PDA

View Full Version : Friday 9/17 Drooling Time Again...Show & Tell

Briatha
09-17-2004, 02:19 AM
It's after 2AM on the East Coast & I just wanted to share before toddling off to bed. :D

Peach Pink Float and Halloween Orange Opal

Norma623
09-17-2004, 06:16 AM
Wow Briatha - what a night owl!! Good mornin! I turn into a pumpkin if I'm up after 11!! Great work - I especially love the halloween set - they look great etched and the pink set will sell like hotcakes - everyone LOVES pink!

Here are a few of mine - a couple of focals with dichro cores, then clear, then silver, then frit. And a tab set - light aqua, silvered ivory, ink blue (the rust/red was a surprise!)

Now my coffee should be ready.....mmmmm!

G&S Lampwork
09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
It's Friday night here in South Aussie, thought it was about time I joined in with the Show 'N Tell, it's been a long time for me.
Faith - Lovely as usual, love the peach and pink
Norma - Very pretty beads, I wish I wasn't so silver challenged!

Here is a set I made yesterday with spectrum 96 yellow sheet glass and gaffer apricot frit, with spectrum waterglass purple and violet flowers.

bubbasjewels
09-17-2004, 07:40 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the eye candy........
All of you are inspiring :D
Stumbling out to da torch...................................

GinaJ
09-17-2004, 08:11 AM
'Morning All!
Faith - those are great, I love that pink color!
Norma - beautiful work with silver, I really like that first one, gorgeous!!!
Lorraine - wow, those are so beautiful, that purple is luscious!
Here's mine, Moretti pink and green (I forget the name, looks lime) with SIS and etched:

littlecrow1
09-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Goood Morning ! :D ...Coffee with mocha creamer anyone? :wave:

Its Friday! Its Friday! Whoohoooo! Loooove FRIDAY!!! It means I can sleep in tomorrow if i want! :clap: no 5am wake up call! Whooohoooo!

Bri- Yummy PInk!
Norma- that first one reminds me of a underwater cave...like the lost city of atlantis or something...very cool!
Lorraine- Beautiful
Gina...Yum!

I did these yesterday..
Named them Tara after the tiger that bit me in the butt when I was little...lol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167689&stc=1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167689&stc=1

KellyD
09-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Faith- both sets are great, but that Halloween Orange Opal is super!
Norma- That first bead is too cool!
Lorraine- Those are beautiful. they look likes antique treasures
Gina- nice dreamy colors
Deb- your beads are all always amazing, but this one is really awsome
I have a Mermaid with seashells, sun, beach bucket, etc..
Kelly

dread
09-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Woo hoo three times this week posting !
boy when you put drooling time you were right ! Great work all.

Today - NO PAINTED BEADS ! I have a new love - Boro
Using a minor and two concentrators for all you out there constantly wondering like myself - could I do boro on a Minor concentrators - YES !!!!!

Well some boro and a a Fat Witch Cat

I am off today for three day class with Doug Remschneider - woo hoo I'm gonna learn about Boro !

Libby L.
09-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok first time to post with the daily show and tell. I am going disk crazy somebody stop me.

Briatha nice job
Norma beautiful
Lorraine love the colors Wow.
Gina nice nice nice
Kelly too cute!
Deb amazing

Linnea
09-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Happy Friday
Libby love the disks,, how fun
Dread ,, great boro but I love the fat cats so much
Kelly beautiful beach sets
Littlecrow, pretty set, love the way you put the fiber with them
Gina that is a very pretty combo !!!
G/S yours too ,, like the ruffles so much
Norma, great !!!!!
Britha ,, fun fun fun halloween set
Here are mine for today

jeffwelsh23462
09-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Here are my items for the day bracelets and a couple pendants. ;)

greatfindsct
09-17-2004, 10:42 AM
:clap: Everyone has such gorgoues beads up!!!!
These are my first good lentils using the CBS. Jenn (foofaraw) has been helping me...thanks Jenn :) I'm trying to still get round ones though :)
CBS + Raku + Silver = http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/32278-galaxyjubilee.jpg

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

margaretz
09-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone!!!

littlecrow: fantastic job on this set- I really like the look! Now- can we hear the story of getting bit on the a** by a tiger? :p :p

greatfinds: very cool set!
Jeff: I love the pendant with the chinese character. Translation?

