PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Frog Jetty

Marty C
09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi All,
This is the Jolly Frog Jetty, taking it's name from the restaurant which sits on top of the hill just behind it. Normally it is a fish magnet and is packed with people trying to land dinner. In the middle of winter it's a different story, and on calm evenings it's possible to get the jetty to yourself, as long as you don't mind sharing with the ever present pelicans. This is just a short walk from home for me.
This is on Gallery wrap canvas, 1000mm by 750mm, 40ins by 30ins. I'm doing a WIP of this over in the Marine Art Forum, so you are getting a sneak preview. As always, C&C much appreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/16809-Jolly_Frog_Jetty_Final1.jpg

ExpressiveAngie
09-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Marty your work is always so outstanding. Thats the reason I just love any little praise from you :D . The dock is picture perfect. The water, the horizon, my goodness you are really good at your craft! I am off to look at the WIP....

Moosehead
09-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Stunning as usual Marty. Great composition.

mooz49
09-16-2004, 10:30 AM
This is beautiful - are you using paynes grey? I love using that colour. I went over to the Marine Art Forum but could not find it ........... I will go and have another look ............ maybe this time I will put my glasses on! :D

Eileenjm
09-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Well Marty if I want my paintings to look as lovely as this I had better follow Angie and Mooz over to the Marine Art forum :D Beautiful work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen.

Faded
09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Another beauty Marty. This looks a lot like my area here on the coast of Rhode Island (The Ocean State) Great job.
-Faded

joa
09-16-2004, 09:02 PM
I love the mood you have pictured--when I have been out on early winter mornings, being a little chilled, and waiting for the sun to come up and make me warm. It's a special kind of feeling, especially when there isn't anybody else around, just quiet except for the gulls. (Looks like this guy may get rained on, and that's another mood! Drat!)

Jo

Marty C
09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi Angie, Jon, Mooz, Eileen and Faded
Thanks all for your kind comments. For those who missed the WIP, I posted this first and was still getting the WIP up when comments started coming in. It is there in Marine now, I'll add more to it today. Thanks again! :wave:

ree7
09-16-2004, 09:35 PM
beautiful!

HRH Goldie
09-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I deliberately look for your pieces now Marty and this one is the icing on the proverbial cake so far! :clap:
I like the way you've painted the light shafts in the background I always think there is something quite religious going on when I see light like that. Probably to do with the old saying about the sun shining on the righteous.
The way you've done it is subtle and it draws the eye up and through the painting. It would have been so easy (like something I would do :rolleyes: ) to overpaint them, much more dramatic this way.
Is this yourself in the painting? At first I thought the light reflection in the foreground water was too much to the right but after studying the shape of the jetty and its shadow I see you wouldn't do it any other way. Therefore I've learned a couple more things already :D
I'm curious how long the water took you though? My painting of Galloway castle had many dark almost black ripples going over and I thought it would look silly if I did that so this is really interesting for me. Shall visit the WIP tomorrow as it is an ungodly time of the night/morning :wave:

Christine

DeusExMachina
09-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Marty I can't help but envy your great skill and the location of your home. This looks like a perfect spot for a forlorn daydreamer or philosopher to hang out when nobody's watching.
Or, indeed, perfect for a painter. :D

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Marty,...Brother, I'm definitely inpsired man!!!!! I'm new to canvas painting and struggling but your piece of art here helps me want to keep going and wanting to improve. Awesome painting!!!

God Bless,...Steven :clap: ;) :wave:

it'sALLart
09-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Wow, been absent for a while on here but when i come back there's always so many great things to see, your's being one of the best, as usual, Marty.

I think the whole thing is great, but my only nit (hate being a thorn in so many roses here) would be that the rocks on the lower right might look a tiny bit flat near the water... something about them isn't working for me.

Perhaps if it was larger I'd be better informed... WC's limitations can be a pain sometimes. However, the water is really nice and I'm jealous. Wish I could paint ripples in water as well... hope to give it another try soon.

Great job, but then you always do well!

piper2
09-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Marty,

Not to be redundant, but your technique is flawless. This painting could very easily be a scene from my home county. The water looks so . . .wet!

sassybird
09-17-2004, 03:33 PM
This is such a fine painting. The sky and water are wonderful, and you did a great job on the shadows in the water. A fine job all the way around.

Marty C
09-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi Jo - thanks for your comments. This is evening but same chilly feeling, and he didn't get wet! :D
Hi Ree - thanks!
Hi Christine - no, it's not me. He was a serious fisherman, it was really quite cold, but he was all kitted up, right down to a pipe! All up this took me around 12 hours, most time on the water and jetty.
Hi DeusExMachina - actually it's normally a pretty busy spot, not so good for some solitary thinking. The cold kept the crowd away this day.
Hi Steven - I'm glad it has helped to keep you motivated. Thanks!
Hi Keith - thanks so much for your comments and critique. The rocks are my wife's least fav part, as you say the weak point. Great to get a critique, they are the always invaluable to me, it helps me learn and improve so a huge thanks. :clap:
Hi Piper - thank you very much(head swelling badly...)
Hi Charissa - many thanks also, I'm generally happy with this, but as always there are things I could improve, but I'll leave it or I'll end up killing it with kindness.

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 02:12 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I feel like I am standing right there, its just that realistic :envy: :envy:
Beautiful
Stacey

Marty C
09-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks very much, Stacey

ShellyF
09-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Beautiful painting! Your perspective is great, and I really love the bit of sun rays coming down in the distance. If I ever decide to take up landscape painting I am coming back here to study your work. :)

Lady Carol
09-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Marty this is somewhat different from your rollers. I like the monochromatic-ness of it. No crits

Marty C
09-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi Shelly & Carol,
Thanks so much to you both for taking the time to look and comment, I really appreciate hearing from you.

Vicki_Oz
09-19-2004, 09:56 PM
What I find most interesting is your ability to capture the vastness of Oz without losing the intimacy of the moment.

Lovely!

Kind regards
Vicki

Marty C
09-21-2004, 08:03 AM
H Vicki,
That's a very nice compliment, thank you. I hadn't considered my work in that light before and it's given me something to think about.