog is hardly cringe-worthy.