Here's a bead I made after a late- night idea... I stayed up super-late to make it.. listed it yesterday, and it was on the auction block for about 7 hours.. that and a number of other were snatched up with BINs from regular customers. I'm not complaining at all!!! :)

Moth
09-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi everyone!!!

littlecrow: fantastic job on this set- I really like the look! Now- can we hear the story of getting bit on the a** by a tiger? :p :p

greatfinds: very cool set!
Jeff: I love the pendant with the chinese character. Translation?

Here's a bead I made after a late- night idea... I stayed up super-late to make it.. listed it yesterday, and it was on the auction block for about 7 hours.. that and a number of other were snatched up with BINs from regular customers. I'm not complaining at all!!! :)

I don't think I have ever checked someones auctions so fast. LOL

Gorgeous and right up my alley!!

:( But I didn't find it...probably someone else is sitting behind their computer screen with a funny grin on their face while they click the 'pay now' buttons....boohoo.

Moth
09-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I don't think I have ever checked someones auctions so fast. LOL

Gorgeous and right up my alley!!

:( But I didn't find it...probably someone else is sitting behind their computer screen with a funny grin on their face while they click the 'pay now' buttons....boohoo.

LOL, that proves how fast I clicked your links to try and find that bead, I hadn't even read your whole post about how it was listed for 7 hours and snatched up right away.

;)

starlightdesigns
09-17-2004, 11:12 AM
G' morning all!

Fantastic S&T today!!! Love all the goodies... I don't have anything for today... maybe tomorrow... sigh!

Have a great weekend, all!

tulips
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
All wounderful as always! Wow, Margaret! That was an amazing bead! I always love the shape of your beads! Of course the color combinations lately have been really stunning!

jeffwelsh23462
09-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone!!!

Jeff: I love the pendant with the chinese character. Translation? :)
hi the translation is "ANGEL"

Seeley
09-17-2004, 11:25 AM
New vessel for me, everything but the kitchen sink in this one... plus Vals GREAT, WONDEFFUL, Thank GOD for it.... Raku Jiterbug frit! I think it should be a controlled substance! :D

!ngridh
09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
I am going to have to stop dropping in on these threads... There are so many really incredible beads that I get overwhelmed and then I go completely blank!

Gorgeous beads...~ I am going to have to torch first...drool later! :D

margaretz
09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Moth.... LOL... you're too funny. I made two with gold this week, that one and another with blues/ greens. Both were purchased quickly, so I think I'll be making more of those... gotta get some more gold leaf, cuz I'm gonna run out soon. Thanks!!! You made me smile!
Tulips- Thanks on the shape... It's nothin' fancy... a lot of marvering, heat and gravity... A squish and good flame polish at the end. That tabular shape is my favorite to make... they feel nice... Thanks!!
Jeff- very cool. That'd be a nice thing to wear... Thanks for letting me know!!!

Norma623
09-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi - I was just reviewing the thread - GREAT BEADS everyone (congrats Margaret!) - and I just had to comment on what great photography is going on here as well! Some of these photos are really terrific! Great job everyone!

Moth
09-17-2004, 11:54 AM
OK, now that I have collected myself, I am back. ;)

Here is what I have to show.

violet base, fine silver, latticino, purple and mixed yellow flowers
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/24464-buttercupvioletssideo.jpg

white base, pale lavender, feathered greens, raku flowers
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/24464-rakudiamondo.jpg

Have a great day everyone...there are some beautiful beads in this thread!

~~Mary

littlecrow1
09-17-2004, 12:12 PM
WOW! I just love this thread! makes me want to get off my arse and get on the torch!

Margaretz-...roflmao..I really was bit in the a** by a tiger..rofl I was 7yrs old at a shop called the down and under that my sisters boyfriend owned. Very cool shop! My sister was the coolest and this guy was DROP DEAD GORGEOUS! His pet tiger Tara came to work with him...I was looking at jewelry and she came up from behind and nipped me in the butt! I bout flew over the glass case! :eek: I didnt know at the time that all she wanted to do was play, scared the **** out of me! Definately a childhood memory I will never forget! :D

koregon
09-17-2004, 12:15 PM
beautimous stuff you guys! thanks for the inspiration!
I got my R108 powder yesterday and love the stuff....so much I think can be done with it...here is a set and pix of some focals I tried different base colors to see what will happen...playing with the heat thing on it to...I love the excitement of seeing what comes out.

