PDA

View Full Version : Scout and Jack

emmachester
09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
I stayed home from work today (cough, cough) and worked on this picture of a friend's son and my dog Scout (I have 2 other dogs--Emma & Chester--get it?) C & c welcomed, especially the background. They were sitting on a boring lawn and I wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks again for looking.

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/47091-Jack_and_Scoutjpg.jpg

K Taylor-Green
09-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Whoa, Sherry, good job! I know, there is something about the background, but as I am landscape challenged, I'll let the experts address that.
The child and dog are good, but it is the feel of the piece that impresses me.

khourianya
09-17-2004, 12:35 AM
This is an incredibly sweet piece...you have totally captured the special, relaxed friendship between a boy and a dog.

emmachester
09-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks Kate and Cori. This was a photo I took at a party and it wasn't staged in any way. Jack was on the lawn enjoying a quiet moment with our dog.

Oh, I forgot to say that this is on velour paper! It's about 14 x 12 and it is my second painting on velour--my first was a landscape, but I won't post it because I put about 90 layers of pastels on it because I liked the feel of painting on it so much. (Stop, Sherry, stop! Put the painting down!)

Also, the background looks particularly lame here. I didn't get the whole picture in the scan--I inadvertently cut off the top.

Sherry

prestonsega
09-17-2004, 02:00 AM
This brought back the dog food commercials that were on tv when aI wass a kid.(we raised shepherds) Somehow the girlie flowers (that sounds so sexists...sorry if anyone is offended....)are not as powerful a background as you can have...My first instict was that they were sitting on the bank of a small pond??????......Your execution of the subjects is superb...I am draperyy challenged.....I shy away from it whenever possible.....guess that would be a good entry for Tom's current project .

" Oh, I forgot to say that this is on velour paper! "

I too just had a go with the velour and much to my surprise I kinda liked it, also.

Khadres
09-17-2004, 09:04 AM
This is lovely! Have you thought of cropping it just below the flowers? I kinda like the textury feel of the grass itself...it's just the color of those flowers that gets to me and I can't really think of any other color that would work better, either...you want the focus kept on the boy and pooch, not on the background...does that make sense?

Oops, just checked your painting again and see you CAN'T crop out all the flowers! Sorry....well, shoot, is it possible to work more grass over the top? I've never worked on that surface, so I don't know what's doable.

Gosh, I'm gonna have to give in soon and try out both velour and La Carte...I've got some, but have never tried 'em cause I'm so sold on Wallis, but sometimes something different is fun to experiment with.

emmachester
09-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Preston & Sooz--water?..hmm..I hadn't thought of that. I only put the splotches of yellow to give you something to look at when you followed the boys gaze to the upper right. This is really a composition question. I can continue the grass. Hmmmm.

Sooz--you have to try velour paper. While I was purchasing it in the store, I had visions of Elvis on black velvet (and the visions weren't good), but I am a convert. I, too, love Wallis, but if you want a soft, dreamy look to landscapes, there is nothing like velour. It accepts lots of layers of pastels and you can correct most of your mistakes--it's hard to cover areas you have painted very dark and many dark colors in a area will result in mud if you overwork it. It is possible to love 2 papers at the same time. Trust me.

Sherry

bnoonan
09-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Oh I really really like this one.... It's such a common subject matter but what you did with composition is just telling of the entire event.

Will you darken any darks or just leave it at is? I'm wondering if it would just - push the contrast a bit more and really enrich the piece.

Good stuff!!!! Barb

TSPoon
09-17-2004, 08:51 PM
It's a great composition, although I don't have an answer about the "girly flowers", but I tend to agree....maybe something else?

Whenever I see you post, I want to ask you = Are you in Bremerton? I'm in Renton!

Terry

emmachester
09-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Terry,

Renton? My parents live in Kent. I live in the woods near Kingston, but I work in Seattle near the International District 4 days a week. (Actually, that's pretty close to Renton.) Julie (SweetbabyJ) lives near Olympia.

Hey, we about the same age and we both quilt!! Although I have to say that since I started pastels I have put all my sewing away. Fabric and pastels don't mix. I'm going to need 2 craft rooms in my next house.

You aren't by any chance going to one of Susan Ogilvie's workshops in Port Townsend in October? It would be great to meet other WC'ers in person. I am totally obsessed with pastels, but I also do watercolor and acrylics. Let me know if you'll be going to any workshops, and maybe I'll meet you there.

Send me an email if you want to talk more.

Sherry

PS--the girlie flowers are history.