PDA

View Full Version : S&T Thursday, September 16, 2004

Oskadis
09-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Wow I get to start S&T today :D

While in bed I distracted myself from the pain in my leg making jewelry.

Here are the results :)

Oskadis
09-16-2004, 06:09 AM
And my earhanger spree as well :)

OK and now I stop hogging for a while.

Have a great day!

beclectic
09-16-2004, 07:37 AM
What a great bunch of treats you've worked up. The headpiece is a little heavier than your usual super light weight headpieces but I prefer this one. The front is exceptionally pretty and the little mediallions on the side are a nice touch. I like all the earrings but especially the bats. They would be perfect for Halloween.

My number finally got called in the Chinese auction so now I can show the gift I made for it.

This is something new for me. Not only have I never made a pin before but I've never made a figure before. The inspiration for this piece is the Red Hat Society and I call her Red Haired Lady. The wire is sterling, her neck piece is a Bali bead cap, the little textured beads in her legs are silver plated brass and everything else is glass.

carebear
09-16-2004, 08:15 AM
that headpiece is wonderful! makes me wish for long hair! :) I really like the back of it, and the heaviness of it as well....beautiful work...(and the earrings are wonderful too!)

I adore the pin! we're having a red hat convention in our town next weekend...I know a bunch of the ladies would go nuts over something like that!

Here's my contribution for the day....using pearls and swarovski - not my usual thing but it was a request from someone...the swarovski sure makes it sparkle tho!

have a wonderful day everyone!

carrie

beclectic
09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
that headpiece is wonderful! makes me wish for long hair! :) I really like the back of it, and the heaviness of it as well....beautiful work...(and the earrings are wonderful too!)

I adore the pin! we're having a red hat convention in our town next weekend...I know a bunch of the ladies would go nuts over something like that!

Here's my contribution for the day....using pearls and swarovski - not my usual thing but it was a request from someone...the swarovski sure makes it sparkle tho!

have a wonderful day everyone!

carrie

Thanks for the compliment about my pin. I guess if we ever have one of those conventions here I should try to make a bunch of different looking ones in that color combination and get them into a downtown gallery. It's a though, I'll check out the Red Hat schedule.

I like the bracelet very much. Do you have a bigger picture? I want to see that swarovski better. Your picture can be a maximum of 500 x 600 pixels and it must be under 200KB (for the manage attachment way of posting pictures) but that still leaves a lot of room for a larger picture. If you use the Image Uploader in the Quick Links then the maximum size for a picture is 100KB.

McDuck
09-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Karen - that head piece is the best so far. I REALLY like this one. I agree with Barbara, the front is exceptionally pretty! and i like the lil bat earrings. how cute!

Barbara - that lil guy is so cute! How ever did youcome up with it?

Carrie, i like the bracelet. Very nice.

More from me later...

Mary

beclectic
09-16-2004, 08:56 AM
<snip>

Barbara - that lil guy is so cute! How ever did youcome up with it?

<snip>

Mary

I wish I could say it sprang out of my head but I saw some in a book, read the instructions, made the instructions less wasteful of wire and then did what the instructions said. The color scheme and bead choice were my idea but it is a lot like the ones in the book. Oh, I used SS wire instead of the craft wire the instructions called for. I'm thinking that some made with colored wire would be pretty cool too.

Andee
09-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Karen - I'm glad you're back, I missed you around here! Hope your leg will soon be okay again! And great stuff, I especially like the bat-earrings!

Barbara - finally!! ;) I love your pin!!!

Carry - lovely bracelet!

Juls
09-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Karen, that headdress is stunning. It does look a bit heavier/sturdier..this one I think even I could wear! I also love the fiery earrings.

Barbara, That pin is just TOO cute! I know several Red Hat ladies that would love to own one I'm sure!

Carrie, Very pretty bracelet! I love those 2 hole swarovski castings...schparkly AND functional!

Mary..come on already! I'm ready for some of your kiln eye candy!

From me is a reversible peyote bracelet...the pics are the same bracelet, viewed from both sides. I'm an army wife so I do a lot in RW&B...and the other side is jungle and desert issue camoflauge for our year in Iraq and our current year in Korea. (bead therapy works wonders for late night loneliness. ;) )

Happy Thursday, everyone!~
~Juls

Charlee
09-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Karen, that headpiece is stunning! I'm with Carrie - makes me want long hair again. And the earrings are really nice, tres Goth. ;)

Barbara, your pin made me laugh out loud - what attitude! I love it! Do check into the REd Hat schedule - I've sold some locally. Mostly costume-ish stuff, but a few nicer things too. They seem to really like sparkle, so I use some of the Pure Allure sliders with Swarovski crystals. I wish those sliders came in sterling. I'd buy tons if they did.