have a great day!

margaretz
09-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Wow... pet tigers, huh? Now THAT's a strange idea... I'm a total animal lover and all, but that takes the cake... Not sure I could handle a tiger. Thanks for sharing! (and off goes margaret, imagining 7 year old deb's butt being nibbled by a large predaceous cat.... margaret will be giggling all day)

margaretz
09-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Ok, Deb... this got me thinking... I'm laughing really hard, too, so not thinking that hard... I think you need to do a series of "When Animals Interact" (attack is too strong of a word). You were nibbled by a tiger...A friend of mine was booted (he hung onto her arm with his front legs while he kicked her with both back legs) by a kangaroo I've had any number of odd animal enounters...

Here's a glimmer of my life as a biologist:
- pecked by a penguin
- startled by javelina
- stepped on by a bobcat
- stung by a portugese man of war (a little one, I was fine)
- want more? I have more... just ask...

So I think you should make sets of beads along the same lines as your Tara set but applied to other animal encounter stories. You don't have to use mine... but I think it's a funny idea. (maybe I'm the only one who does... I hope you at least get a chuckle.)

SPIglass
09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
So many yummy beadies here today!! Deborah (dread) that Fat Witch Cat is too cute!! I'm going to have to tell Kandice to be sure to check out this thread today to see it. She has an adorable fat orange kitty and loves Halloween. She'd get a kick out of it!! :p

Here's a couple of mine. Haven't had much time on the torch this week (hubby's been getting home late), so I don't have much to share.

Paulette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/10616-autumnlace1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/10616-patinalandscape1.jpg

littlecrow1
09-17-2004, 12:50 PM
K! Those are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

MARGARTEZ- :D This set did bring on whole bunch of different animal patterns for me:)...your job sounds like a lot of fun...I love animals...I was bit in the behind by a dobermin too but I dont think those would be very pretty beads...rofl! hmmm.. think I could blame the size of my *behind* :wink2: on being bitten?hahahahahaha! Ya know swelling?...hahahaha ;)

!ngridh
09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
You know...you would think that a pressed bead is a pressed bead...but I swear I could recognize the beauty of Kaye's any day of the week...there is this Je ne sais pas!

Not only the shape but the way she decorates her beads... just lovely.

Forgive me for not commenting on all the beautiful beads but this just struck me as I looked at her beads.

ritabead
09-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Sigh....... such great beads you guys. Gotta run to studio. Here are a couple more. I'm over the Chrysanthemums. I only have to make 15 more ever! Then onto something new. :)

Tink
09-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Here's a glimmer of my life as a biologist:
- pecked by a penguin
- startled by javelina
- stepped on by a bobcat
- stung by a portugese man of war (a little one, I was fine)
- want more? I have more... just ask...

LOL! Ok, I want to hear more! I've been pecked by penguins, too, and stung by a Man O' War, but my favorite one was also the most recent.

I did some consulting for the Toledo Zoo, so I got to do and see a lot of cool behind the scenes stuff. One day, I got to get up close and personal with a HUGE bear who was knocked out cold to get his teeth cleaned. I gave him a hug, and um.... he... was really, REALLY glad. If you get my drift.

Anyway, a couple from me today. Better late than never, eh?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/10179-hallofleurdelis.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/10179-lilacfrost.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/10179-2tonecone.jpg

margaretz
09-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Ingrid (and Kaye): I absolutely agree with you... Kaye's beads are press-erific. I, too, can always recognize them. These are absolutely no exception. Kaye, I loooooove the look of these. You've done a great job capturing the variety of color in the raku powder. It's a great candidate for a large set like this- so much variety, but you've kept the shape of the beads consistent, so that creates a great contrast. Excellent job!

OK... Tink and Deb: Just a little background... So, all of my crazy animal adventures have happened in various jobs/ fieldwork projects/ school stuff. I've been lucky enough to travel to Belize, Costa Rica, and the Bahamas, (tough, I know) all in the name of science. It's at the field stations in these three places where I've had the many of my animal encounters... add in working for a Metroparks system in Ohio, going to college in CT, and, now, living in Arizona...

