Hi teachers!
I found this address when looking around for painting tips

http://www.dickblick.com/lessonplans/lessonplans/

hopelance
11-03-2001, 11:23 PM
This is a great link Rosemarie! Thanks for posting!!:clap:

sue ellen
11-05-2001, 04:45 PM
what a great link! anyone have any links to art lesson plans for high school students with Behavior Problems???? :)

~sue ellen

nightblooming
12-01-2001, 03:41 PM
It doesn't look like this forum sees a lot of action; however, I'll give a post a try!

I, too work with behaviorally challenged children, both pre-adolescent and adolescent. I would love some ideas for safe, minimally frustrating creative/artisitic activities that I can do with them.

BTW, I live with these kids for a week at a time (followed by a week off). We are in the White Mountains of NH, and I am eager to find activities for those long, cold, shut-in evenings and weekends (we do NOT have television). The more I can engage them, the more smoothly things tend to go!

Thanks,

nb

sue ellen
12-01-2001, 09:41 PM
Hi NB,
you are right..this forum is the no mans land of posts! :D but i would like to see that change!

I work with high school Behavior Disorder students in an Alternitive high school. I team teach several subjects and i am the art teacher on staff.
i am busy doing some research and adapting for some of my former lesson plans. Maybe we can share ideas! I will be posting some plans soon.

Lets see if we can get this forum moving! :)

~sue ellen

nightblooming
12-02-2001, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the quick response, Sue Ellen! It would be great to get this forum moving.

I worked with middle school and high school students in an alternative school for about five years. It was quite an experience.....but strangely enough, I continue to work with BD kids, lol.

I have never taught art--I have never even motivated myself to get a teaching certificate:(-- and have only recently discovered art as something that feeds my soul. I would really like to quit my job and study art full time.....but then reality intrudes...

Anyhow, I would love to see your lesson plans. After a year with the same staff, the kids in my house are really blossoming, and they now feel safe enough to get excited about new things. I recently started working in pastel, and when I brought them into work, the kids hung all over me and were thrilled with everything I produced. I ended up buying pastels and paper for the house and a couple of the kids are really into it! (The kids are great for my self-esteem, too: every week when I come on shift, they demand to see any new work I have done. They love it all, from sketches to finished paintings.)

I am thinking about getting sketchbooks for all 6 kids for Christmas and having all of us (myself and my shift partner included) keep sketch diaries with monthly themes. This is really becoming fun...

nightblooming

billyjo30
12-03-2001, 11:43 PM
I worked as a counselor in an inner city just north of Boston. I think having the kids work with pastels is a wonderful idea. Good luck!!

sue ellen
12-06-2001, 07:24 PM
i am still working on my modified lesson plans. I find that the hardest thing about the modifications is making the information detailed enough with out losing the students interest! that is hard enough for regular ed kids....but almost impossible for BD kids.

any idea to break a lesson up so that i can keep them interested?

~sue ellen

nightblooming
12-08-2001, 09:28 AM
That'a a tough one...it depends on so many things. How many kids you have in a class, how severe their behaviors are, what kind of relationships you have with them, what kind of support staff is available, etc. And if they aren't actually interested in acquiring some artistic skills (it seems to me that most kids would like to be able to draw, but few older adolescents in this population are actually interested in crafty sorts of projects), then your goose is cooked. It will be one more thing they HAVE to do.

I should ask my little band of cherubs here (I am at work right now) for their ideas and suggestions. These kids can be stunningly insightful at the most surprising times...

Take care,

nightblooming

Bendaini
02-28-2002, 08:19 PM
What a great way to get your kids into art :)
and i have 3 so this is great for me

Shehaub
03-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks for posting this. My kids are already talking about summer, so I am starting to look at some activities we can do. I have a 6-pack (our pet name for them as a group) ranging from 14-4 in age. They don't do a very good job of teaching art in our schools, so I thought I would open the garage door and all of us play around out there, so we can be as messy as we want to be.