Carrie, I want to see a more closer upper pic of your bracelet. It looks nice, but I couldn't make out much detail.

Juls, there you go again with those eency beads. That is such a faboo design!

toozygoot
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Karen - I love the drama of all your pieces but those bottom earrings really speak to me! I would have loved to wear one of your head pieces back when I was young and had long hair!

Barbara - that is such an adorable pin!

Carrie - I love how the pearls criss-cross like that! I've actually made a couple that way myself with these neat silver beads that have two way holes.

Juls - that is so cool how you did that! Perfect for those in the armed services! For the Air Force do you think sky and clouds would work for the reverse of the RW&B?

pat

Juls
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Thank you Charlee. :wave:

Pat, I think sky and clouds would work great for AF! That gives me an idea for another Reversible! Thanks! :clap:

~Juls

TheBlueBetween
09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
All wonderful work again! Juls, I have a question - your bracelet looks like the squares are puffed? Are they stuffed or is it just the photo??

:clap: :clap:

And YAY Barbara - your number finally got called!!!!

Juls
09-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Pam,

Yes they are stuffed for a little puff. :D Makes for a great 3D effect out of "flat" peyote.

~Juls

Andee
09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Juls - that bracelet is so neat, what a great idea!! :clap:

tamisgem
09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
WOW what amazing talent!
That head piece is absolutely amazing! How elegant!
The earrings...and the pin...the bracelets..dang y'all just amaze me!

I finally finished the necklace for my SIL's wedding :clap: !!! This has taken me over a month and more than 8 different designs. Each time she "liked" it but wanted something different. Mind you this is MY gift to her to do all the jewelry for the wedding. So this is IT! No more! LOL if she doesn't like it then it is going to Juls!
Oh and sorry for the pict. I am still learning.

framerak
09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
You guys do such beautiful work! Karen, the headpiece is a stunner! Love the third pair of earrings too!

Juls, what a great idea to puff up the peyote stitch! So clever and I love the beaded toggles!

Barbara, the pin is the perfect sassy red hat gal. I like the idea of doing some in colored wire too. Glad your number came up so we could see the results!

Carrie, those 2-hole sliders are fabulous with pearls. I've done a few bracelets with them using double-drilled pearls and they sell like hotcakes. Of course, in my opinion pearls go with everything!

And that wedding necklace is gorgeous! How could your sister not fall in love with it?? What a great wedding gift too. Put me in line behind Juls for your castoffs!! :wink2:

Framing like crazy today so I've got nothing new to show today. Maybe if I get through these framing orders I can play with my Dutch spiral some more...

Angela

Oskadis
09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Awesome work!

Barbara, that pin raised my mood today quite a bit :) Btw what is this red hat lady society ?
Lovely bracelet, carry.
Juls, I am amazed at your weaving skills!

Oh and that wedding necklace - I bet the bride will look stunning with it :)

Thanks for all the feedback :) You are the best :wink2:

carebear
09-16-2004, 06:43 PM
ok..here's the best scan I can do! hope it brings some details..
the swarovskis are I believe called a capris blue...very brilliant blue...
(and thanks for all the nice compliments!)
:p

carebear
09-16-2004, 06:46 PM
sorry, this one didn't upload!

jessicah
09-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi!
I usually hang out at the glass forums, but thought I'd pop in here tonight for a change, since I seem to be on a jewelry making binge. I'm sure glad I did. What beautiful work you all do :clap: :clap:

beclectic
09-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Awesome work!

Barbara, that pin raised my mood today quite a bit :) Btw what is this red hat lady society ?
Lovely bracelet, carry.
Juls, I am amazed at your weaving skills!

Oh and that wedding necklace - I bet the bride will look stunning with it :)

Thanks for all the feedback :) You are the best :wink2:

Here is a site that explains the poem (http://www.wheniamanoldwoman.com/pages/348544/index.htm) that inspired the society. The name of the poem is "Warning". Here is the whole poem (http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethystbt/Whenigetold.html) but read it now before the site is found and taken down because of copyright restrictions.

Tho society is called 'The Red Hat Society'. The idea is that when a women gets old she can do things she wasn't allowed to do in her youth. An example is wear a purple dress with a red hat. Since my pin doesn't have a hat I made her hair red in honor of this idea.

Carrie, thanks for the bigger picture. I can see the detail better now. I like those sworavski links they are beautiful but I like even better what you have done with them.