Tink- the bear... that's just ewwwww... but seriously funny. (What would a bead inspired by THAT situation look like?!?) I had a number of relatively uneventful bear enounters a few weeks ago while camping in Southern California... fortunately nothing major... we kept camp very clean for the very reason of avoiding them... a few other animal-related enounters:
- being felt up by a baby raccoon (we were doing rehab and release with this perverted little guy). We'd let him roam in our office at the Metroparks system and he liked to shimmy up the side of my leg and hide under my (or anyone else's) shirt while I was working at my desk.
- The college I attended had a definite skunk overpopulation problem. That didn't mesh very well with the fact that, at my co-op, while we cooked dinner, we'd leave the kitchen door open. That door was conveniently right next to our compost bin... imagine turning around from making stir fry for 30, and finding a very fat skunk 3 feet behind you, butt sticking out of a 5 gallon bucket. That skunk was thoroughly enjoying the remains of a rotten tomato, and didn't at all take kindly to my chasing him out of the kitchen. Tail went up, but thankfully I chased him out and shut the door before he sprayed...
- Did ya know hawks can aim their poop? Did ya know that they'll poop on me (of course, wearing a white shirt) while I'm giving a program on raptors to 50 people?

OK... this is getting long winded... but so much fun. Might have to start a tread tomorrow in the lobby on this one... tee hee hee...

bolimasa
09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Just a little nosey here...Why 15 ever? I only ask because I started a thread earlier this week asking people how many of each kind of bead they make. (But didn't get many responses) I guess what I really wanted know is if people are striving to make every bead beautiful and original or if they work hard to develop an outstanding design that they than make many replicates of. I mostly am curious how people work because I'm considering trying to reign in my B.A.D.D. (bead attention deficit disorder) and try to find a focus for my bead making.

Sigh....... such great beads you guys. Gotta run to studio. Here are a couple more. I'm over the Chrysanthemums. I only have to make 15 more ever! Then onto something new. :)

ritabead
09-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Bolimasa,
That's a really great question!!!!
After having done photography for 16 years I became used to the logic behind having a really great print but making only 50 of them, ever. Being from an art background I've always seen photographers, printmakers and the like create a series of one beautiful piece. SO I thought, well I have developed this bead I love and they are all turning out well with the design and integrity intact. So, if I take it one step further, then I could treat this with the same seriousness as " publicly recognized" art forms. So with the Chrysanthemums I decided to make them a series. I decided 50 would be a good limitation. So I have made and sold 35 of them all beautiful in their own right and well made. So, I will only make 15 more. This also seemed to make sense to me, because it will be in Corina's spotlight. So I am taking something that I feel I have perfected, limiting the access of originals and sharing the technique with the world to keep it's value intact. It's part love part art marketing I guess. There is only one David sculpture and we all know how popular he is. And only a few hundred of each of Mucha's prints as well. I hope that puts it in bead perspective.
I just feel that glass is as valuable as any other art with a limited edition. Plus, I really am ready to go on to something new.

BTW to you gals with animal encounters. I have one to contribute, myself. Never, ever feed a hungry hamster naked while leaning against the cage. I had a hamster bite my n*pple. It hurt like hell!!!!!! :evil: I always stay my distance now, even clothed!! :evil:

bolimasa
09-17-2004, 05:27 PM
That's a very interesting answer. I've never been to a bead show that sells artisan lampwork beads, but I assume that if you are bringing 100's of beads and or sets to sell they couldn't possible all be totally unique! Now I want to know if others do "limited" series?

BTW, Your Chrysanthemum beads are gorgeous!

Bolimasa,
That's a really great question!!!!
After having done photography for 16 years I became used to the logic behind having a really great print but making only 50 of them, ever. Being from an art background I've always seen photographers, printmakers and the like create a series of one beautiful piece. SO I thought, well I have developed this bead I love and they are all turning out well with the design and integrity intact. So, if I take it one step further, then I could treat this with the same seriousness as " publicly recognized" art forms. So with the Chrysanthemums I decided to make them a series. I decided 50 would be a good limitation. So I have made and sold 35 of them all beautiful in their own right and well made. So, I will only make 15 more. This also seemed to make sense to me, because it will be in Corina's spotlight. So I am taking something that I feel I have perfected, limiting the access of originals and sharing the technique with the world to keep it's value intact. It's part love part art marketing I guess. There is only one David sculpture and we all know how popular he is. And only a few hundred of each of Mucha's prints as well. I hope that puts it in bead perspective.
I just feel that glass is as valuable as any other art with a limited edition. Plus, I really am ready to go on to something new.

