PDA

View Full Version : My latest project

jbitzel
09-16-2004, 05:31 PM
here it is, my wife wanted me to paint on a stool for our son. Since we are in Florida I did a snow scene. C&C appreciated, I am a U.S. Marine, I can handle it. I would have liked to redo the limbs in the front tree, but I would have never got the background right again.

ree7
09-16-2004, 06:42 PM
candienjames,

hard to tell from the photos... are there two bunnies to the left of the tree? neat touch, if so.

adding some shadows from the trees would be cool... and maybe bring down some of the darker colors of the sky into the snow... like you did with the yellows.

i bet this was a fun 'canvas' to work on!

(by-the-way... your link to your other artwork doesn't seem to load for me)

ree

jbitzel
09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
fixed the link and I think I will scumb some shadows in. :wave:

DeusExMachina
09-17-2004, 07:10 AM
I would think that if there's bunnies in this picture they would be white. For any predators these stick out like a sore thumb.

I love the sky James. it's gorgeous.
I was just wondering about the amount of snow on the branches. It looks as if these trees have had a firm shaking, because there's hardly any on it.

But it does make a very nice stool indeed.

jbitzel
09-17-2004, 07:55 AM
As far the bunnies, I have spent alot of time in backwoods Indiana and I have only seen the white variety of these varmits domesticated. They must only exist farther north. The trees are in that stage where we only have a light snow but the snow on the ground has been there for months. :D

piper2
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Definitely pour on the shadows. The sun is going down, it's winter . . . they'd be long and thin and stretched out behind the trees and bunnies.

I like the folk art look of this.

sassybird
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Try and pick up some of the color from the sky in the shadows also. Shadows have many colors, and once you learn to see them they jump out at you. Snow also has many colors. It is all not just white. I like the way you have let the snow fall on the bare tree limbs. I think you are a bit confused about your light source. The sun is setting but your shadow of the tree seems to be coming from a light source to the right.

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 01:24 AM
Cool idea and love ya bunny rabbits :p :D
Stacey

jbitzel
09-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that 10 layers of minwax polycrylic later... my son liked his new stool. Like a true kid he almost hurt himself falling off it. I guess he will have to wait till he's 2.