PDA

View Full Version : Llangranog new version- Arnold Lowrey

Arnold Lowrey
09-16-2004, 06:04 AM
This is a new version of llangranog rock. It is a full sheet soft pastel on grey Canson Mi-Tientes paper
Hope you like it
Arnold

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/47691-Llangranog_2_16_copy.jpg

Arnold Lowrey
09-16-2004, 06:10 AM
This is a detail of the above painting
Arnold

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/47691-Llangranog_2_detail.jpg

Doeark
09-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Wow! Great! Itīs fantastic how youīve captured the strong, powerful movement of the water and the dramatic colors really help to create a special mood.
Have you done this plein air and are you using your own photos as a reference to capture that moment of action?

Dirk.

Arnold Lowrey
09-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Wow! Great! Itīs fantastic how youīve captured the strong, powerful movement of the water and the dramatic colors really help to create a special mood.
Have you done this plein air and are you using your own photos as a reference to capture that moment of action?

Dirk.
Hello Dirk,
I worked from sketches and imagination
Arnold

Paula Ford
09-16-2004, 06:51 AM
WOW, this is just gorgeous!!

Could you describe to us how you do that water?

Thank you,
Paula

Doeark
09-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Thatīs even more admirable then!

Dirk.

Hello Dirk,
I worked from sketches and imagination
Arnold

MollyUnlimited
09-16-2004, 07:24 AM
This is just OUTSTANDING! I love the rock at Llangranog! Your depiction of the wet shoreline and the water striking the rock just mystifies me. I'm thinking I need to plan a trip over there to see where this is and gaze at it in person, though I'll bet the beauty in your paintings surpasses the real thing.

Arnold Lowrey
09-16-2004, 07:25 AM
WOW, this is just gorgeous!!

Could you describe to us how you do that water?

Thank you,
Paula
Hello Paula
Remeber, the sky and rocks must be dark enough or you will not see the foam and spray.The background spray was put on with plenty of pastel and pussed quickly into the sky with my fingers. It wont work unless you shout "whoosh" as you do it. Trust me- Ha
The forefround foam get their ruffness by scumbling the pastel lightly onthe surface.
To get movement into your paintings you must have rough or soft edges or better still, both
This gives a dynamic to the painting.
Arnold

judwal
09-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Wow...and it looks like you use the "rough" side of the canson paper too. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/43597-disbelief_shock.gifAmazing!

khourianya
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
It wont work unless you shout "whoosh" as you do it. Trust me- Ha

Ha ha! I love that! I'll have to remember that when I attempt my next seascape! :D

This is stunning, as usual, Arnold. I'm your biggest fan! I would love to take one of your workshop when I visit Wales (hopefully in the next couple years).

Khadres
09-16-2004, 12:56 PM
wow, Arnold! We should have you painting Hurricanes over here this year! The southeast has definitely had its share and then some of WHOOSH! goin' on!

Love the colors in that foam and splash!

Arnold Lowrey
09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
A few things i didn't mention when using soft pastels
First ,I paint them vertically and place a piece of V shaped card underneath the board. This allows a lip ( about 3 inches to protrude along the base.
It catches all the spare dust and also the odd pastel that slips through your fingers.
The other is concerned with getting powerful colour to stick to the paper. If you put too much of one colour on top of another, it doesn't grip and skids.
I don't use fixative, which is used for this purpose, very often because it darkens the pastel colour.
But on canson paper, I scrape down with the edge of a razor blade. This takes off all the excess pastel down to the paper tooth yet, miraculously, doesn't destroy what you have painted so far.
Arnold

Khadres
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Two very good tips! I've started using a "crumb catcher" on my easel too....works quite well. Good idea about the Canson too...I've never tried scraping off the excess like that! Boy, ya learn something new every day! Thanks!

mrs willow
09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Hello Arthur! Like others who have commented before me, I am also very impressed with your dramatic painting and also very interested in your methods. :clap: :clap:
Thank you for the tips you have given. I am about to try the "crumb catcher"
idea as well. It may make it possible to do my pastels indoors without being banished to the shed.
Sandy

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Your works seem to get a lot of eye appeal with a minimum amount of strokes...something that I am sure you developed by paying many dues. Your style is uniquely yours!

Mikki Petersen
09-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Simply Stunning! I love the emotional impact your painting has. Guess it comes from shouting "Whoosh!" because the whole piece seems to shout "Whoosh!" I'll have to try that.