PDA

View Full Version : wip pastel of JCoop

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Ok, it's supposed to look like Josh...

16x24" darker gray Mi Teintes - on the crummy side (didn't notice the honeycombs at first until I was already gathering steam and couldn't bring myself to quit this...)

No, his head isn't floating; I've already started on a shirt...
I still have work but how is it so far?

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok, it's supposed to look like Josh...

...... andddddd it does indeed....... well done...... its coming along GREAT :clap:

.... just keep a check on the underneath, chin area, may be a bit too much

prestonsega
09-15-2004, 04:40 PM
16x24" darker gray Mi Teintes - on the crummy side (didn't notice the honeycombs at first ..

Even in this early stage, you have captured his likeness......As to the Canson paper...I made the same mistake once....You can bet it won't happen again...for me at least....You may find you like it better...some pastelists do prefer the larger toothed side......

my only suggestion at this stage would be to start with some of the background......

khourianya
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
This looks awesome. great skin tones!

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm, head floating in the air; no background. Can you see where I lack in setting up a project? I'm always thinking I will "just practice" - just to see if I can do anything - so I proceed without planning, and barely thinking...

Lordy, I've no clue to a background...

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Oh, almost forgot: underneath the chin is too much, I think. I'll tone it down.

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 04:48 PM
How come I can't just delete a post if I accidentally sent the same one twice? Am I missing something?

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 04:54 PM
How come I can't just delete a post if I accidentally sent the same one twice? Am I missing something?

you can not delete a post, but you can go back an edit it, if you are in the time frame set to do it ..... think only Moderators can delete

JCoop
09-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey!!!!!.......That's me!!!!!!

Faith... awsome, just awsome!!! I'm very, very flattered! You gave me some facial hair... It looks great! Your portraiture is really coming along very nicely. I'm so proud to be on the receiving end of your pastels! I can't wait to see how you handle the rest. although my head in your artwork is proportionate, I think my actual head is growing disproportionately large due to all the attention.

Thanks Faith!... I'll be back.

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I think my actual head is growing disproportionately large due to all the attention.

lol! In that case, I won't tell you what I was thinking...

Just kidding - I'm happily married, as you know. But I was definitely thinking how much better it is to stand in front of a portrait of someone that's great looking; makes the mistakes much more tolerable. And that's my famous art tip for everyone...

I think your right eyelid is not quite open enough, at the center - upper lid. And I'm wondering if I accidentally messed with the left one and made you cross-eyed.

Here's an update, end of day one. Don't know what I'm doing with that background...

bnoonan
09-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Oh it's really good and I hope you will continue on your portraits. the likeness is great!!!

Barb

Grasshopper
09-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Thank you, Barb. Thanks everyone. Will update tomorrow [yawn]....

Dyin
09-15-2004, 10:00 PM
This is coming along great! But before you go too far, use a straight line to check the eyes. His left, our right, is too high...the eyes, nostrils and mouth should all be the same angle. If you bring that eye down (and I think every one of us portrait artists does this :rolleyes: ) then you'll have a really great piece here...he is sort of handsome but we better not tell him...he may not be able to get in the forum door (teehee...hi Joel :wave: )

ElfeUra
09-16-2004, 03:27 AM
Just: :clap: :clap:

Rita

Grasshopper
09-16-2004, 07:51 AM
2 clappies! I GOT 2 CLAPPIES!! Why, I don't need to fix no stinkin' eye; I got 2 clappies!

Ahem, back to reality. Yes, I do need to fix the eye. I will do it today reluctantly/with much trepidation that I'll screw it up...

Now that I've been playing around trying to find a background that I like (not succeeded) it's dulling the colors of Joel. At least before he popped [sigh].

Grasshopper
09-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Dyin' (what is your real name - just can't call you dyin')...

You are saying just lower the entire eye, including brow. The slant/angle, size, etc. are ok as is, right???

I'm posting the original pic Joel gave me. I used it to draw around the outermost outline (is this cheating - does anyone else do this?) but just eyeballed everything else as I looked at it so I appreciate the proportion checking. I copied the pic full-sheet size and taped it alongside my drawing, which helped immensely.

Dyin
09-16-2004, 12:22 PM
lol! Just remember...it's only paper. I know it's hard to look at it that way but it takes off some stress. You should be able to brush it out. On the background you can just spread around some colors you've used or try to use a complementary color to a major color there. Next time try dee_artists method of scrubbing in colors before starting...then no background worries!!! Really....I have scrubbed off an eye in OP...after spending hours to try to make it work how it was...it's a no go that way. Remember it's all a learning process and next time you'll remember to get the placement down in a pre-sketch first...it's all a process. But you do get more clappies :clap: :clap: for everything else you did so well!!

Grasshopper
09-16-2004, 01:38 PM
[blush] thanks.

Ok, I've tried this background (before readin' the last post, of course). Let me know if it works or doesn't. I used the background from colors I used in his face. I'm having a hard time pinpointing any shadow/shaded areas; I see 2 light sources in the orig, too... I think I have it right. Also, I put a bit more of the background color in his shirt, though I did use it there already lightly...

Is the eye better? Again, I changed it before reading the post. Do I really need to scrub it out? I did that in an oil painting and I still haven't painted eyes back in!

Dyin
09-16-2004, 01:46 PM
my suggestion would be to darken the background a bit on his highlight side and it should pop more...try it in a photo program first...ok...you don't need to scrub it out, but you need to bring the bottom of HIS left eye down so the eye is the same size as the other and is on the same line as the angle of his nostrils...I think you can do it so it looks right. Greens would have popped him more but this gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling :)

Grasshopper
09-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I poked my fingers in his eye, scrubbed most of it out and it's changed. Now I'm wondering if the iris is too big on his left.

I need to work a tish on the area between his lip and chin but I think I'm close to done. I did try a green background but felt it deaden things too much. I added a little shadow but not much - do I need more?

Dyin
09-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I think you did great with eye, you could bring the bottom lid of the other eye up and I think that will solve the size issue...or at least call for just a minimal change. I think you've caught Joel's personality just perfect...I've never seen him in person, but he's one of the biggest hearted guys I've cyber-met and that shows here. I like the background color now. :clap: Perhaps you should cross post this in Portraiture and see what other help you can get! They're really a good bunch over there too.

Grasshopper
09-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Here's the "honeycomb" effect of this paper. It's difficult to work with, difficult to fill in enough to look right. Is it still worthy of my time and effort? I'd say so, though I really wish I had done it on the smoother side!

JCoop
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Bless your heart Faith. Now that you have immortalized me, I will live forever!
Don't worry, I'm immune to pokes in the eye!... I have my son to thank for that!
You've finished very nicely. I love the choices you have made. I have a co-worker standing over my shoulder and she too is very impressed with your portrait. I don't know what I did to deserve your attention, but I'm greatful.

Faith, you're awsome! I hope you don't mind me showing it off... I plan to email it to my friends and family!

P.S. Sue, thanks for you kind words. I feel the same way about you too.