PDA

View Full Version : Hey, it IS a new weave!

BlueBuddha
09-16-2004, 11:07 AM
I posted these earrings last week, and have since discovered that this "weave" is not known to maillers. They are clamouring for me to name it & submit it to the MAIL database of weaves.

I'm stuck on the name, though. I think I might want the word Fractal to be in there because theoretically, I could put even tinier rings in the current center ring (or bigger rings around the current large ones), and so on.

I don't know, though. All my creative juice was zapped making the thing, that now I have no energy left for naming. (Plus, I've never been good at the whole naming thing anyway).

So for those of you who were disappointed about not getting to name the other weave I did (that turned out not to be new), here's your chance to roll up your sleeves and let those names flow! :)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

toozygoot
09-16-2004, 11:34 AM
How exciting! I wish I could help come up with a name for this because I like it so much but all that comes to mind is "Saturnalia". Don't know why! I like Fractal a whole lot because it speaks to how modern this looks.

pat

Cyndi L
09-16-2004, 11:53 AM
What a pretty weave! How about something that plays on the idea of "double"? I like the fractal idea too ~ maybe some combination...

:)

BlueBuddha
09-16-2004, 12:09 PM
At this point, I'm actually thinking about Japanese Fractal (as it appears to be a Japanese weave). I may try to expand it by adding rows. If I do, I'll post a pic, as that might help with the naming process.

I *do* like the name "Saturnalia." It's that goth part of me, probably. ;) I may actually have to use that name for one of my necklaces. Thanks for the idea, Pat!

debkauz
09-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Whatever you decide, they are totally cool earrings! Way to go!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb :wave:

Andee
09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Rebeca - congrats!!! :clap: Can't come up with a name atm, but if I can think of anything I'll tell ya! :)

TheBlueBetween
09-16-2004, 03:06 PM
congrats - how fun!! The only words that come to my mind when seeing them is "mod" or "retro" - I'm sure those are horrible names for a CM weave ;)

Gingerbiscuit
09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
This is great! It reminds me of the solar system. :)

Oskadis
09-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Congrats!

Why does the name "world within" pop up in my mind? I am too deep into fantasy lately I think.... :wink2:

Way cool earrings :) Cheers!

BlueBuddha
09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Oooo, I like the solar system idea. (I volunteer at the local Planetarium :))

Here's the sheet version, or at least, what I could do so far. I ran out of the big rings, so I'll have to wait to expand this further. (plus it's sterling, so it's starting to get expensive!)

McDuck
09-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Rebeca that is so kewl and congrats!! I like fractal too. hmmm...not good at naming here either. Fractal . I kind of just like it plain...Fractal Weave

-Mary

Mary Riggs
09-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh, Rebecca, these earrings are simply stunning :clap:

The solor system came to my mind also. What about "Interlock Fractal", "Rings of Truth", "Amoeba", "Intertwined Nova". The Nasa web site has some cool names that might apply to the direction you're going with names.

Do we win the earrings if you choose our name? :D

PS: What about something pertaining to Einstein's theory of relativity? "Universe Weave" , etc.

toozygoot
09-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Mary - I like the Nova part! Nova = star! Nova = new! Super Nova Fractal?

OK! That's a bit much! Just the idea of creating something new and having it be so beautiful and have so many possibilities!!! Almost, not quite, like Stephanie over in "Glass" having new babies tomorrow!!!

pat

Bangs
09-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Wow, I really like it! Congrats on creating a new weave; that's gotta feel so cool!

Charlee
09-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Oh way too cool! I like Saturnalia. :clap:

beclectic
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
How about Orbits Weave, Bullseye Weave, Pi r Round Weave, SETI Weave ...?

I'll think of some more maybe. It is a lovely weave and especially nice in SS.

Edited to add: What about somethng to do with crop circles, Land Here Weave or the fractel idea, Fractacular Weave.

Trey
09-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Very nice!! It is a very eye pleasing design. I really love maille- just don't have the patience for it. :rolleyes:
Traci

BlueBuddha
09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. Barbara, I really like the whole SETI / Land Here idea. Bullseye is good too, but I think that's the name of a weave already.

So many choices, so many choices. I'm going to have to make up some more weaves, just so I can use some of the names you guys came up with! ;)

Hmm, maybe I will toss in a pair of earrings to you if I use your name for the weave. Sneaky, Mary...but a great idea!

-Rebeca (off to check out the NASA site)

Mary Riggs
09-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey, Rebeca, just here to help.......... :evil:

beadyeyedgirls
09-17-2004, 05:02 PM
beautiful weave, both in column & sheet!! how very cool!! :cool: :clap:

Patricia'sglass
09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
That weave is just beautiful. It just flows and your eye just eases from one set of rings to the next. I like the spaces between the rings. So many weaves are solid and look heavy. Yours is so eye pleasing. Gotta have some space between as Dave says. Poetry :clap:

tamjai
09-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Gotta have some space between as Dave says. Poetry :clap:
it's all about the negative space..!
tam

Patricia'sglass
09-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Good food for thought.

CanBeaDace
09-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi! This is my first post here at WC--figured it was time to quit lurking, LOL.

Your design spoke to me, so I had to speak up. How about Fractal Evolution Weave? Really pretty design!

beclectic
09-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Welcome to Wearable Art. Hope to see you in some of the other threads.

BlueBuddha
09-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad you like this design. I love your name suggestion, but I've decided to name it Bull's-Eye, since it turns out that there really wasn't already a weave with that name. (I want to start a band, now though, and name it Fractal Evolution. :) Too cool.)

Getting a bit more technical, the earrings you see here would actually be called "bull's-eye 2 chain" The 2 refers to the number of cocentric rings. Most weaves would probably have no more than 3 or 4 (otherwise it gets too bulky), but a super-large rain chain could easily have 7 or even 8.

The Sheet weave I made would be "Bull's-eye 2 sheet 4-in-1" (4 "spokes" radiating from the cocentric rings).

This way, one can do many variations on this weave, and still have a very descriptive name for each one.

Thanks again for all the great ideas. Now I'm off to try and create some more weaves! Well, actually, off to complete some comissions. THEN create new weaves. (Food on the table first, fun second! ;))

beclectic
09-29-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm so excited you chose the name I suggested. I like it a lot because it is so descriptive of the look of this weave. :D