BTW to you gals with animal encounters. I have one to contribute, myself. Never, ever feed a hungry hamster naked while leaning against the cage. I had a hamster bite my n*pple. It hurt like hell!!!!!! :evil: I always stay my distance now, even clothed!! :evil:

margaretz
09-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Rita- owies!!! That musta hurt... I enjoyed reading your answer re. 'limited' series. And, the bead, of course, is beautiful!

Bolimasa- to answer your question, yes and no... most of the beads I make sorta fit into one (or two) of 6 or 7 different style series... some I've put away, not for reasons of maintianing how many are out there but rather to follow my whim and the directions I'm exploring at any given point. I've brought a few back from "retirement" and had great fun exploring new directions within that style. I can understand, however, why Rita chooses to limit the number of beads in any given style... not only does it have benefit as far as art marketing goes, it also pushes the artist to "move on" too... to explore new styles and themes. (Not that, for at least as long as I've known her beads, Rita has EVER had trouble with that- Rita, your designs are always unique AND I can tell they're yours whenever I see them... something I really admire) It also give a little catalyst to push oneself in new directions.

ritabead
09-17-2004, 06:15 PM
god forbid I ever stagnate, I have done it before and it makes me feel like a total loser! So change is definitely good. :D

littlecrow1
09-17-2004, 06:22 PM
OMG! :eek: That is seriiously hillarious!! Imma pee my pants!! Ahhhahahahahahaaa!

Happy ;) bears....groping racoons and naughty hampsters * OUCH!!!!* ...rofl...

bolimasa
09-17-2004, 07:13 PM
The one nice thing about "organic" styles is that they are always pretty different even if you use the same "recipe". I really enyoy that part of organic style along with using reduction glass, frits and metals. Dot and stringer style beads seem so much more reproducible(in theory :evil:) to me, perhaps that's why I don't do them as often. One reason I really started thinking about this is my upgrade to a minor this summer has made me think I should spend more time on "skills"... like dot beads and triangle beads. So I started doing hollows (yet another skill I'd like to master), and found a design I like that uses dots, but it feels weird to me to do the same thing more than once! Doing them in different colors helps... I envision a rainbow of my "spaceship" hollows (someone told me they look like UFO'S)... helps, but it is hard to make the same thing more than a couple times

I really appreciate everyone input on "working" style, it gives me more to consider as I decide what path my glasswork takes.

Margaret...When do you graduate and what are you going to next?

Rita- owies!!! That musta hurt... I enjoyed reading your answer re. 'limited' series. And, the bead, of course, is beautiful!

Bolimasa- to answer your question, yes and no... most of the beads I make sorta fit into one (or two) of 6 or 7 different style series... some I've put away, not for reasons of maintianing how many are out there but rather to follow my whim and the directions I'm exploring at any given point. I've brought a few back from "retirement" and had great fun exploring new directions within that style. I can understand, however, why Rita chooses to limit the number of beads in any given style... not only does it have benefit as far as art marketing goes, it also pushes the artist to "move on" too... to explore new styles and themes. (Not that, for at least as long as I've known her beads, Rita has EVER had trouble with that- Rita, your designs are always unique AND I can tell they're yours whenever I see them... something I really admire) It also give a little catalyst to push oneself in new directions.

margaretz
09-17-2004, 09:29 PM
boli- I'm writing my thesis now, and I'm hoping to defend it sometime in November. If that goes according to plan, I'll be done in early December and doing glass full-time after that... Have an "artist party" (private residence trunk show, essentially) at the start of December, vending at Best Bead II here in February, and another show in March... more planned for summer too. It's nervewracking and exciting all at the same time! :-)

Guess I am getting a master's in entomology to run off and be a glass artist. Sounds perfectly rational to me. :p :D

tamjai
09-17-2004, 10:10 PM
i am humbled by the work today....
i am posting this because i have to take it apart... :crying:
these are my first attempts at bicones(i am still new at this and do not have a mold) i know they are not great but, i was so pleased that i made this necklace - but the stringing is all wrong - it doesn't lay right...oh well there are some of my new cone 6 ceramic beads in here too
tam

Amozoo
09-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Nice necklace Tam. These pictures today just take my breath away. Everyone got about 1,000 times more creative when I was gone! Yazam!
Here's one set I did yesterday.